Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Lounge Akubra Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Stoney said:
Maybe we can get the pin and the hat(s) going at the same time.

I like the suggestion of three styles, open road type, a wide brim and a stingy...
but of course if we can only do one then my vote is....

A) High crown 4 1/2" to 5 "
B) 2 1/4" Snap Brim
C) 2" Grossgrain Contrasting Ribbon
D) No taper in the crown.
E) Semi Stiff , not too loose but not a cowboy hat either
F) Complete with 3/4" Fedora Lounge pin (no text) centered on the bow.
G) In Black, Taupe,Light Blue and some shade of Green or Green Taupe. *We all have plenty of brown and tan hats.

And most importantly; priced at a fair value for the hat.
I can get behind that description right to the T. :) Altho I'd like to amend the "city hat" requirement so that it doesn't look too out of place in old growth suburbs or picturesque small towns. (I guess this means "don't make me look like I carry a gun or a prayerbook." :rolleyes:)

Sator

New in Town
Stoney said:
Maybe we can get the pin and the hat(s) going at the same time.

I like the suggestion of three styles, open road type, a wide brim and a stingy...
but of course if we can only do one then my vote is....

A) High crown 4 1/2" to 5 "
B) 2 1/4" Snap Brim
C) 2" Grossgrain Contrasting Ribbon
D) No taper in the crown.
E) Semi Stiff , not too loose but not a cowboy hat either
F) Complete with 3/4" Fedora Lounge pin (no text) centered on the bow.
G) In Black, Taupe,Light Blue and some shade of Green or Green Taupe. *We all have plenty of brown and tan hats.

And most importantly; priced at a fair value for the hat.

This is already sounding promising (and so far quite bloodless). Then again I will be guided by you gentlemen as to the ultimate choice. If others come up with good ideas I would put it up for a vote.

It is still early days, and hopefully more people will chip in with opinions soon.

Sator

New in Town
So where is this civil war, bloodbath and descent into total chaos which was predicted lol?

I need a bit more guidance. In terms of the technical specifications (apart from the design of the hat eg crown height etc which we can work out in due course):

1. Heritage Quality
2. Colours such as taupe, black, green if available in Heritage Quality
3. Grosgrain ribbon (probably contrasting)

But what about the trolley cord (I assume this the same as the 'lapel cord' found on the Akubra Fedora)?

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=57&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

I am sure many of you guys have bespoke hats. What other details do you need to ask for? Are there specific things in the making of the hat I should request?

Also what about a name for the hat, guys? Or would you just want The Fedora Lounge printed on the inside of the hat in the usual place Akubra prints the hat model name?

I am going to make serious enquiries about this, so I can come up with a quote for a price etc.

Stoney

Practically Family
I'm utterly shocked

This is the most agreeable I've ever seen everyone on a topic. Not that folks here typically argue but there is normally some debate involved when we start talking about style.

The specs I mentioned are the ones I would use to have a custom hat built for myself. I really did not expect so many responses without changing the basic specifications.

We may have homogenized some of our ideas about what makes an ideal fedora by discussing our likes and dislikes in this open forum. However, I'm standing by to see the discussion really start.

Additional points for consideration are the type of finish on the felt and
the extent of curl on the snap brim

I still think we need to look at some variation in the design in order to ensure acceptace by the majority of FL members. I suggest the following as options.

A) Brim width 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2" or maybe more for the zoot suiters
B) Ribbon Bound Edge or Mode Edge
C) Wind trolly. Maybe we use the FL logo on the wind trolly button. Hmmmm

One thing is for sure.. If we start to get serious about this MK must be involved. The FL logo belongs to the guy in charge.

Gotta go, I'm heading down to Charleston S.C. for a week.
BTW... Anyone know of any good hat shops in the area?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Funny you should say that...

Stoney said:
This is the most agreeable I've ever seen everyone on a topic. Not that folks here typically argue but there is normally some debate involved when we start talking about style.

The specs I mentioned are the ones I would use to have a custom hat built for myself. I really did not expect so many responses without changing the basic specifications.

We may have homogenized some of our ideas about what makes an ideal fedora by discussing our likes and dislikes in this open forum. However, I'm standing by to see the discussion really start.

Additional points for consideration are the type of finish on the felt and
the extent of curl on the snap brim

I still think we need to look at some variation in the design in order to ensure acceptace by the majority of FL members. I suggest the following as options.

A) Brim width 2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2" or maybe more for the zoot suiters
B) Ribbon Bound Edge or Mode Edge
C) Wind trolly. Maybe we use the FL logo on the wind trolly button. Hmmmm

One thing is for sure.. If we start to get serious about this MK must be involved. The FL logo belongs to the guy in charge.

Gotta go, I'm heading down to Charleston S.C. for a week.
BTW... Anyone know of any good hat shops in the area?

Well, it's rather funny that you should say that because I was just thinking that we do indeed need to talk to our fearless leader about that. I had another idea, why don't we take up a poll on a list of which vendors are commonly used here on the Lounge and then put it to a vote? Just my .02 and if you think it's rummy, I won't be offended.

Jon

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sator, welcome to the Lounge. I've wondered before why you weren't over here.

The idea sounds like a good one. I'm not experienced enough with hats to offer much by way of design suggestions, although coming up with something that, as you mention, revives a classic style sounds sensible. Although the advantage is that one could tweak that design to make it 'better', if possible.

I will weigh in on the color (or would that be 'colour' for you, Sator?) suggestion. I think charcoal and/or midnight blue might be nice; somehow taupe, black and green doesn't get me excited. See the color of Snrbfshn's new 'Tom 'n Jerry'. In fact, maybe that Knox Tom 'n Jerry could be a model for the new hat. Perhaps we could see some pics of the Whippet and the Tom 'n Jerry, etc., as model possibilities.

At any rate, I support the idea, and would be interested in buying one if it ends up being 'right'. Thanks for the suggestion and for acting as liason, Sator.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Akubra has already retailed a very accurately detailed Indiana Jones hat.

How about a Hollywood series starting with a match for the Bogart hat in the Big Sleep. Then perhaps the Elliot Ness hat from the unouchables. Many of the Loungers have studied these hats in great detail.

I would like to see a correctly reproduced whippet. Though the felt wouldn't be the quality of the 40's, the design of the hat is a very flattering one to many men.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
The Whippet may not be a bad idea Matt. As I was reading through this thread, what came to mind, was something unique and yet universal. First off how about an open crown, so that everyone can put their own style into the hat. As for brim width I might suggest 2 5/8th or 2 3/4 as a minimum as there are plenty smaller brims available. Crown height once again 5" as a minimum. As for the ribbon, why not a 1" to 1 1/2" contrasting ribbon. A bound edge might be nice as well incorporating a style option from the Whippet. Keep in mind if we were to get a special run, then it needs to be something not readily available on the bay or other outlets. Now as to color, I for one have plenty of brown, black and grey. I would suggest a blue hue, Douglas has posted a open crown blue Stetson some time back, what a hat and they are very hard to come by. A lounge pin would top this off nicely. Just my thoughts - Bud

Stoney , I like this idea as well "C) Wind trolly. Maybe we use the FL logo on the wind trolly button. Hmmmm"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My proposals for 4 colors:

Taupe: a click or so darker than Army pink drab. The shade Esquire popularized as "grabrown" around 1950.

Moss Green: a gray-green, somewhat lighter than the taupe.

Charcoal Grey: almost, but not quite, black, with a black band to bring out the contrast.

Grey-Blue: could be either the taupe or moss green intensity.

Save for charcoal, I like the idea of a self-color band, because they're rare today.

Any FL logo button or pin should be easily removable if desired. I like the idea of a pinback button in cloisonné, about 1/2" wide, that could be a discreet identifier when worn in a lapel.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I would like . . .

I am in agreement with most everything said so far . . .

I would like to see the hat come with an open crown, so it can be bashed to meet the likes of the purchaser . . .

ANd I would like to suggest the color "Sage Green" . . . a bit lighter than moss, with more blue-grey than brown to it. The color is very, very verstile, and you see darn few good hats in that color today . . .

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Something like this?

DSCN4711.jpg

Yeah!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Sator said:
So where is this civil war, bloodbath and descent into total chaos which was predicted lol?

Well, we've still got to decide on a color. Plenty of time for hashing it out. ;)

Here's what I'd like to see:

-- a Whippet-esque style, but not exactly like a Whippet (or anything else).
-- a 2 1/2" brim (certainly not less, and probably not more).
-- in a deep, rich, dark (but not navy) blue, because it's a versatile color yet difficult to find.

RedPop4

One Too Many
That hat sounds excellent.

I'm broke. So, I reluctantly post my opinion.
The first run, in the Whippet style seems to me to be just the ticket as it's garnering wide appeal already. Again, if money were no object, I'd order a couple, but money is an object. :( IT happens.

I also think the three designs that keep appearing are great, HOWEVER, I DO believe there should be one more, and it should be a "country design" a typical akubra design with a forward pinch to it, but not a "cowboy" hat. I like the idea of a Stratoliner design, as well. Or, something along the line of what Adam Savage wears on MythBusters. As I say, though, I'd save this one until last.

That's about the only $.02 I have to give.

griffer

Practically Family
this may sound overly simplistic, but why not take the proportions from and attempt to reproduce the hat in the FL logo?

Everytime I look at the logo, i am impressed with how it distills and captures everything I admire and aspire to in my fedoras.

That, and i like the great hollywood hats. Akubra might be more keen on that concept since it would market outside our little group...but then that undercuts the exclusivity.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
griffer said:
This may sound overly simplistic, but why not take the proportions from and attempt to reproduce the hat in the FL logo?

That would be a nice touch. Say, do you think the hat in the logo looks a bit like a Whippet? I do.

If money were no object, it would be cool to have a small metal Fedora Lounge pin made and attached to the hat's bow. Make it easily removable, though.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Something like this?

DSCN4711.jpg

Yeah!

This is too very nice . . . xactly the hat I must have.
Send your address, and I will hire a cat-burgler:)

Menawhile, I have to admit, I mocern variation of the Whippet seems to garner the most support, and I could get behind it; though i am still partial to an update of the classic Stratoliner . . .

Yes, we all have one, but they are getting harder, and harder to come by (At least at a price I can afford), and don't we all wish we had one more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy