Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few questions about pants

BobbyKennedy

New in Town
I recently picked up two sport coats, a late 1940s/early 50s tan sport coat, and a 1950s linen palm beach sport coat (possibly a orphaned jacket). What color pants would look good with them? In the case of the latter, it will mostly be used as a summer casual item with white and blue chinos/ seersucker pants and a button up. Would I be able to wear that, but throw in a tie, in a more formal setting? Below are the jackets so you can see the colors.

Wool:

F4eJRLH.jpg

g0ITgWI.jpg

Palm Beach (just got it today, taking to the cleaner tomorrow, so excuse the wrinkles) :

WezF0ME.jpg

PY2RFYC.jpg

Secondly, I'm in the market for seersucker pants, and came across these, one of the few pairs in my price range, can anyone speak to the quality of the company, or the pants?

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't bought from the page before but sounds like a good deal. I would want to know if they are high(ish) waisted.

Blue or brown pants with both but a darker hue. Pairing sportcoats always needs some contrast. If the pants would be too light the outfit would look washed out.

Not sure what is formal nowadays. I imagine it works for a summer wedding (unless you are the groom) or a cocktail party. Only few of this events still require formal wear for the guests.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, but that's just how it is. If it is an black or white tie event it will say so on the invitation. Then there is the ascot with their morning dress requirements but aside from that? Wearing a tie and a suit or at least a sportcoat is "formal" for most people.

Edward

Bartender
In my experience, nowadays on most occasions where a lounge suit is appropriate a sportcoat and trousers will do just as well. The jacket picture above, I'd wear with dark browns (think bitter chocolate) or olive green. Also navy blue. Tapue, maybe, or a grey with a hint of borwn. Don't try to match the jacket for colour, or it will look mismatched - as has already been said above, contrast is the key. Linen trousers on any of those hues would be a nice match - both in praticality and I like the look of amatching fabric with a contrasting colour. I'd try it with seersucker, certainly.

BobbyKennedy

New in Town
Exactly. I already know I'm gonna be overdressed for most "formal" events I go to. If something requires dressing up a bit more than usual I show up in a suit and everyone else is wearing what I normally wear.

BobbyKennedy

New in Town
Thanks for the advice! I know that with sport coats you need contrast, problem is I'm used to dark jackets, and these jackets are two somewhat unconventional colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael