Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fine remark by two young Americans in London this Remembrance Day...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was at the annual Remembrance Service at Whitehall (London) on Sunday.

Things like this, well...the Brits just seem to have it nailed and no-one seems to do it so well. Marching Guards' bands, dressed in their grey greatcoats and black bearskins (hats). Mounted HouseHold Cavalry, such as the Blues & Royals (with polished, plumed helmets and breast plates..etc).

The wonderful music of Elgar (Nimrod) being played at the Cenotaph as wreaths are layed by the Royal Family, Heads of the Services, Prime Minister and dignatries...etc. Just cannot beat it on a crisp November morning, as Big Ben chimes 11 O'Clock and the hush desends for two minutes to remember our fallen.

Then there is the march past by many veterans, many still able to keep in step, proudly wearing their regimental berets, chests adorned with medals from various wars and campaigns, it's a sight to behold.

Across the green beside Westminster Abbey, there is a remembrance plot with crosses for people who have fallen over the years, the crosses are put there by friends, colleagues, family to recognise that person, and they are arranged into the service and regt. in which they served. Very touching.

It was here that two American girls passed by me, following the Remembrance service and I heard one say to the other as they looked at the crosses and mulled over the service...."It's really great that they do this sort of thing every year..."

It warmed my heart to hear this. And also to know that in every city, town and village in Britain, something similar (though different scales) there would be a service at a war memorial, to remember our dead, or those who have suffered in the line of duty.

moustache

Practically Family
I remember this day every year most vividly as it is my birthday as well as Veterans Day.My grandfather served in the Pacific and had some grand memories.

Our Vets should always be remembered.

If we do not remember our past,we are doomed to repeats it's failures(or something like that!)

JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn