Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A funny thing happened on the way to the hat shop

I am Akubra Man

New in Town
Namely, it wasn't there.

I'd been poking around the citysearch website a bit, looking for some vintage stores in my hometown, St. Louis. Lo and behold, I discover the Vintage Haberdashery, a store dedicated to the vintage hat. It was downtown, off Grand, not a short drive, but not a long one either, so I scoot on down to check out the goods.

And what do I discover? The store is gone! Make no mistake, the building and address were there, but the merchant wasn't. All there was was a tasteful little note stating the new store would open on morganford in august.

I'm torn between two emotions now: 1) Relief that the store is still open, because the citysearch reviews were highly positive, and I'd like to get some vintage hats, and 2) Unmitigated frustration that the store is still open, because if had just closed down, I could let it go, but now I have to wait 5 whole months before I can even check what they've got!!!! :rage: Arrrrgh!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
hey there,

keep me posted on this, because I am an hour and a half down south from you. I could get up there once in awhile.

I would appreciate an update.

the Levine Hat co. is someplace downtown, too.

Best Regards,

Mark the shoeshine boy

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
awwww, that sucks akubra! and you were probably all excited thinking you were gonna find an awesome place! Well, luckily I guess you didn't have to drive that far.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll cross my fingers...

I'll cross my fingers for you that the note you read on the door stating they'd be open in the new store in August means August 2006 and not August 2005 or before. I drive by a store downtown, prime location, nicely remodeled with merchandise in the shop that's never opened and has had the same "Opening in May!" sign on the windows for about three years now. It's not a clothing store - wood flooring and doors, items we've had on the wish list for a couple of years now and it's just a few doors down from a favorite restaurant. Even the ones running that have said they've never seen or heard anyone in the shop - just that the stuff appeared inside along with the banner one weekend in mid-February several years ago.

The Sam Spade knows there's a story there . . .

I am Akubra Man

New in Town
shoeshineboy said:
hey there,

keep me posted on this, because I am an hour and a half down south from you. I could get up there once in awhile.

I would appreciate an update.

the Levine Hat co. is someplace downtown, too.

Best Regards,

Mark the shoeshine boy

Will do, and yea, I like Levine Co., too, they got some wild stuff

I am Akubra Man

New in Town
Mike in Seattle said:
I'll cross my fingers for you that the note you read on the door stating they'd be open in the new store in August means August 2006 and not August 2005 or before. I drive by a store downtown, prime location, nicely remodeled with merchandise in the shop that's never opened and has had the same "Opening in May!" sign on the windows for about three years now. It's not a clothing store - wood flooring and doors, items we've had on the wish list for a couple of years now and it's just a few doors down from a favorite restaurant. Even the ones running that have said they've never seen or heard anyone in the shop - just that the stuff appeared inside along with the banner one weekend in mid-February several years ago.

You're making me nervous, dude :)

Location cursed, perform excorcism.

Mike in Seattle said:
Under-capitalisation or somebody died. Strange that the owner hasn't cleared it for another renter. Anbody notice that there are certain locations that simply won't support a business? No matter what you put there with in a couple of years they've taken a nose dive. Some locations are cursed. Voodoo! Who do? We do. You Do? Voodoo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou