Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good shave.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
I'm here to tell you, the old school ways are the best.....like you guys didn't know that :rolleyes:
Safety razor (or cut-throat), brush and quality soaps / creams will give you the best shaves of your life and your face will thank you for it.
I used to be the shave in the shower every other day variety but now it's 6 times a week and my skin has never looked or felt better.
Good sites mentioned already but here's another:
www.theshaveden.com

Tell em "rick" sent ya :D

Edward

Bartender
David Conwill said:
Mine's a GEM Micromatic:

1934_gemrazors.jpg

Interesting to see that. My dad still has a bunch of razors that belonged to family. My Great (possibly great great, can't remember offhand) grandfather's cut-throat is there. I've always loved the idea of shaving with one of those (was fascinated watching Jeremy Irons do it in the end of the affair), but i know it isn't realistic for me - I'd take my own face off. lol Also in the same box, Dad has one of these (don't know which brand, don't remember, but same generic design as your GEM), plus another very interesting creature: Essentially a SE razor, but with the blade installed parallel with the shaft, like the lovechild of a SE safety razor and a cutthroat. Really intriguing beast. I'd love that have them in a box frame in my bathroom - a 'history of shaving' sort of thing, with all my old cartridge razor handles. I'm hoping to consign those to histroy very soon and make the switch to a DE Safety razor - at least for my chin (not so sure about the head yet!).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Dad has one of these (don't know which brand, don't remember, but same generic design as your GEM)

Possibly an Everready. My understanding is that the GEM was made in the UK under that name. I'd be fascinated to see a picture of the safety/cutthroat lovechild.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
David Conwill said:
Possibly an Everready. My understanding is that the GEM was made in the UK under that name. I'd be fascinated to see a picture of the safety/cutthroat lovechild.

-Dave

I must remember to get one. Unfortunately I won't have access to them again for a few months (they're at the folk's house in the Old Country), but when I do I plan to photo them. It's certainly an unusual thing - I've never seen another before. I woludn't like to try to shave with it, but it does strike me that it might make a nice craft knife. lol

freebird

Practically Family
David Conwill said:

-Dave

Give me a couple of days and I'll post a pic or two, I've got a few of the GEM's. Also another cross between the straight and the safety was the Valet autostrop and the Roll's Razors as well. The Valet's look like a safety razor, but have a lever in the back that lets teh blade and top swing free,then you just thread your strop through it and viola! Will post a photo of one of those as well.
Tony

freebird

Practically Family
didn't take me near as long as I thought it would.

gemmicromaticbrassfulllenght.jpg

this is the GEM Micromatic in Brass, figure it wa Gold at one time,.

gemmicromaticbrass.jpg

Inside the razor's head

gemmicromaticbrasswithblade.jpg

With the blade

gemrazors.jpg

Three GEM razors: (L-R) GEM Micromatic in Gold (worn off) Micromatic in Chrome and GEM Jr to open the head of the Micromatic you twist the knob on the bottom of the handle (like some of the Gillettes) the Jr model opens manually.

valetwithstrop.jpg

Valet Autostrop with strop

valetgears.jpg

If you look really close you can see the gears on the side that allows the blade to pivot during stropping. note: the blade is in the upright position, and has the name "VALET" cut out.

Edward

Bartender
From memory, those are a lot like the one Dad has. At first I thought it was an odd DE that had a wide flap instead of the butterfly opening, but then I figured it out. I'm not sure it has a comb, but otherise, same basic look to it. I'll definitely get photos when I'm next visiting.

freebird

Practically Family
I haven't tried shaaving with these, I did try one single edge razor once and cut myself to pieces. This coming from someone who shaves with a straight rofl.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
freebird said:
I haven't tried shaaving with these, I did try one single edge razor once and cut myself to pieces. This coming from someone who shaves with a straight rofl.

Your chrome Micromatic looks almost identical to mine. I'm not sure if the Micromatic is unique in the angle at which it must be held, or whether that's true of all safety razors, but if you look at the advertisement I posted before, it's got to be held almost perpendicular to the face. That's a big change if you're used to cartridge razors. I've still got a scar on the back of my hand from my first "test run" of mine. Thank God I tried it there first and not on my face. I've found that making two or three very light passes is the most effective technique. Pressure is the enemy with a SE.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Thought you fellows might enjoy this ad. It's from '47 and I think kind of represents the pinnacle of safety razor tech before the advent of the cartridge razor in the 1960s.

gillette.jpg

Before I got my GEM, I had always intended to print this off and frame it as bathroom art. Now, however, I'd like to find a Micromatic ad.

-Dave

freebird

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
Your chrome Micromatic looks almost identical to mine. I'm not sure if the Micromatic is unique in the angle at which it must be held, or whether that's true of all safety razors, but if you look at the advertisement I posted before, it's got to be held almost perpendicular to the face. That's a big change if you're used to cartridge razors. I've still got a scar on the back of my hand from my first "test run" of mine. Thank God I tried it there first and not on my face. I've found that making two or three very light passes is the most effective technique. Pressure is the enemy with a SE.

-Dave
you're absolutely correct about the multiple passes, a straight is the same way. I make 3 passes, with the grain of the beard, against the grain and across the grain. I re-lather after the first two passes. The double edge safety razors are held more like the cartridge type and imho they give a better shave too.

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
I am glad to see a thread like this on FL. I decided to make the shift from my Mach 3 to a safety razor. It's been a learning experience to say the least!

pgoat

One Too Many
I went back to my old safety for a few weeks a couple of years ago - I started with that in the late 70s, went to an Atra in the mid 80s, a sensor in the 90s and now use a Mach 3 (which Gillette sent me free in the mail - so I can buy their super pricey refills!).

Let's just say it was bloody experience. I love a close shave but the mach 3 works just fine with a pre-shave oil and a good brush and cream

Edward

Bartender
Eep, don't scare me.....! :eek:

I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to shave my entire head with a DE.... we'll see. I looked into the Headblade again (the idea being to use it for the skull, and the DE for all else), but I'm not sure of availability of the cartridges this side of the Atlantic.

dnjan

One Too Many
I've only shaved a little over 10,000 times with a straight razor. So I have opinions, but not an ultimate answer.

My opinions:
Williams soap is fine. I have a heavy, diner-style mug that the Williams soap fits in nicely. I fill it with hot water when I start filing the sink, and then I refill it when I am done stropping my razor. I use a brush that I bought from the local drugstore (under $5)
I use a strop made from a belt blank and jewelers rouge from Tandy Leather. Spread some 3-in-one oil on the back side of the belt blank, and then rub in the jeweler's rouge. Strop every time before shaving.
I am partial to razors from Solingen, Germany. Specifially german stainless. Prices on OFAS are generally reasonable, considering that a good razor will last multiple lifetimes. If you are not able to sharpen yourself, having it sharpened every three 3 to 6 months will probably be enough.

A good razor will last a long time. I probably have at least 8,000 shaves on my current razor. My original razor is fine, but I cracked the handle due to some mis-use. When I replace the handle, I will probably give the razor to my son.

If you want to sharpen your razor yourself, you will need some good stones. Either a hard Arkansas or (preferably) a black Arkansas stone for final sharpening. Preceded by a quality India stone. If you are into waterstones rather than oilstones, start with a 1000 stone followed by a 4000 (or 8000) stone. Either way, finish with the jewelers rouge strop.

pgoat

One Too Many
Edward said:
Eep, don't scare me.....! :eek:

I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to shave my entire head with a DE.... we'll see. I looked into the Headblade again (the idea being to use it for the skull, and the DE for all else), but I'm not sure of availability of the cartridges this side of the Atlantic.

Ironically the reason I tried the 'safety' razor again after so many years was its recommendation by a fellow library student - I was working PT trying to get my degree, and was happy to save money (a couple of bucks for a package of blades, as opposed to $20 for a few Mach 3 cartridges)

He said he used that to shave his head a couple of times per week....and got several shaves out of each blade. He had never showed up to class with a bloody dome, so I figured I'd try it.

I am steadily approaching the day I'll need to chrome dome (due to lack of hair) and was intrigued by the Headblade too. right now I just buzz it with a clipper.

I used to have a straight razor years ago, but never got the nerve to try shaving with it. It needed a good honing, but it was more my nervousness about ripping open a jugular. Kudos to you guys who pull this off. Maybe I'll try it again someday. I hate spending so much on the cartridges.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
dnjan said:
I've only shaved a little over 10,000 times with a straight razor. So I have opinions, but not an ultimate answer.

My opinions: ...
If you want to sharpen your razor yourself, you will need some good stones. Either a hard Arkansas or (preferably) a black Arkansas stone for final sharpening. Preceded by a quality India stone. If you are into waterstones rather than oilstones, start with a 1000 stone followed by a 4000 (or 8000) stone. Either way, finish with the jewelers rouge strop.

A 4-sided pasted paddle strop from The Well Shaved Gentleman http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/product.sc?categoryId=27&productId=124 is what I use instead of hones/stones. Mine is pasted with 3.0, 1.0 and 0.5 micron diamond Amplex, and 0.5 micron Chromium Oxide.

Edward

Bartender
pgoat said:
Ironically the reason I tried the 'safety' razor again after so many years was its recommendation by a fellow library student - I was working PT trying to get my degree, and was happy to save money (a couple of bucks for a package of blades, as opposed to 420 for a few Mach 3 cartridges)

Tell me about it..... I switched from a Mach 3 to a Fusion, which is certainly a closer shave. But the price of the cartridges..... mamma mia, if I manage to use the DE well enough, I could save the price of the razor in about six months!

He said he used that to shave his head a couple of times per week....and got several shaves out of each blade. He had never showed up to class with a bloody dome, so I figured I'd try it.

I am steadily approaching the day I'll need to chrome dome (due to lack of hair) and was intrigued by the Headblade too. right now I just buzz it with a clipper.

Yeah, i first went to a buzz cut about ten years ago. Originally it was a punk thing (after some years of fairly long hair), though by early 04 I was buzzing it back to a 2 all over to hide the bald. I went for the full shave just under two years ago when it finally became obvious that the number-1-twice-weekly I was sporting at the time wasn't hising the thinning any more. I've used both a Mach 3 and the Fusion on my head. Funnily enough, I cut my chin more often than I do my head.... I'm not sure whether that's because I'm going by feel alone round the skull, somehow makes me more aware of pressure? The Fusion, though expensive, does work very well for the head. I shave my head in the morning, every other day normally. First time it took me half an hour, now I can do it in five minutes. Hopefully I'll find that same with the DE, but I think I'll stick with doing just the chin on that til I'm really sure I've managed it and see where I go from there.

One thing I would say with the 'chrome dome' approach.... if you're anything like me, when you finally do do it for the first time, it's a liberating experience. After about four years of worrying about thinning hair, since gonig over to the full shave, I've never thought twice about it. Feels great (and you'd be surprised how much attention it gets from the ladies!). Actually, if I let it grow for three days without a shave now I start to feel a bit 'unclean'.... [huh] My only regret is that I didn't start doing it a few years earlier!

I used to have a straight razor years ago, but never got the nerve to try shaving with it. It needed a good honing, but it was more my nervousness about ripping open a jugular. Kudos to you guys who pull this off. Maybe I'll try it again someday. I hate spending so much on the cartridges.

I'm the same. The DE I'm a little afraid of, but I believe it is mangeable.... the straight razor, cool as it would be, scares the hell outta me. Next time I have a big occasion, though, I think I might treat myself to a barber's straight razor shave - 'all off bar the eyebrows!' :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21