Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Halloween Tale for you guys

Elaina

One Too Many
I have a friend that does Paranormal investigations. Just happens that he's spent the last couple nights in some farmhouse checking out claims. So he gets home, rings me up and says "Hey Elle, I need you to do me some favors." I reply "Dude, it's 3 A.M. What can you possibly need that can't wait until tomorrow?"

So he says he has a ton of files he'd like my opinion on (why? Long story. Short version: I'm good at being a skeptic. I'm also good at being me, and I apparently give good answers [huh]). So I give in and tell him, fine. Send them, I'll look.

Spent the last hour watching videos, listening (and cleaning up) some EVPs, general upkeep. I don't like EVPs I have to clean, same with video, same with the data they collect. It's there or it's not, as far as I'm concerned. So most of the last hour, I cleaned them up, and got some passable junk they can claim. Not impressed, called and told him so. "These suck, you know" says I. I can't repeat his comment.

Then while on the phone (because I have my laptop and desktop working) I flip through the vids, and catch a clear image of a little boy. He swears he's not there IRL. So I find a corresponding wav file and hear "that's my ball!" crystal clear. So, I hang up on him, and I'm working on the data during this time. It's inconclusive, because it's 4 a.m. and that is not something I want to hear out of my computer.

Don't mess with stuff in the middle of the night. He shoulda waited until morning.

Happy Halloween.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I love the supernatural.....:D

I wonder if he had picked up "his ball" and that's why he said that.

Neat story.

Yes, I have to agree, seeing things like that at 4am isn't the best thing. :p

Story

I'll Lock Up
from another forum, a tale I found fascinating:

Back in the winter of 2001 my youngest son and I were on our way from Boise,Idaho to Medford,Oregon.We had taken a car trailer to his old place in Boise in order to haul his non-running Jeep to his new place in Medford.We hit an area of heavy snow in the southern Cascades around 2:00 a.m.It took 45 minutes or so to get down the mountain.We had,of course been drinking coffee to stay alert.

About 25 miles west of the pass it became obvious that the last few quarts of coffee had to be drained.We stopped at a wide spot in the road near a summer tourist haunt,deserted in winter.There is a gas station and ice cream joint on the west side of the road,closed this time of year,and no town or settlement within 30 miles.This is tall timber country,and unsettled.Across the road is a small parking area for the ice cream joint.It is paved and about 200 ft.wide and 80 ft.deep.I pulled in and as I stepped out with .45 on hip,it occurred to me in a flash that grabbing the 590 Mossy would be good.

As we walked to the far end of the area to be well off the road,the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end.The area directly
to our front was open with a depth of 50 yards and a width of 100 yards.The night was clear and cold,8-10 inches of snow on the ground,and with a moon almost full,so we could see quite well.While standing and taking a leak,with son about 15 ft.to my right I saw,as if springing from the earth in front of us across the open area 10 or 12 creatures moving RAPIDLY back and forth in sort of a Thatch weave pattern.These things,not human men,were close to 7 ft.tall,thin,bipedal with long arms,medium length gray fur, and damned fast on their feet.I brought the shotgun up and slid the safety off,as son was drawing his .45.

I don't know if I can adequately explain the overwhelming feeling of menace,but here goes.I had been operating on pure instinct since I had stepped from the pickup,the rotten feeling hit me a split second before the things arrived,the feeling?,instinct?, was that we were prey,and subject to a very bad death,and to be slaughtered and eaten,not a logical process,gut feeling and massively overwhelming.

As they were moving about in front of us,more appeared and mixed among them,all the while running about fast in front of us.Son and I were backing toward the truck,I WOULD NOT present my back to them,and some of them peeled off right and left in an encirclement movement.They were rolling in fast from the sides now,I could smell and feel their presence.We got to the truck loaded on adrenaline and ready to kill,as we both knew we were in grave danger.We piled into the truck,locked doors.I had keys out and ready,as my butt neared the seat, I had the engine lit and trans.in gear and gas pedal mashed in one motion.Adrenaline is great stuff!

As we fled,yes fled,something VERY close by let out a ululating scream of rage,and pain.I believe one or more of the group had gotten really close to us in their pursuit and I ran over the foot of one of them,yeah they were that close.We rolled onto the highway and I told son to watch the bed of the pickup as well as the trailer,he already was indexed to the rear with the shotgun.We hauled ass for at least 20 miles before the feeling of grave danger started to abate. The feeling that nailed both of us,as we discussed soon afterward,was one of being prey,and soon to be slaughtered and eaten.I am not easily led,and neither believe or disbelieve all the bigfoot,ghost and werewolf stuff,in fact I am skeptical. Son was speaking with a coworker about 6 months later who had grown up in Prospect,Oregon,about 30 moles south of Union Creek where the incident took place.He asked Jake if he had ever heard of any strange goings-on in the area.Jake went ashy white and pretty much retold the above tale.He says to avoid the place at night.

A family friend,a 25 yr.retired cop not given to flights of fancy and an excellent observer, had a tale very similar from a year before.I told my wife of this event of course,she looked at me at the beginning as though I had developed a 3rd eyeball in the center of my forehead.That was from shock,she did believe me,but did not wish to hear any details.She said the tale gave her chills.Me too,as I write this,hair on back of neck and forearms is sticking up.

I have NOT gone back to explore,and would not without a large group of shotgun and flamethrower equipped men with me.

Son and I are both sane,sober persons,and not taken to hysteria.We were wide,VERY wide awake as things transpired.We saw and smelled what was there.As a sidebar neither of us heard footfalls from the creatures.They were silent until i hurt one as we were getting the Hell out of there.

To my knowledge,and I have researched,there is nothing that matches these creatures,unless one considers old legends and folk tales of were creatures. To conclude,I have to fall back on Elmer Keiths famous line,"Hell,I was there"

Elaina

One Too Many
I used to work as a paranormal investigator (token cynicical psychic "this place isn't haunted. I'm going home.") and I quit doing field work, just chek out the information. I've seen some strange things either I can't explain, or I can and won't. There's a million weird tales running around.

One of the best ones I've personally been involved in was with an elderly widow, who's husband had been dead 12 years and was childless called me (back when I was a working psychic/tarot card reader) and said she needed me to come to her house and help her. She wouldn't tell me why, and I went because I was curious. I get to her house and listen to her talk, and all these things she said (typical bump in the night stuff: lights on and off, doors opening and closing, covers being taken off her, baby screaming) had escalated to the point she was terrified. I called my friend and told him, and he eventually did a stay in. From the point she called me to the point we went to her house (a litte over 2 weeks) it had escalated to violence on the woman.

Anyway, making a long story short, I wound up getting attacked (as the only female in there at that time) and all the information we gathered we presented to the woman and was told the picture we captured of it was a woman whom her husband had had an affair with for 32 years of their 52 year marriage. The other woman had had an abortion, and the blamed the wife for it, and tried to kill her several times in life, etc. Seems that she didn't get it while the other woman was alive and chose to continue after death.

(I'm not saying I believe/disbelieve in this story. I was there, I call this inconclusive. I still have a scar on my arm from it, but I'm not sure I believe the explaination we were given by the woman. Some of it didn't ring true.)

The problem didn't cease, and she wound up moving, and the new residents complained of similar problems. Nothing violent, however. Apon the woman's death, the house has ceased to have any major activity, although lights still come on and off in the house.

I got a ton of stories. Some of which I can say were bogus, some of which I can say were typical of it, some of which I walked away from creeped out.

Grace

Vendor
Oh, Story, that tale just gave me goosebumps all over!!
I live in Idaho (about 3 hours from Boise) and I've heard stories about tall, gangly quick moving creatures. Not sure if they're the same as in your story. It always makes me uneasy to travel on deserted roads at night. Especially alone.

This past summer, my husband and I witnessed real live flying saucers over our house. We sat on the back deck for close to 3 hours, and we saw a total of 6 UFOs (3 were the standard, glowing discs/saucers, and the othe three were small groups of dark, black objects. They all came from the same direction, and all headed the same direction. My husband is forever the skeptic, and even he was freaked out. If that's not unsettling, I don't konw what is!

Keep the stories coming! I love stuff like this!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Grace said:
Oh, Story, that tale just gave me goosebumps all over!!
Keep the stories coming! I love stuff like this!

[Grouch Marx voice, w/ cigar waggle] Why, I'm always honored to be able to give a woman goosebumps! [/Grouch Marx voice, w/ cigar waggle]

Teddy Roosevelt wrote about Wendigos in 1893, obviously a retelling of tales told to him during his time on our frontier.
http://gaslight.mtroyal.ab.ca/wendigo.htm

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have a few strange story's but I will only tell one at a time so that it will not take to long.

I used to be a sales Rep. for Aveda products (hair care, bath and body ect.) I would go on sales calls to salons and I would supply them with thier products. One of the salons I called on was Salon Nyla in down town Portland Oregon. This was in 1998 and Nyla the owner was getting ready to move locations a few blocks away and expand into a big beautiful day spa-which she renamed Salon Nyla the Day Spa. The new location was in the lobby of the Embassy Suites Hotel on SW 4th and Pine, this historic building was originally built back at the turn of the century and it originally was a Hotel back then. The original hotel was around for many years, then it went out of business and was vacant for a while. When it was vacant I guess druggies came in and took over for a while until the 80's and then it became state offices. Then they went out and it was vacant again. Sorry this is taking so long but I thought I would give you a little background on this building first, so keep reading because it gets creepy.

Nyla showed me the location even before they started working on it (it was pretty run down looking) and she took me on a tour and showed me where everything was going be in the salon. When we got to the place where she told my she was going the have the dispensary (the place in the salon where where you mix up the chemicals, wash the towels, break room ect...) My hair stood up on the back of my neck, this room used to be a little day care - nursery for the state employees-we could still see the pastel colored wall paper with little animals peeling off of the walls. I had a very stange feeling that something had happend to one of the children there, either a child had died or had been mollested (it was just a feeling that I had nothing conclusive).I did not tell anybody about this feeling I had though. Soon after Nyla moved in and I continued to do sales for Aveda until 1999.

In 1999 Nyla hired me to work in her salon as her head esthetician (I did facials, body treatments, manicures and pedicures). After I started working there is when I really started to notice the wierd things happen. One day I was working the morning shift with the receptionist Sean and one of the hairstylist Tawny, we had the salon all set up and ready to go and we were a sitting in the salon in the styling chairs waiting for our customers. All of a sudden we heard a loud crashing noise on the center of the floor in front of us but there was nothing or no one even there! It sounded like some one had taken a very large tray of food, dishes and glass ware and slammed it on the salon floor.

A few days later Tawny and I were eating lunch in the dispensary and somebody had loaded the dryer up with wet towels, all of a sudden the dryer door popped opened and one towel came out, it looked like a whip and it made a snapping noise then it snapped back into the dryer and the dryer door slammed shut!

The following week I was doing a pedicure and we would do spa pedicures where we would dip the foot in paraphin wax and it is therrapuetic and feels good and all. I pulled the wax off and rolled it up in to a ball in a plastic bag and threw the paraphin and the plastic bag away in a little metal trash can. I had my back to the trash can but my customer said that was wierd, I turned around and looked and the the lid was off the can (I could hear the sound of the metal lid on the floor) rolling around in a half circle beside the can. The plastic bag with the paraphin laying beside the can and lid. My customer said she saw the lid pop up and the plastic/paraphin ball bounced out. Somebody said maybe I did not get the lid on tight enough but over the course of the next few days I made sure to get the lid on very tight and it happed 3 more times after that and I saw the lid pop off and the plastic/paraphin ball bounce out with my very own eyes each time after that.

Back in the spa the rooms we did facials and massages were always unusually cold (and it did not seem to matter what time of year it was) which was kind of strange, but everywhere else the tempurature was really comfortable. One of the massage therapist said she always got a strange vibe in the second room. Back in the spa we also had a wet room for hydrotherapy treatments the whole room was done in tile and this room was always warm even though it was in the same part of the building as the other spa rooms.

Another time I was walking from the styling area towards the dispensary by the shampoo bowls and I heard somebody calling my name, so I asked everybody who was calling me and what did they need, and nobody said that they had called my name! Come to find out other people had been in that exact same spot at different times and had heard thier name being called also. One of the stylists (Teri) we had working there, her room mate (Jan) would come after closing hours and clean the salon for us and one time she was cleaning and she was in the exact same spot as described above and heard someone calling for Teri, she looked in the whole entire place and did not see anybody there. It got to where nobody really wanted to be in the place alone and who could blame them!

Teri knew a lady that was what a medium and she had her come to the salon and spa, and this is what the lady had said: she sensed a spirit of a child, a very mischevious girl by the name of Cynthia, she did not detect any other spirits and did not beleive this one to be bad in any way.

Brooksie

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Oooh these give me the heebie-jeebies!

I have always believed in the paranormal, and my family has a bit of an interesting history with paranormal experiences. The only experience I have ever personally had that I cannot absolutely discount for sake of being half-asleep, too young, eyes playing tricks, etc., was just about 10 years ago now. I was working at a local newspaper in the composition department. The newspaper building was rumored to be haunted as it had previously been a grocery store. The camera room had been an employee locker area, and one of the employees had died there, I believe it was an older man of a heart attack. I frequently worked late in the building, alone, and occasionally I would hear strange noises, but I attributed it to just an old building. Anyway, in the present newspaper setting, the composition room was just next to the camera room. Composition was a huge open room with long tables around the perimeter, and a small grouping of about 4 computers at the far end. One day in the middle of the afternoon I was laying out a page up against one of the tables, and I very distinctly felt a HAND run up the entire length of my back, from tailbone to the nape of my neck. It wasn't one of those questionable "shirt shifting" feelings, it was most definitely a hand. I thought, "What the heck? Why is someone fondling me?" and turned around to ask my coworkers - but they were all seated at their computers on the other end of the room, working. There was absolutely no way one of them could have done it and gotten back to their seat. The doors to the room were closed, the room was empty except for my coworkers at the computers, and the room also had a very noisy tile floor and was quite large as I said, so there was no possible way anyone could have done it and run.

I never said anything to my coworkers, and I never had another "experience" in the remaining time that I worked there - but I *never* worked late again after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ