Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A jacket gift for my daughter

fishmeok

Vendor
It's my daughter's 15th B-day yesterday, so as a combo birthday/Christmas gift I am making her a jacket. We picked one that she liked from a thrift store, then I copied it and added a few details of my own (like the dark goatskin hide,a liner, M-422A waistknits, my collar, etc.) It's not totally done, I'm waiting for the cuffs, but I think it turned out pretty well.
Cheers
Mark

Temppics013.jpg

Temppics017.jpg

Temppics023.jpg

Temppics031.jpg

Temppics018.jpg

Temppics019.jpg

Temppics020.jpg

Temppics025.jpg

Temppics026.jpg

Temppics027.jpg

1911 Man

A-List Customer
The jacket looks great, but you better be careful, she's going to turn a few boys' heads wearing that. Keep the shotgun nearby.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
WOW!

Fishmeok,

That is a swell looking jacket. I want one. Your headed on the right path.
now I'm going to have to start cutting some Hide HA! HA!.

That is a wonderful jacket and the best part about it is that you made it with your own hands. I'm sure she will love it. Money can't buy a gift like that if you own father made it for you. Best to you and keep the threads comming. we all enjoy them.

fishmeok

Vendor
Thanks all- The cut is not too different from a very very small A-2 (16" shoulders) but it tapers more in the bust. My daughter is on the tall and slim side so I didn't have to make any adjustments.

Anybody out there with some actual sewing skills who can help explain how to fit a womens jacket? I'm considereing buying a commercial pattern just to try it out.

James- keep working! If you have any questions ask me or Chapman (he's a great guy to talk to). You are very close now, you've already done most of the hard bits during your jacket restorations...

Cheers
Mark

James Miller

One of the Regulars
I'm working at it.

fishmeok said:
BTW James- I think we talked about this before, but what machine are you using?

Cheers
Mark

Fishmeok,

The sewing machine I have is a Phaff with a walking foot. It was hard going throught a lot of leather like were the two piece shoulders and sleeve with the epaulets connect together.

I looking at another sewing machine. They want $600.00 for it which is not to bad but with Christmas comming I am spending less on my wants. I forgot the name but I'll go back and look at it and let you know the brand name. maybe you could let me know if it's a good one to buy.

fishmeok

Vendor
To really make jackets you will have to buy a true industrial- look for somethinglike a Singer 211G or a Consew 206, but make sure it has a compound feed (needle, presser foot, and feed dogs all feed the material). Trying to do it with a home machine (even a nice Pfaff) is just impossible. You should be able to find a complete set up with the machine, motor, and table for $600 or less used. It's a big investment, but it's worth it...:)
Cheers'
Mark

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Your right.

Fishmeok,

The machine I'm looking at the lady owns a shop she is the one that helped me to get started. It's a pretty nice one I tested it and it's on a big table ( big steel and wood). I'll ask about the items you talked about to see if this one meets those you mentioned.

Thank for the tip.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
fishmeok said:
Anybody out there with some actual sewing skills who can help explain how to fit a womens jacket? I'm considereing buying a commercial pattern just to try it out.

I asked about the lady-fit because I have a couple of Lady's sporting jackets.
One of them is like a Tanker jacket but particularly feminine in construction-
it has what I would call a bust-dart, a dart starting in the front of the armpit,
extending forward, toward the bust. This creates a contour from the tailored/high-cut armpit, to the bust line.
Result: the armhole can be fitted and the bust can be relatively full.

B
T

fishmeok

Vendor
Can I see some pics? This is interesting (to me, anyway):)
Cheers
Mark

BellyTank said:
I asked about the lady-fit because I have a couple of Lady's sporting jackets.
One of them is like a Tanker jacket but particularly feminine in construction-
it has what I would call a bust-dart, a dart starting in the front of the armpit,
extending forward, toward the bust. This creates a contour from the tailored/high-cut armpit, to the bust line.
Result: the armhole can be fitted and the bust can be relatively full.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24