Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A little help please

T.Hecht

New in Town
^^^^^^
Waaaay too rough. It’s just too far gone, too deeply stained, to be restored to a presentable condition.

You may wish to visit the hats forum here, where help finding a better example might be had.
Thank you!

T.Hecht

New in Town
Please let me know if there are any available.. I have been looking but still not to savvy looking in the classifieds.. I found a nice coat.. lol

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Looking for some advice on the condition and price.. I really want an old stratoliner!
This one seems pricey but it does look the vintage I want.. please let me know from a more experienced view if it's worth it,..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2963999007...d5B4kdzTIO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Is it a genuine Stratoliner that you want? I can think of several hat makers who could provide you with a high quality replica. Tony, you still have your equipment?

Last edited:
Among my collection of vintage lids that rarely if ever get worn is a very clean Stratoliner in brown, but I won’t sell it because it was a gift from my lovely missus going on 20 years ago. I have three of those oval Stratoliner boxes, too. They aren’t for sale, either, unless someone shows enough cash to have me reconsidering.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Looking for some advice on the condition and price.. I really want an old stratoliner!
This one seems pricey but it does look the vintage I want.. please let me know from a more experienced view if it's worth it,..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2963999007...d5B4kdzTIO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
If you ask me, that's a pretty serviceable old beater if you don't mind what look like could be blood stains. It's old - possibly a 1940s hat - and with free shipping $99 is an okay price. The sweatband looks to be in decent shape but you really never know until you sweat in it. The felt looks to be in good shape.

I'd pay $60-70 for that hat with free shipping. You could make the seller an offer.

In my experience, Stratoliners come up pretty frequently on eBay, but $100 is about as cheap as you'll find them unless you get lucky. You might follow a Fedora Lounge seller named "deluxe64" on eBay; he frequently has good quality vintage lids - including Strats - for unbeatable prices.

If you ask me, that's a pretty serviceable old beater if you don't mind what look like could be blood stains. It's old - possibly a 1940s hat - and with free shipping $99 is an okay price. The sweatband looks to be in decent shape but you really never know until you sweat in it. The felt looks to be in good shape.

I'd pay $60-70 for that hat with free shipping. You could make the seller an offer.

In my experience, Stratoliners come up pretty frequently on eBay, but $100 is about as cheap as you'll find them unless you get lucky. You might follow a Fedora Lounge seller named "deluxe64" on eBay; he frequently has good quality vintage lids - including Strats - for unbeatable prices.
My greater concern on that hat is the dye from the sweatband bleeding clean through the felt. I doubt that could ever be washed out. It could be covered by a wide ribbon, but then it wouldn’t be much of a Stratoliner.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
My greater concern on that hat is the dye from the sweatband bleeding clean through the felt. I doubt that could ever be removed. It could be covered by a wide ribbon, but then it wouldn’t be much of a Stratoliner.

That’s why I call it a beater - I would wear this for running errands and doing chores, but not for a night out.

Also, as a new collector, it is very useful to handle old felts - even if the hat is not in great condition. The OPer doesn’t sound like he’s really looking to “collect”, but if he were, then this hat would be a good one to add to his collection (but not at $99 - i agree that is a bit too much for this one).

You might follow a Fedora Lounge seller named "deluxe64" on eBay; he frequently has good quality vintage lids - including Strats - for unbeatable prices.

I know that guy! :cool:

I have a couple coming up, but they are size 7-1/4.

IMG_3212.jpeg

M
IMG_3218.jpeg

IMG_3223.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_3287.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Last edited:

but will you vouch for him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom