Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A little help please

T.Hecht

New in Town
If you ask me, that's a pretty serviceable old beater if you don't mind what look like could be blood stains. It's old - possibly a 1940s hat - and with free shipping $99 is an okay price. The sweatband looks to be in decent shape but you really never know until you sweat in it. The felt looks to be in good shape.

I'd pay $60-70 for that hat with free shipping. You could make the seller an offer.

In my experience, Stratoliners come up pretty frequently on eBay, but $100 is about as cheap as you'll find them unless you get lucky. You might follow a Fedora Lounge seller named "deluxe64" on eBay; he frequently has good quality vintage lids - including Strats - for unbeatable prices.
Thanks!

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Looking for some advice on the condition and price.. I really want an old stratoliner!
This one seems pricey but it does look the vintage I want.. please let me know from a more experienced view if it's worth it,..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2963999007...d5B4kdzTIO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
The liner and hat pin are missing which could be a significant hit to its value. Also, if I’m not mistaken, the Royal Stetson is the lowest grade fur felt for the Stratoliner. I’ve seen that size tag associated with late 50s or early 60s but I’m no expert on dating.

Condition isn’t great but some of those stains could clean up. I don’t see any obvious defects like moth bites which is good. The sweat also appears to be supple and intact.

IMO, it is not a great collectible but it could be a nice beater especially if you like that color. With some work you could clean and shape it but if you like as is that’s fine too. Also note that a hat in that age and condition may have shrunk significantly — I would check with the seller and verify size from actual measurements before pursuing.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Might a bartender consider moving this thread to the hats forum?

Done! :)

Half an eye n Strats on eBay myself. Picked up a couple of the modern straw ones (one Florentine, one Hemp), lovely things (oddly, the Hemp Special Edition one is nearly an inch taller in the crown - same factory-shape c-crown, so it's not that....), very pleased with them for Summer wear. Tempted by a furfelt.... I do like a bound brim.

T.Hecht

New in Town
Where do you come up with these amazing old lids, Bob? Don’t answer that - I don’t want the magic ruined!

Too bad they are 1/4 size too big for me - or I should say, thank goodness, because I don’t need any more hats!
I'm size 7.. please message me if you have any old hats in this size! I am starting to collect and still learning a lot! Really appreciate all the wealth of info here and also enjoy the community!

I'm size 7.. please message me if you have any old hats in this size! I am starting to collect and still learning a lot! Really appreciate all the wealth of info here and also enjoy the community!
If you buy on Ebay or other online source, ask lots of questions. If the hat is being sold by a non hat person the description can be incorrect or misleading. I always ask; are there any moth nibbles, stains or other flaws in the felt? Are there any strong odours; cigarette smoke, mildew or?? Is the sweat band supple or is there dry rot, cracking or missing stitches? If the seller equivocates, walk away. If they say no to any of the above and they are wrong you have grounds to return for a refund.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom