Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A look at my Stetson Melrose, and a caution...

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I thought this one had potential when I saw the auction picture:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8236452317&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

And I was thrilled to find it was in fabulous shape. It's a Stetson 3X, almost a light rust brown with a raw edge, 2 5/8" brim and 5 7/8" open crown. The store label glued to the back of the sweatband said "Model: Melrose" and "Price: $17.50." After a vacuum brushing and steaming (more about that later) it came out like this:
detail

detail

detail

The liner says made expressly for Max J. Meyer Co. in Cheyenne.
detail

The reorder label is the red John B. Stetson Co. one, and the brand on the sweat is the beaver logo.
detail

The caution is this -- when the hat arrived, the sweat was supple and almost unblemished. I steamed the hat without a stretcher and, in order to flatten the brim, held the underside close to the kettle spout for what turned out to be much too long. I was horrified to turn the hat over and see I had cooked the sweatband. It had shrunk and cracked badly, as you can see in the last photo. I treated it with leather conditioner, but it's now so brittle it starts cracking if I turn it down to get a pix of the reorder label.

The hat dropped a size when the leather shrank, but I stretched it out to its original 7 1/4, so it's still wearable:
detail

But I'm disgusted with myself for lousing up the sweatband.

The lack of a Stetson liner hurts my trying to date it, and I don't know when Stetson stopped using the beaver logo. Any idea as to the age of the hat?

Siirous

One of the Regulars
At least the cracking is only at the top of sweatband, the way you described I thought you might have cooked a whole section! :cry: The hat still retained it's good looks, which is a plus. On a side note, what is in the background of your photographs? It looks like you did your cleaning at a stadium of some kind?

Sincerely,
Rob

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
A good thought...

SHARPETOYS said:
Check with Art Fawcett he may have a vintage Stetson sweat band that you could use to replace this one.

Thanks, Sharpetoys. I had already mulled possible replacement; even more so after wearing the hat on a low-humidity day and having it shrink down to too-tight again.

Art, if you happen to read this thread, let me know.

Siirous, I cooked the hat on my own stove, and took the pictures the next day inside one of the suites at the new arena here in Charlotte. I work for the NBA team, and my office is down the hall.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
oops....

HI Snrbfshn
Boy do I know that look ( as in leather). Had done that many times over the years.:) It doesn't look that terrible from the logo pic but if it has shrunk to where it won't fit then as unpopular as it might be, you might have to replace it. I have many leathers that I have removed from hats but can't swear that I have this one in your size. They are still packed away as I haven't started setting up the shop yet.
Please PM me and I will start the process off the Lounge.
As to dating the hat, the logo doesn't help me as there are few historians familiar enough to date it from that but I can confidently tell you that it appears to be '30s to early '40s. That is based on crown height, brim proportions, and the ribbon width and detailing. It's a pretty good representation of that period. ( and nice looking hat to boot!!)

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Well, Snrbfshn, sorry to say that you are not alone! I FUBAR'ed a near-new looking Dobbs that was soft and sweet, and fit absolutely perfectly right up to the point that I decided that a little extra steam on the brim would even up a slight noogie. :rage: I now have about 1/4 of the band looking like broken brown crepe paper and shriveled to about 2/3 of its original width and at least 1 size smaller with a worse wrinkle in the brim! I too will be looking for a 7 1/4 thrasher with a decent band...

Hmm... guess I should have bit a little higher on that brown Melrose...I could have saved you all that grief! ;) Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael