Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Montecristi 'Magnum Opus', My First Vintage Hat

HatsEnough

Banned
This recent eBay sale may be of interest to you. Stetson Genuine Panama, Seller believed it to be from the 30's or 40's. Thought of bidding, but was unsure of the fit and it went beyond my max bid in the final minute.

OK, this one came in today. My first straw ever.

It is just as I thought. No way this is from the 40s or earlier. It has the manila card stock, keyhole shaped size tag. I place it in the 1950s.

It is light as a feather, no breaks, in really nice shape for a 60 year-old hat, though. Sewing on the leather sweat solid. Sweat band is pliable and in great shape.

The ribbon is a bit wonky. I might replace that sometime in the future.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Delectans; The "first vintage hat" has a quality story and a quality outcome. Congrats on having an astute partner. I am glad that the hat has found your hat closet. You wear it well. A classy, cool lid.

Unfortunately the Montecristi will sit in the cedar closet for a bit more until the warm spring days find Minnesota and perhaps make way into the warm Summer weeks in July and August. Ahhh, time for you to put some wear to your new felts. They too are lids of quality.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
OK, this one came in today. My first straw ever.

It is just as I thought. No way this is from the 40s or earlier. It has the manila card stock, keyhole shaped size tag. I place it in the 1950s.

It is light as a feather, no breaks, in really nice shape for a 60 year-old hat, though. Sewing on the leather sweat solid. Sweat band is pliable and in great shape.

The ribbon is a bit wonky. I might replace that sometime in the future.

Looks like a pug on it. You should be able to adjust it yourself, should just unclip.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Many thanks for the kind comments, gentlemen!

Trombone: lol Hard to believe, that here in the Northwoods there can be productive estate sales, but there are. Just this past weekend there was a nice estate sale in St. Paul, in the Highland Park area on Edgecumbe, at the largest estate left in St. Paul. More accurately described as a 'moving sale', there sadly were no hats, but we did come away with a beautiful Georgian mirror.

cookie: You may well be correct in your WPSI estimate, but my wife and I have both counted the WPSI on numerous occasions, and seem to most consistently come up with a WPSI in the 1200 range. It is far easier to count accurately with less dense weaves.

HatsEnough: That is a nice looking Panama, congrats! Post some noggin shots when you get a chance.

Eric: Thanks again! Looks like it will be a fur felt weekend again, but I am hoping Sunday, at least, may be warm and sunny enough to wear straw.

Perry: Many thanks as always, for your kind words!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo