Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A pictorial thread about thread (AERO related...don't try this at home!!)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Grettings,

A couple of years ago I've requested a small thread sample of Aero's OD green thread to check the colour. A couple of days later I received almost half a bobbin. This is what it looks like:

5203750323_bd3f19b978_z.jpg

It's a three ply cotton wrapped glazed nylon thread which must be many times as strong a pure cotton thread of comparable gauge.

5203750327_7dc6917a3b_z.jpg

Since then I've used this extraordinary strong thread for sewing on various buttons (mainly for jackets) and I've also used it for repairing an old leather satchel. This stuff really rocks. To illustrate how strong it is I've used a dumbbell.
Now look at that:

5203750341_591d592e66_z.jpg

5203750333_03119cbc27_z.jpg

BTW: Today we had the first snow and it's really cold and shabby outside

Last edited:

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Jan- I've seen how much you like this thread since at least a couple (that I'm aware of) of your outstanding looking jackets have used it. So how heavy is the weight of the dumbbell and I assume it's a single strand of thread you're using?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Well, it's a loop with a double overhand knot. I guess that makes it a double strand. As for the dumbbell, there's 3.75 kg of weight on it plus 1.75 kg for the bar with nuts. That's 5.5 kg metric in total, which converts into little more than 12 lbs. I guess the breaking strength of the thread is even higher but this thread wasn't supposed to be a scientific discourse. I justed wanted to show that a top stitch seam that's made with this is a solid as it gets.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Nice info you have shared, Jan... thank you. :)

Nice to see your posts as always, and your jacket/hat combination looks great!

Cheers,
Navin

PoohBang

Suspended
I had them send me some thread to repair a zipper on my D-1 and I just got some wrapped around a piece of cardboard.... But either way, they're the best to send you stuff....

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My dad used the same thread when he made leather and cloth clothes.

It will go through your fingers before it breaks.
The knot is the weak part also. If you really want to test the strength you should use a scale and not make a knot
but take it round and round many times before tying, that way its not the knot that takes the beating
and then you should do it 10 times and divide.
This is what I do with linen thread to calculate how many strands I need.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Thread like that is readily available here in the John Lewis outlets. I have it in both black & brown. I'm not sure what other colours are stocked. As Griff rightly said it will cut through flesh rather than break so scissors are thread order of the day when cutting it to length.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Griff, yes I know that the knot is always the weakest part. But these pics were just for fun and had no scientific value at all. I don't know what the real breaking strength of one strand would be but it's more or less impossible to rip it apart with your bare hands.
I'm into traditional (3D) archery and I sometimes make bow strings for my various Martin bows and of course they are always Flemish splice and never use an overhand knot...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Thats interesting. Im into traditional archery aswell. And also allwood archey, I make my own bows.

I have given up target shooting and only shoot 3d.

How long have you been shooting?

JanSolo

Practically Family
I am too careless for yew or osage bows (which I adore) therefore I always have to shoot laminated bows. I like Martin bows because among the still affordable ones they offer by far the best build quality. I've been doing 3D since '94.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic:

I am too careless for yew or osage bows (which I adore) therefore I always have to shoot laminated bows. I like Martin bows because among the still affordable ones they offer by far the best build quality. I've doing 3D since '94.

Sorry to be offtopic, but wow thats a long time, and to find another trad archer here is just amazing!! I have only been shooting for 5 years. There isnt much difference in bows imo, its the arrow that matters.
If you do want to spend money, Borderbows from Scotland make beautiful bows, im sure you know. I have a Black douglas and its the most beautiful bow. Its a recurve tho.

Here is some osage bows i made:
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

My injury is really frustrating for both making and shooting bows. I was at lungshot average before i got sick and am now working my way back. Im gonna apply for World championship next year just for fun, I was really close to the intake points for EM last time(like 1 point from it many times). Would be cool to see you around.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks!
From toe to tip ;)

-Red Wing Iron Rangers
-Atelier LaDurance Prescott selvedge
-H&M Chambray shirt
-Schiesser retro vest
-Aero civil M422a seal veg goat
-Juke Jive/ Göttmann colab. Worker3 1930s newsboy cap
-1950s Omega Seamaster st.steel dress watch

Forum statistics