Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question about vintage (/repro) denim...

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
I’ve given it a thought. I might want to try it, I just have no idea with which vendor to go. Would want them So-Cal based so I could meet with them, describe the issues, etc. Suggestions, perchance?

I was in Highland Park yesterday and walked past a little place called Double Needle (on York) that will tailor and customize jeans- taper included. They also have a selection of vintage denim.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unless you have something against Levi's or button flies I would go down to your local discount mall. Hit up the the levi's Store and buy a pair of "Shrink to fit" 501's. You can usually get them for about $20 here in Canadian. Two choices then. Shrink to fit or take them to be altered. Either way you are not breaking the bank.
That's what I would do.
Johnny

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Maybe I’ll give 501s another shot. I’ve just found all Levi’s fit oddly on me (weird, right?)

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, do be careful when wearing white near the high quality denim. The StrikeGold indigo rubbed off on my shirt....
5C0039C1-6650-437E-8DF0-8AE1119AF44A.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
I had to give up on 501s long ago as the low rise never worked for me. If you want something with a cut that doesn't stick out as wide but you can still fit boots under easily and has a comfortable, natural-waist rise, look for the Wrangler Cowboy Cut range. I have a couple of pairs of the standard 13MWZ (fit unchanged since 1947, when they were the 11MWZ - 11oz Men's With Zip; couple of years in the went to 13oz denim, hence 13MWZ; still called the 13MWZ, but made with 14-15oz denim nowadays). You'll probably find the standard cut just fine - though they do do a slimmer version and a wider leg too. Dirt cheap all over America, but as good as any expensive vintage jean I've owned.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/men-jeans-cowboy-cut

Well, do be careful when wearing white near the high quality denim. The StrikeGold indigo rubbed off on my shirt.... View attachment 339456

Is than an SJC? Very like a shirt he did a couple of years ago.

Pandemic

One Too Many
If you know what you are looking for, why not order custom from CianoFarmer?

I have a custom pattern on file with him now, which is basically the ‘miner cut’ with an extra inch at the cuff (so it falls straight from the knee with no taper).

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
I'm going put in another recommendation for the Wrangler Cowboy Cut 13MWZ. Heavy 14.75 oz denim, a high rise and most importantly (for me) the back pockets are posititioned higher up, closer to your waistline, so you don't sit on your wallet when you sit down. I just bought a pre-washed pair this weekend for $35 (US) at my local Tractor Supply Co store.

leowane

New in Town
Yeah you are right. There's no substitute of vintage denim. In my opinion you should try Levi's, wrangler, gitano etc. You can find what you are looking for. My personal favorite is slim fit denim and 80's grunge hoodies with Stan smith white sneakers. First class denim can be found from worthy brands otherwise all are selling third class denim online.

ES335

One of the Regulars
Please, please what ever you do support American suppliers and avoid cheap Chinese junk- including those with seemingly American origins. They may seem like a good deal, but for a variety of reasons, they are not. For you the consumer, and our American brothers and sisters in the industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider