Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for pipe smokers.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If you have time, patience and money, search (and search) for vintage tins of Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture, and 759, now-legendary pipe tobacco mixtures that haven't been made since 1995. By many accounts, the best that one could ever hope for. Unfortunately, each tin now costs ... don't even ask.

Read about it here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=O&TID=1525

And here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=7&TID=1069

And here's a version of the story:

"For the better part of the 20th Century, this blend was made by Sobranie House under the aegis of the Redstone family. This was a complex blend of virginias, latakia, and many exotic leaves from the Turkey/Macedonia area with names like Syrna, Izmir, Xanthi, Yenidje, etc. On July 1, 1968, Gallaher Tobacco acquired the blend and the trademarked name. The blend was found to be too costly to manufacture and so it was simplified, being produced by Gallaher through the 1970's, 80's and then finally ceasing in 1995, with the last tins reaching eager pipesters in 1996.

Isadore Redstone sensed this void in 1995 and negotiated with the Lane Company to manufacture the old blend under a new name "Balkan Saseini." Unfortunately, by now the cigarette industry had turned its unblinking eye upon turkish tobacco, consuming all there was. Oriental tobacco was standardized and sold uniformly, no more to be readily had as the local varietals with exotic names. Hence the new blends simply could never be the same. Finally, even the Saseini was taken over by Orlik a few years ago, closing the chapter on the book of Sobranie with finality."

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
Haven't smoked it yet, but it smells very strong. Possibly the strongest stuff I've ever had.

Everything is relative. I don't consider Frog Morton to be a strong tobacco, but then I have been at the pipe smoking game for a spell. It contains some good Quaility Virginia tobacco which can smoke a bit hot if you puff at it agressively. On the other hand it does contain Latakia which being a smoke cured tobacco gives a pretty unique aroma to any blend which contains more than a little of it. Actually, Latakia serves to mellow the Virginias and make them smoke cooler.

Frog Morton, Frog Morton on the Town, Frog Morton Across the Pond, are all good blends for folks who are just beginning to explore the English blends. I prefer FM on the Town but all three are pretty good. Frog Morton on the Bayou is quite different in that it has a fair content of Perique which is something most people either love or hate.

Exploring and trying new blends is one of the things that makes the pipe smoking hobby so fascinating. There is always a new blend to try.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am learning that I really lucked out and got blends that I like a lot first try. And that I like Latakia-heavy English blends.

A pipe is a wonderfully relaxing experience, I find. Rather like some ladies might enjoy a long soak in a hot tub.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I'm partial to Gary L. Pease's Bohemian Scandal, but it is next to impossible to find. I'm on my last can. Barbary Coast is one of his sweeter blends without entering the aromatic arena.
Raven's Wing was in his lineup and may still be sitting on someone's shelf. The best advice is to go to a pipe shop and sample the house English blends. The tobacconist will usually let you fill your pipe for free, each visit.

I never smoke aromatics. They all end up tasting like burnt syrup to me...

An alternative to hitting the pipe shop is to visit the website of L.J. Peretti Co and order a sampler pack. It’s best if you phone them after reviewing their offerings and reading up on their blends.

Personally I enjoy Peretti’s D-9575, but I like a heavy tobacco.

http://www.ljperetti.com/Tobacco/Peretti_s_Tobacco/English/english.html

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
UPS just brought 100G tins of:

British Woods (second tin - great stuff)
St James Woods
Frog Morton

The Frog Morton is so SO good I can't stay out of it! Amazing.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
UPS just brought 100G tins of:

British Woods (second tin - great stuff)
St James Woods
Frog Morton

The Frog Morton is so SO good I can't stay out of it! Amazing.

All great McClelland's blends. You should enjoy them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk