Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for those who have parted ways with their Aero's

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Hello loungers, I have within a year taken possession of a Aero highwayman. Amanda was very kind, helpful, and prompt in all of her responses. I don't want this to sound like I am flaming Aero. I am planing on doing business with them again. The construction of the garment was exceptional. The hide, just beautiful. My issue is this, I am not a fan of the fit of my highwayman. Both the style I now think not suited for me, as I find it to be rather chunky. Also I think I should have ordered a size smaller. I was cautiously optimistic when I placed my first order, but sadly it is not quite what I had hoped for.
My question is what experiences have fellow loungers had either selling their Aero's or sending them back to Aero for exchange/credit? My issue is with the fit, but again I dont think it is something Aero got wrong, I had no baseline having never seen one in person to go off of when I ordered. My next order will be something slimmer, and with much smaller arm holes! A 30's halfbelt perhaps? I find myself frequently googling images of Bootlegers, (HD do you have any updated pictures for us yet)?
Thanks guys - OC

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hope this helps, but at the end of the day, 'best' to discuss with the maker of any jacket (if this is possible prior to order and purchase) about the pros and cons of different jacket types/fabric-leather types matched to your needs, your personal likes and your particular body shape.
This goes for any jacket, whether made by Aero or GoodWear. As the Duke of Wellington once quipped: "Time spent on reconnaisance is seldom wasted!" GOOD LUCK with the next one.

Hello loungers, I have within a year taken possession of a Aero highwayman. Amanda was very kind, helpful, and prompt in all of her responses.Amanda is easy to discuss with, make the most of it to get the jacket that is 'right for YOU' I don't want this to sound like I am flaming Aero. I am planing on doing business with them again. The construction of the garment was exceptional. The hide, just beautiful. My issue is this, I am not a fan of the fit of my highwayman. Sounds like THE FIT or style just wasn't to your liking - that happens, hence the research beforehand is worth doing.Both the style I now think not suited for me, as I find it to be rather chunky. Also I think I should have ordered a size smaller. I was cautiously optimistic when I placed my first order, but sadly it is not quite what I had hoped for. Remember, different types of leather drapes differently too on body shapes.
My question is what experiences have fellow loungers had either selling their Aero's or sending them back to Aero for exchange/credit? Aero sells well on secondhand market. You can trade in against a new one, but you will not get that much for it - Ebay may be the best route.My issue is with the fit, but again I dont think it is something Aero got wrong, I had no baseline having never seen one in person to go off of when I ordered. My next order will be something slimmer, and with much smaller arm holes! A 30's halfbelt perhaps? I find myself frequently googling images of Bootlegers, (HD do you have any updated pictures for us yet)?
Thanks guys - OC

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
OldCrow, if you want to trade in your jacket Aero will give you about half the price off whatever new jacket you order. Or you could try to sell it here. Yes, I agree, sizing is the biggest problem with Aero (and probably any other jacket-maker you buy from sight-unseen). My latest halfbelt I sent back twice and it's still not really perfect, sad to say. But I'm still a bit of an Aero addict. Thinking of going up to Galashiels to get measured up. Sir J

Edward

Bartender
I want to visit Aero myself at some point, but I daren't until my bank balance is healthier after the few Aeros I have already bought... ;) To discuss fit, it is best to get a good set of accurate measurements, then talk to Amanda about fit of the various models. I've shyed away from the Highwayman myself as I prefer something more fitted than its boxy style (which is wholly accurate to the late 50s / early 60s period from which the design originates, to the best of my knowledge). I have a Thirties halfbelt which I love, though do be warned that it is neatly cut over my pot belly - if you are more or less the same size at the waist as chest, you'll have trouble fastening one of those. My Bootlegger, a standard size 42 (as is my Halfbelt) is a snug fit, if slightly less so compared to my Halfbelt.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Having never even seen an aero in person it was difficult to know what questions to ask. I think that Amanda certainly delivered a jacket based on our conversations, which is why I in no way am unhappy with my purchase. It truly is a beautiful jacket, I know now having all winter to wear mine what features I like and diss like. Also the cut of the garment in the future I will pay closer attention to, and ask more questions. Chaulk it up to a learning experience.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
An expensive learning experience, Ouch! I love my bootlegger and bought it used in like new condition. You might sell the one you have, and start looking for one here for sale rather than order a new one again. BTW welcome to the lounge.-- John
Thanks John I have been lurking on the lounge for quite sometime, you folks here have been very kind and helpful. My line of thinking was selling it on eBay. I thought it best to tap the vast knowledge here first before proceeding.
I sure would love to find a used one and skip the wait time, break in, and cost of a new one. Sadly I don't wear the common 40/42 that I see regularly, at 5'10" and a 145lbs I wear a size 34/36 jacket, I think I will end up ordering new again.

Edward

Bartender
That's not a common size, no.... though on the flipside, when a jacket does turn up in that size (I recently saw a brown thirties halfbelt on eBay that was, from memory, a 36), they do tend to go much cheaper than the more common sizes, presumably as there aren't so many people looking for one that size. For selling your highwayman, eBay is a good bet - the Aero name is well known on there, and they seem to get fair prices. Aero will do a trade in, though they'll give you half of what you paid as obviously they want to sell it on themselves and so need to make a bit of a profit. Worth trying eBay first (with a reserve, of course).

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
I want to visit Aero myself at some point, but I daren't until my bank balance is healthier after the few Aeros I have already bought... ;) To discuss fit, it is best to get a good set of accurate measurements, then talk to Amanda about fit of the various models. I've shyed away from the Highwayman myself as I prefer something more fitted than its boxy style (which is wholly accurate to the late 50s / early 60s period from which the design originates, to the best of my knowledge). I have a Thirties halfbelt which I love, though do be warned that it is neatly cut over my pot belly - if you are more or less the same size at the waist as chest, you'll have trouble fastening one of those. My Bootlegger, a standard size 42 (as is my Halfbelt) is a snug fit, if slightly less so compared to my Halfbelt.

You bring up a good point that one must consider the cut of the jacket, something I didn't entirely think of myself. Thanks.

oldcrown82 if you don't mind answering, what size was the jacket and what are your measurements?

D

Deleted member 16736

My Highwayman is going up for sale as soon as my Goodwear A-2 arrives. I frankly do not care for the Highwayman fit either, finding it chunky as you do and also finding the sleeves comically large. And the leather is too thick and heavy for my purposes. If anyone is interested, it's a 42L, but I'll post in the classified section w. pictures when I'm ready. But I had a similar experience: excellent construction and quality, but not the jacket of my dreams.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello oldcrow82;

Very sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the Highwayman. Judging by the pics you submitted, I thought the fit was terrific.

Of course with your build you could definitely pull off the '30s HB or even the HG-5.

Good luck with your future purchase and like Edward said, Ebay is a good place to unload the Highwayman. Of course you might want to give fellow Loungers a "right of first refusal" in the Classifieds section before the 'Bay.

Regards, coffee

Cole

One of the Regulars
I bought my Highwayman used on ebay. Sadly I had the same problem like you, I couldn't realy warm up with the wider more bulky cut of this jacket. That was of course my own fault, since I didn't do any profound research on the jacket.

I ended up selling the jacket on eBay for the same price I bought it for (minus the eBay fees). I would recomend using some of the pictures you posted here earlier. In my experience it allways helps to sell an item if you have high quality pictures of it.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hello loungers, I have within a year taken possession of a Aero highwayman. Amanda was very kind, helpful, and prompt in all of her responses. I don't want this to sound like I am flaming Aero. I am planing on doing business with them again. The construction of the garment was exceptional. The hide, just beautiful. My issue is this, I am not a fan of the fit of my highwayman. Both the style I now think not suited for me, as I find it to be rather chunky. Also I think I should have ordered a size smaller. I was cautiously optimistic when I placed my first order, but sadly it is not quite what I had hoped for.
My question is what experiences have fellow loungers had either selling their Aero's or sending them back to Aero for exchange/credit? My issue is with the fit, but again I dont think it is something Aero got wrong, I had no baseline having never seen one in person to go off of when I ordered. My next order will be something slimmer, and with much smaller arm holes! A 30's halfbelt perhaps? I find myself frequently googling images of Bootlegers, (HD do you have any updated pictures for us yet)?
Thanks guys - OC

OC, do you have a jacket that fits you well? A jacket that you really like? If so, take measurements, and use them to design your next jacket. Be careful however as different jacket patterns will fit differently.

I normally would wear a size 40 A-2 (ELC, GW, etc.) but with Aero's utility jackets I have to go with size 36 with smaller turnings (i.e., between sizes 36 & 38). Like you, I too had to go through several expensive experiments before getting the right fit. The next time you get your Aero jacket, before even wearing it, take measurements to make sure they match (+/- 0.5") your specs.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I looked at the 6 months photos again and I think the jacket looks really good on you.
I dont really understand why people are conserned with the jackets behaviour when raising the arms, do you really
raise your arms that much?

If I were you I would use it when it gets colder and layer a sweater under, that takes care of abit of the puffyness.
Its too nice to sell, imho.

Black Leather

New in Town
This is what happens when you buy a jacket without trying it on first. If you had tried that jacket on in a store you probably would not have purchased it, but since you purchased it online -- and it's non-returnable -- you talk yourself into the idea that it's as good as you wanted it to be. But the reality is that you wouldn't have bought it in the first place had you been able to try it on first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran