Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Real Close Shave

NathanJD

New in Town
Please allow me to introduce myself, I’m Nathan and there are many aspects of my life that take inspiration from looking into the past. I don’t actually live a 20’s, 30’s or 40’s life per se (not YET anyway) but so often when I research a subject or become interested in something it comes to light that one company or another way back when hit the design nail smack on the head and everything since has just been a natural progression of that (and not always to best advantage). A good example of this is my Leica camera – I marvel at it although it is twice my age, conceived when my father’s age was still in single figures and works better than I will by the time I’m the age it is now and is likely to still be operative by then and long after I’m gone. It is mechanical perfection to the point that Leica themselves produce and sell a camera to this day with very few design alterations and almost indiscernible aesthetic differences.

I am fascinated with other things from the ‘good old days’ too including style and it’s application and influence in contemporary design. I have the pleasure of owning Bernard Roetzel’s ‘Gentleman; A Timeless Fashion’ and have read it over and again. I also work a city office job and get the opportunity to dress smart each day. And indeed a lot of what I wear, I have found in retrospect, takes very strong cues from fashions from the British style that has hardly changed in 80 odd years.

I feel as though my fascination may continue and manifest it’s self more and more as my life continues, my partner shares the same fascination and we would love to live a way of life long since disappeared from the modern world – a vintage car (perhaps a weekend car), a vintage house (quickly disappearing as magnolia wielding developers rip the souls of many a fabulous residence out in ignorance).

One evening a little while ago I started a conversation with some friends in a pub about getting a real shave with a ‘cut-throat razor’ when a friend said that he actually used one regularly up until the 70’s and would kindly loan me one of his old razors to try it out with. After considering my health i consulted the internet and found out a lot about the art of straight razor shaving. I slowly but surely mastered the art of removing facial hair with an open blade and have done so ever since. The blade that was loaned to me has proved to be by far the best razor I have and after I had it sharpened properly the previous owner gifted it to me. It’s a Sheffield razor, an area said to be one of the finest producers after Germany. I own 2 razors including this both of which are vintage razors from the hay day of dubious hair removal.

My question is who else uses straight razors or old style safety razors here and let’s see what you have! Is it vintage? Do you sharpen it yourself?

I will photograph mine shortly to add to this and i apologize if this is a repeated idea! I tried to search it and didn’t find such a thread :)

Nathan.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own a couple but I never use them. My new Gillette 'Fusion' is just too good!
Oh yeh, and "Mae pobl Dyfed yn canu clodydd eu sir cymaint nes ie bod yn amlwg eu bod yn ystyried fod byw yma yn wir fraint."

-dixon cannon

NathanJD

New in Town
Thank you both! sorry Dixon, my welsh isn't up to much, i got that the people of dyfed are singing the praises of famous something or other but i haven't spoen welsh since i left welsh school at the age of 7 :eek: I did get on the other hand that you're currently enjoying a nice pint! wish i could share one with you but i'm keeping it very sober as i'm starting a new job tomorrow ;)

Ya know, those straights will give you a better and more comfortable shave than that fusion will - that's what i switched from!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek:fftopic: "Dyfed people singing the praises of their county so until that is clearly yes considering that they are indeed privileged to live here. "

-dixon 'badfinger' cannon

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Ever since my electric razor was lost.. I have been using a straight razor in its place.

My great grandfather was a barber and I have some really old straights downstairs.. (in a safe, actually-- I don't know how much they're worth today, if anything but.. it's a sentimental thing).

Anyway.. I often times let my beard grow out, and using regular razors don't work too well on lots of facial hair. They jam up and lose their sharp too easily. So.. at times like that I used to use my electric clippers and then a regular razor.. Now, when that happens, I just go straight, all the way.

I find straights work excellent and smooth, and I've only cut myself once or twice.. In fact, shaving in a hurry, I've cut myself a lot more often with a regular Gillette, or a Bic.

And I HATE, absolutely HATE those Schick razors.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Using a straight razor these days is a bit brave. The variety of multi-blade units out there offers a less dangerous alternative for those of us who's hands are not as steady as they once were. My grandfather was a barber, and I always froze in fear as he finished up with that straight razor on my neck(I was too young for shaving then, thank goodness).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo