Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A replaced ribbon...

majormoore said:
J.T. you should see the pile of ribbons and hats I have messed up, oh what a mess $$$$$$$$$$, but you never learn if you don't try.

Mike Moore

So I take it that you matriculated at the same school most all our present-day hatters attended? School of HK, ain't it?

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I tried a ribbon replacement too, as part of generally fixing this old hat up to look better.

It looked too cowboy-ish for my tastes with a leather ribbon. Looked to me like a cheap hat wearing an ugly belt, but it kept the rain off my head...
re-Ribbon1_img1.JPG

After doing a different major hat repair, I found a store that has good ribbon! So, I debated over colors, looking at other Loungers' black hats, and settled on red. Here's the finished swap:
re-Ribbon1_img2.JPG

On head:
re-Ribbon1_img3.JPG

A little stiffener and water treatment, and this hat will be better than new! If I can ask for opinions, do you think this would look better with a thicker ribbon (a bit wider than the original leather ribbon)? I wanted to make the crown look taller, but in the process I think I exaggerated the already-huge 3" brim. Would a wider ribbon tone down the Zorro look a bit?

Last edited:

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Here We Go Again!

Call me crazy, but I re-ribboned the same hat again today. :eeek: I decided the thin ribbon was really making the brim took too big. The first ribbon replacement was a really nice job for only my second try, and I wasn't able to get the latest job done quite as well as that red one shown above. But it still turned out nice.

I wanted a wide yellow ribbon to better integrate this keychain pendant of a Big Bad Voodoo Daddy logo.
BBVD_pin.jpg

The hat with the new ribbon. I was on the go today, so I took an hour break at a public library to scrap off the old ribbon and sew on the new one.
re-Ribbon2_img2.JPG

The Big Bad Voodoo Hat, worn with an attitude to match. If anyone knows the band's song "Mr. Pinstripe Suit," you'll know where I got my "new" hat's name.
re-Ribbon2_img1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner