Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Series; All Creatures Great and Small

dirigoboy

New in Town
As stated elsewhere tonight, I love this series based on the books. I've read them all, and was initially enthralled with the first series in the late 70's.
I would be perhaps the wrong person to make comparisons or offer assessments on anything on set, but I have fully appreciated in this latest series, the styls of the Dales farmers....and these fabrics that they wear around their necks. I find it unique...and appealing. It's like a UK version of a Western cowboy neckerchief.

I'd love to hear more about the Dales farmers styles in this regard, what those men were wearing in terms of fabrics, and how they tied them. To me, it has a sense of working style, yet I'm sure they wore them not only out of habit, but out of purpose perhaps.
Others?

dirigoboy

New in Town
As stated elsewhere tonight, I love this series based on the books. I've read them all, and was initially enthralled with the first series in the late 70's.
I would be perhaps the wrong person to make comparisons or offer assessments on anything on set, but I have fully appreciated in this latest series, the styls of the Dales farmers....and these fabrics that they wear around their necks. I find it unique...and appealing. It's like a UK version of a Western cowboy neckerchief.

I'd love to hear more about the Dales farmers styles in this regard, what those men were wearing in terms of fabrics, and how they tied them. To me, it has a sense of working style, yet I'm sure they wore them not only out of habit, but out of purpose perhaps.
Others?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I also read all the books and enjoyed the original serial adaptation. This one has me completely hooked. I watch all three seasons and start over. I’ve decided this is where I want to live, as it’s perfect for me: Skeldale House is just perfect.
It has actually revived my waning interest in vintage. I’m assembling a tweedy business for this winter. And yes, the workwear of the farmers is as interesting as Tristan’s jumpers. I absolutely love all of it.

dirigoboy

New in Town
The second adaptation followed the first in terms of the cast. You could not have asked for a cast that jelled any better, they were all made for each other. I do the same thing in watching this series. I agree about Skeldale. Mrs. Pumphrey said it best when she compared it's layout to a "swiss army knife." It seemed to amuse Mrs. Hall. The next installments, though not quite here are coming. Season 4 will begin in October in the UK.....we will of course wait a bit later,.......I believe in January?

I will sometimes halt episodes in mid stride to look at artifacts and note the clothes, that and the radio's, clocks and other things. I had one pleasant surprise. My grandmother left me the family grandfather clock some years back, which is very old, and I was amazed that the clock in the sitting room at Skeldale is exactly like mine.
I did splurge having found a wonderful 1940 Zenith console radio. It is a beautiful piece and I will send it out to be cleaned and new tubes installed so that it plays as original. It is a bit different than the console they keep in their parlor but those radio's have such a unique sound. Now, if you'd like to enjoy a vintage table top radio just like the one Mrs. Hall has in the kitchen, (which plays a poignant role), you'll be looking for an "American" made Philco radio. It is a Model 39-71, 1939 Philco "Traveler." Rather unique for it's time as it had no plug....it ran on a battery. In buying my radio, I learned there are a number of businesses selling vintage radio's and depending on make and model, they're fairly reasonable.

I've a few vintage coats, fedora, and flat caps, but as much as I would love to own one of those Fair Isle knit sweaters as Tristan wears, I will have to save my pennies.....those beauties are pricey.
Keep us posted on your tweed business. Almost forgot.....I stumbled across a business in the UK that, while catering mostly to the film industry, they also have period wear for men and women. I really enjoyed looking at their wares. They are not overly pricey, and they do mail to the U.S. I may look to them in future. Find them at: www.darcyclothing.com

Cheers

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I very nearly jumped out of my seat at this sweater!

IMG_4111.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have a couple of Ralph Lauren Fair Isle sweater vests which I put together with corduroy trou from Orvis. All of it sourced on the cheap. Put together with a tweed jacket, it works, but it has been a too warm winter here to wear it much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points