Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A stinky old Mallory

Rooster

Practically Family
I found a brown Mallorry "Sportabout Cravenette" back in September in the Halloween costume bin at the local goodwill store. Brown and the softest fur felt hat I've ever had my hands on. You just sort of rebash it to what ever style you want every time you put it on. A bit small, but close enough I knew I could stretch it. The sweat band was all but falling out and fragile.
So last night I sat down and sewed the sweat back in and hosed her down in preparation for the stretch. All went as according to plan, The fragile sweat band split in a couple spots and the hat stretched out TOO BIG!:rage: I'll probably soak it again and dry it on a lamp..... actually, the sweat is still damp, so maybe with out the hat jack in it it will shrink some as the sweat dries.....Anyway, The most surprising thing is the stench of this hat once it was wet. It smells of rancid beaver piss!:eek: Every time you touch the thing you have to go wash that horrible smell off your hands. The smell is disappearing as the hat dries, but I sure hope I don't ever get caught in the rain, I won't be very popular with those that are with in smelling distance!lol
I got a grand total of 98 cents in this, and it could turn into one of my favorites. What's it cost for one of the pros to put in a new sweat into an old hat?

Renovations

We have a number of hat guys that are part of the group. You could consider getting the hat cleaned and reblocked as have a new sweat put in for probably 60-70 bucks. Jimmy Pierce's logo comes up regularly and I recalled that a number of guys have had him do such work. He has a chart under his hats section. www.jimmypiercedesigns.com

I have 2 JC Penny hats (one is a Marathon) that I am considering having work done on this winter.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Save that Mallory...or sell it to me.

Rooster,

Is there any more information about the Mallory? Crown height, brim width, edge, info on the sweatband or liner, etc.?

Can you post some pictures of that Mallory before you have it reconditioned (which you should do)?
It'll be great to have a before and after record of the Mallory's resurrection.

If you should decide not to bother,please let me know. I'd be glad to take her off your hands. I'm having a love affair with any vintage Mallory that I can lay my hands on and the size and condition don't matter.

J.B.

Practically Family
Rooster -- I feel your pain.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Are you sure it's not XXX skunk?...

In my humble experience, nothing will create unfavorable attention faster than walking through the fine perfumes department at Neiman-Marcus while:

1. Carrying a large dixie cup to accommodate the frequent residue from your Beech-Nut chaw.

and...

2. Wearing an incredibly malodorous lid fashioned of wet XXX skunk felt!

"Security! Security to the fragrance aisle!"

Rooster

Practically Family
carter said:
Rooster,

Is there any more information about the Mallory? Crown height, brim width, edge, info on the sweatband or liner, etc.?

Can you post some pictures of that Mallory before you have it reconditioned (which you should do)?
It'll be great to have a before and after record of the Mallory's resurrection.

If you should decide not to bother,please let me know. I'd be glad to take her off your hands. I'm having a love affair with any vintage Mallory that I can lay my hands on and the size and condition don't matter.
I'll get some pictures of it after this weekend, I'm doing a big chicken show and won't be home much. I own 3 other vintage hats besides the Mallory. Two Stetson Open Roads and a Resitol Roper. The Roper of course is as stiff as a board, and the Open roads are fairly stiff too, about like my Akubra squatter. This Mallory could probably be rolled up and carried in your back pocket and come to no harm it's so soft. I measured the brim on the Mallory yesterday and I believe it was 2 5/8 with what I believe is called a "Cavanaugh edge"

carter

I'll Lock Up
Rooster said:
I'll get some pictures of it after this weekend, I'm doing a big chicken show and won't be home much. I own 3 other vintage hats besides the Mallory. Two Stetson Open Roads and a Resitol Roper. The Roper of course is as stiff as a board, and the Open roads are fairly stiff too, about like my Akubra squatter. This Mallory could probably be rolled up and carried in your back pocket and come to no harm it's so soft. I measured the brim on the Mallory yesterday and I believe it was 2 5/8 with what I believe is called a "Cavanaugh edge"

Rooster, I can't wait to see the pictures.

Odor is not an issue.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran