Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A stupid question about ties

PseudoGent

New in Town
Hey guys, it's my first post on this here lounge, so please be gentle.
I recently purchased a gold/navy blue repp stripe tie from Polo Ralph Lauren (I'm not THAT vintage, I'm here for the feds and the knowledge you may be able to impart). When I brought it home, I noticed a thread of fabric keeping the two back flaps not-so-tightly but no-too-loosely bound. I at first thought this could and indeed would be one of those stitches that are used when on the rack, to be taken off first thing when you get home. That all said, I'm not sure if it is such a thread. Would you be able to help? My kind thanks either way.

PseudoGent

New in Town
Thanks for the prompt reply, I can't take a photo right now as my camera's out of the house at this stage, but I'll be sure to take a photo and upload within about 24 hours, hopefully less. The main reason I've asked is that the thread seems to be slowly loosening on the ends of its own accord, although the midsection seems reasonably tight. It's my first serious quality tie, so Im not entirely sure about the details of construction. Pics shall soon follow, God willing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Widebrim said:
Without a photo, it's a bit unclear as to what you are referring
Ditto.

But on the off chance that you're referring to the stitching right below the tag in this photo; leave it be!

custommadetie13.jpg

PseudoGent

New in Town
Thanks Tomasso, I've been looking for a photo to illustrate my point. I have since by chance come across an article (I've been searching before, but it wasn't until about 10 minutes ago that I found a relevant piece) and I have found my answer. That stitch was indeed one of the stitches I was referring to, so thanks for the near-immediate answer. This is probably the first time in at least a year that I've had to ask such a stupid question, but it was one of the first times I've had difficulty finding an answer as well, that is until now. I look forward to further activity within the lounge and hope to be involved in other discussions very soon. THANKS ALL!

PseudoGent

New in Town
Thanks Orsini, every little piece of info is treasured on my end. I've started to study the various components of jacket and trouser design, but I'm still a novice (especially when it comes to things like ties, in case you didn't notice). I'm really appreciating the help guys, I know I need it.

Orsini

Familiar Face
PseudoGent said:
Thanks Orsini, every little piece of info is treasured on my end. I've started to study the various components of jacket and trouser design, but I'm still a novice (especially when it comes to things like ties, in case you didn't notice). I'm really appreciating the help guys, I know I need it.
Glad to have been of assistance.

"The Indispensable Guide to Classic Men's Clothing" (http://www.amazon.com/Indispensable...r_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245571780&sr=1-10) is not bad considering it was written by two gentlemen who are not actually in the rag trade.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Most modern ties are now fully stiched so the "roll" of the tie does not come apart. However some ties (particularly better made ties) have a string running through the length of the tie. The rationale is that the tie will naturally need some movement when tying and untying it, and so the string allows it that movement. It also allows you to tighten the "roll" of the tie to keep it together over time.

PseudoGent

New in Town
PseudoGent,

Great avatar, I have a print of that portrait on my wall in my office.

Yes, I needed an avatar, and my face rarely turns up in photos, so it was either this or Rorshach, and I believe a fellow member or two have already beaten me to that rather brutal punch. Besides, people see Napoleon and they can know that whatever I type must be bright :rolleyes:

As for your recommendation Orsini, I'll look into it. My library needs some bulking up, and a good style guide would help round out my current collection. A guide for attention to detail, I assume? Thanks to all, I know I've said that word a lot, but I never figured that so much help and discussion would occur within such a small timeframe. That said, I am new here :eek: .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy