Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A surprising Atomic Pin-up...

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Google Ed Westcott. He was the official Clinton Engineer Works/ Manhattan Engineer District photographer and still lives here. He may have taken that pic; 90% of the known WW2 pix of the Townsite were taken by him. Feel free to PM me and I'll help you all I can. I live here in the Secret City in a highly modernized "A" Cemesto.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Dave,

Good to hear from you. I have friends on Outer Dr and plan to move there in a few years. I'd like a B-home myself then restore it back to at least having the flavor of it's original design up through say the 50's when the city was opened up. I stumbled upon the Secret City a couple of years ago. Here's a thread where I had begun exploring the architecture of those homes. I've learned a lot since I started that thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?51369-Oak-Ridge-Architecture

I don't know what it is but I am totally captivated by that city's history. This particular photograph is credited to the US Army Signal Corps. No specific photographer.

Thanks
Matt

plain old dave

A-List Customer
I think the house in the other thread is up near the park at the top of Kentucky Av, around New York and Michigan. For the peanut gallery, ORTN street names are in alphabetical order; A's are on the East End. I am right there with ya on This city; I really understand President Eisenhower's love for his farm right outside the Gettysburg battlefield. I have the privelege of driving by History *every day*.

Guest House, where transients as diverse as Secretary Stimson, Enrico Fermi, Oppenheimer, and ADM Rickover stayed

The Church On The Hill

Jackson Square

Blankenship Field (the pic where everybody is celebrating the end of the war)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Dave,

That is EXACTLY where that house is. So how is the "New York Pizza" joint anyway? We usually wind up at the Chinese Buffet on the parkway or the Outback when visiting our friends. Does your home still have the Cemesto panels exposed or was it covered in recycled B-29's sometime in the 50's?

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I live about an hour from Oak Ridge. What type of items are you interested in? If I come across anything I could let you know.

Thanks! Mostly I'm looking for original photographs, particularly of the architecture and also signs, atomic themed advertising. I was outbid a few weeks ago on some irradiated seed packets from an Oak Ridge company, darn.

Matt

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Dave,

That is EXACTLY where that house is. So how is the "New York Pizza" joint anyway? We usually wind up at the Chinese Buffet on the parkway or the Outback when visiting our friends. Does your home still have the Cemesto panels exposed or was it covered in recycled B-29's sometime in the 50's?

Matt

Just caught this post. New York Pizza closed, but Big Ed's is still goin' strong. There are now *3* restaurants in Jackson Square, Razzleberry's (ice cream parlor/euro-deli/restaurant) serves lunch AND dinner, and a new place called Dean's moved into the old Drug Store. Both have great BBQ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav