Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A tale of 2 Dubows...GW and BK

carl1000

New in Town
If I were you I would send that BK jacket over to Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. Tell him what you want taken up and they will knock it out of the park. You don't have to send it all the way back to BK. It may take 2-3 weeks max. First off, Johnson Leathers makes killer leather jackets and have more than enough skills to do this. I got them to resize a jacket for me. I was like, no way they would be able to do it. It turned out awesome. You couldn't even tell anyone took it apart and fixed it to my specs. I will be ordering a BK jacket soon. That will be my plan if it doesn't fit perfect.

If I were you I would send that BK jacket over to Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. Tell him what you want taken up and they will knock it out of the park. You don't have to send it all the way back to BK. It may take 2-3 weeks max. First off, Johnson Leathers makes killer leather jackets and have more than enough skills to do this. I got them to resize a jacket for me. I was like, no way they would be able to do it. It turned out awesome. You couldn't even tell anyone took it apart and fixed it to my specs. I will be ordering a BK jacket soon. That will be my plan if it doesn't fit perfect.

I live in the Bay Area, am very familiar with Johnson's. Have a jacket made by them.
There is actually somebody a bit closer I use who is very good at leather jacket alterations.

RayR

One of the Regulars
I am confused, looking at the GW site, I dont see the 1755 listed as an option. I also don't see that color. Just Seal and Russet. How did this jacket come to be? What am I missing?

BTW, Great comparison. I am looking at a Dubow 1755 A-2 and about to pull the trigger. BK just (as in a few days ago) got their "NEW" batch of Victory HH. The pics they sent are almost dead on color to the Original jacket they showed side-by-side. So I am wondering, is this from their previous batch of Victory HH or some other hide?

From the advertising and other things I have read on the forum, I would expect more from the BK. Especially since I own one of their Indiana Jones Raiders jackets which has fantastic leather and workmanship. But I will say that my first impression of your picks is that the GW looks better fit to you. And now I'm rethinking GW. Please give me details to ask for a build exactly like what you are showing here.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Given Jeff's experiences with BK - two jackets, two, and let's be blunt, two botched jobs over something like 16 months - you'd be as well going with GW, gives you the peace of mind and guarantee of quality thrown in.

I am confused, looking at the GW site, I dont see the 1755 listed as an option. I also don't see that color. Just Seal and Russet. How did this jacket come to be? What am I missing?

John doesn't have the 1755 listed on his web site, but does offer it. I came across it from seeing photos of other folks' GW's.
Here is a link to the GW jacket photo page showing some of the different jackets / contracts they have made over the years;

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/

I think I came across the 1755 by looking at photos in the "customer wearing" section;

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Customer_Wearing/

Re; leather...mine is made from the new cow hide that GW just got in...also not currently pictured in their "available leather" section.
My experience has been that when my slot in the que comes up, I end up completely changing the contract and leather I selected over a year ago often based on photos of what I see John has recently produced. I email John asking if he has any new leathers he likes, and ask him to send me more samples. That's what happened with this jacket. In reviewing my specs with them when it was time to make my jacket, John told me how much he really liked the new cow hide he just got in.....and I asked him to send me some samples along with samples of whatever else he had that was new and some other leathers I'd seen his jackets made out of that I was interested in. Got the samples later that week.

If interested in GW, email them and ask them to send you samples of their current leather options.
By the time your turn in the que comes up (about 18 months from now) they will likely added even more selections.

Re; BK...no idea how their leather procurement works. When I ordered my A2 the end of 2012 I specified their "VH" leather in dark seal. Thought they had it on hand from what I had been seeing on the forums with new BK jackets. They ran out of it at least one time, long wait for their supplier to ship them a new batch. Told them to go ahead and use a different color VH leather..then they ran out of that too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto