Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A tip of interest to anyone who wears boots...

Corky

Practically Family
Of interest to anyone who walks any distance in boots:

A few years back, I noticed a weakness in the design of most contemporary boots. There is little or no padding at the heel, so that when one walks in them, one's heel bone comes down in contact with the boot's hard flat liner or insole. There is little padding at the bottom of the human heel, so the impact goes right into the bone. (This is one reason why so many people walk around in running shoes: athletic shoes have more padding and are generally more comfortable if you have to walk any distance.)

This problem can be particularly annoying in cowboy boots, because the tacks which are used to attach the heel can come loose and you can feel them biting into your heel as you walk. The problem is the same with a stacked leather, hard rubber, or vibram heel. Spending more on boots doesn't help: Frye, Timberland, Doc Marten's, and the other premium boots all seem to lack a padded heel surface. The manufacturers save a few cents and most customers don't notice.

The solution is simple: get some leather-covered foam rubber heel pads and attach them to the inside of the heels of your boots with Barge Cement.

The leather heel pads can be found at almost any shoemaker's shop or ordered via Amazon.com. The pads have some kind of double-sticky tape thing on the bottom to hold them in place, but these are sadly inadequate.

Barge Cement is an essential tool of shoe makers and leather craftsmen. It is an old-fashioned hide-based glue which becomes more flexible with use. One applies a coat of cement to each surface to be joined and puts them aside for 15 minutes, then clamps them together and let them dry overnight.

This boot heel tip is no a big deal, but it is one of those things like moving up from wearing a cheap wool fedora to wearing a premium felt: in the long run, it feels so good that you wonder why you didn't start doing it years ago.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Of course, many men who wear Western boots take pride in the painful aspects of wearing them.

The attitude contrasts sharply with that of many women, who resort to podiatry to address the discomfort of high heels or other fashionable shoes.

The difference is one of tradition vs. fashion as much as it is men vs. women.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Of course, many men who wear Western boots take pride in the painful aspects of wearing them.

The attitude contrasts sharply with that of many women, who resort to podiatry to address the discomfort of high heels or other fashionable shoes.

The difference is one of tradition vs. fashion as much as it is men vs. women.

I have worn western boots for many years,they are extremely comfortable,maybe cheap one's are painful ,I never wear cheap shoes or boots.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Michaelshane said:
I have worn western boots for many years,they are extremely comfortable,maybe cheap one's are painful ,I never wear cheap shoes or boots.

Me, too. I find running shoes and other athletic-style footwear to be incredibly uncomfortable. I can and have walked all day in well-made cowboy boots. Actually, I just realized I have worn cowboy boots at least 360 days a year for 36 years. The other five days a year get insulated pac boots because the snow is deep (of course I'm guessing at 5, but it's not many).

I have looked at the cheap cowboy boots and would agree that they'd be terrible for the wearer's heels.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I wear work boots all day, every day. They're as comfortable as anything I have worn. Tennis shoes (they're all called "Tennyshoes") are HOT. I can't imagine how I ever wore them years ago.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
My go to boots are Whites Packers.

Worn them for 25 years now (two rebuilds), and never felt the need for padding of any sort. I believe if the footbed is properly constructed, insoles are not required.

Tophat Dan

New in Town
Bingo!

Dead on Inusuit...
Any kind of shoe that fits you properly should not hurt, scrape, blister, pinch, fold, spindle or mutilate your feet in any way. Ever. However, insoles in general can help a good deal in some situations. I work in a warehouse, so I'm on bare cement flooring all day. My shoes fit fine, but my feet still used to hurt if I did an unusual amount of walking. I bought the second cheapest insoles my local supermarket had, put them in and the tiny bit of arch support fixed my problem.
I apparently have feet like a duck, wide and flat. Makes buying shoes difficult sometimes and I tend to have better luck with boots.

Oh, almost forgot: the boots I wear to work are rubber heeled M1938 russet service shoes from At The Front.

Dan Peterson
Top Hat Dan

Bought my first quality pair of western boots in Brownsville Texas while stationed at Ft. Puke,Louseyana in 1971...and worn boots ever since.
Some people wear boots better than others. Somehow...I've never had a heel problem. My several pair of 15 yr old(or so)Lucchese are by far the most comfortable on my feet...probably followed by Justin...then some of the Texan customs. However..I can't wear Tony Llama. The high stiff arch is unbearable for my feet.
This may be a good tip for those that have certain shaped..or tender heels,tho.
HD

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I've been wearing a pair of Fryes for about a year now, never felt any discomfort. For what it's worth, I particularly like wearing them on light hikes and for travel.

I do wear insoles in them simply because I have slightly higher than normal arches and the insoles make them a bit more comfortable, but I've never experienced any heel pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo