Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A treasure restored...

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We were issued desert water bags in the early '90's during an exercise in 29 Palms. We were doing mounted recon in stripped down humvees (got snowed on at night, stupid desert) and they worked really well during the day.

Without trying, by the end of the X we looked quite Rat Patrol-ish.

gpwpat

Familiar Face
any of you guys seen jay Leno's conversion of a Buick? I rember seeing a show classic car on speed channel or something where it was one of his first cars before he ever made it big. but he restored it and had all modern running gear installed. even had aluminum wheels made that looked stock. everything was cosmetically hidden so from the exterior and the interior it looked and felt stock. But modern engene, tranny, suspension, brakes, and audio equipment.

man that is what I want.

Twitch

Hey Tony I'll have to look for one of those old burlap dessert water bags. We used to see a lot of them on the cars in the 50-60s when we'd travel. I ought to find one for my Packard. I got the curb feelers, red crown valve caps and the Thermador swamp cooler everyone had in the 50s before A/C was on most cars.:)

carebear

Twitch said:
Hey Tony I'll have to look for one of those old burlap dessert water bags. We used to see a lot of them on the cars in the 50-60s when we'd travel. I ought to find one for my Packard. I got the curb feelers, red crown valve caps and the Thermador swamp cooler everyone had in the 50s before A/C was on most cars.:)

Ames Harris Neville in San Francisco was the company that made the ones we were issued back in the early '90's. They apparently don't make them anymore. I did find some still for sale on eBay by typing "desert water bag".

Try "canvas water bag too". Not sure how you'd purify a "vintage" one, but there are a lot out there. Give it a real old-timey feel.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
1937 Packard

I happend to be in my cobbler/shoerepairer's shop today to get a pair of AE McAllisters stretched from 11C to 11D. Looking good so far ...considering it's a fairly shaped type of shoe. That was good - thanks to those that suggested it was possible - and the cost USD6.99 on the 'bay..... ay chihuahua!

The real suprise was the photo on the wall. Now I am no aficianado of classic cars with the knowledge of those in this string but....mate he has got this awesome 1937 white Packard displayed on the wall. I think his old man owned it and he rehabbed it himself.

Now the shape looked familiar... is this the saloon version of the Faye Dunaway automobile in Chinatown?

I will get the photos of it burned to place on the string soon....for formal recognition.

I could not help big-noting myself with all my new knowledge I have gained on this string and said I wanted a Buick 1949 Roadmaster and offered to lend him my newly bought copy of Mullholland Falls!

Michaelson

One Too Many
gpwpat said:
Getting ready to start a restoration like this myself. My great grandfathers 1937 plymouth pickup is still in the family. It is at my parents and hasn't run for 20 years. But it ran when last parked. so I am hoping it wont be much to get it going again.

It's a Plymouth. It will start. Parts are plentiful, and if it's a flat head 6 (which more than likely it is), there are PILES of engines laying around, and tons of information available and support to get the old girl running again.

For example: http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/index.php?

This site is mainly 46-50's, but they'll talk about ANY MOPAR models you want, and there's a TON of technical information there as well!

That's the good thing about the old MOPARS....they haven't garnished the attention of collectors and drivers like GM and Ford, so they're easy to find and fix. That's the GOOD news...the bad news.....well....they haven't garnished the attention of vendors and reproduction parts makers like GM and Ford products have.

For a window gasket for a GM product, you'll pay around $80. For a MOPAR (if you can find the correct model configuration), double to triple the cost. Supply and demand drive those folks, so prepare for sticker shock when it comes to body restoration like door molding and window gaskets. Otherwise, the skies the limit.

I'm still driving my 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe, and she's still turning heads.

Regards! Michaelson

undertaker

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn