Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Walk in the Clouds (a beauty of a wee Fedora flick with Keanu Reeves)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
First time I saw this movie set in 1945/46, with a man returning from the war who meets a girl...etc, Her family live in the US, but are of Italian stock and run a vineyard, he pretends to be married to her for convenience, due to her (i think) being pregnant, and they eventually grow to really love each other, I just loved it.

If you ever see it, the scene of the two of them waving the wings like angels together to fan the fires which keep the frost off the grapes..is JUST BEAUTIFUL.

Some clever person has put these clips of it together with the appropriate smoochy music...ENJOY !!

WALK IN THE CLOUDS (CLICK HERE)

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Actually, the family who own the vineyard in this movie is of Mexican decent. I actually own a prop from this movie; while at a store in Disneyworld's MGM studios I found one of the letters Paul (Reeves) writes to his wife (Debra Messing of Will and Grace). He writes her a letter every day for the years he is at war, so she ends up with a huge trunk full of them. I bought one and it now hangs on my wall in a frame. I managed to open the envelope without damaging it, the only part I remember is he mentions wanting to see her "gorgeous gams" again! ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How interesting...I would've thought the prop letters would've just been envelopes with handwritten addresses with maybe a folded blank sheet inside. Now one has to wonder who sat down and wrote all those letters? And nifty that they used the period vernacular as well.

And myself...when Messing opened the trunk (which if you haven't seen the movie, is STUFFED with shoeboxes of letters) I had to think, "Hmmm, someone's got several boyfriends writing her from the war zone." ;) Keanu Reeves does a little bit of a double-take upon seeing them as well - assumedly thinking the same thing.

If you haven't seen it - it's a pretty good "hat" movie, nice wardrobes for everyone, and a good movie to boot. Dare I say Keanu's best work?

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Maybe when my camera batteries charge I will take a pic, but for now I will describe the letter the best I can. It came with a letter from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts that guarantees the authenticity. I kept the tag too, the store's name was Sid Cahuenga's Hollywood One of a Kind Memorabilia and Curios. It cost me $35.00 The "letter" is written on paper that folds itself into an envelope. The front is printed with AIR-MAIL, has no stamp, but has the cancel mark where the stamp would be. "Written" (actually printed for convenience on the maker's part, I'm sure) in blue ink is the return address :Sgt. Paul Sutten
Company B 2nd Platoon
7th Infantry
APO 925 ?? Postmaster
San Fransisco, California

In the address lines it says:
Betty Sutton
1215 Grant Ave Apt C
San Francisco 33, California.

The back of the envelope some sort of printed "seal" with an eagle.

The inside has little instruction boxes talking about what is allowed to be enclosed, etc. United States Army is also printed on one edge.

The body of the letter is the same printed handwriting, and says:
My Dearest Betty,
This morning I awoke with your name on my lips and a picture of you in my heart. Each day we are apart is torture and joy, torture because you are not in my arms. Joy because it is one less day to wait to see you and caress you once again as I did the few beautiful moments we had together in San Fransisco when we said I do. I'll never forget the day we met the wonderful smile you were wearing, and those gorgeous gams.
As the bombs explode around my fox hole I fight on and on with my good friend at my side protecting me and I them, but it is still impossible not to think about you, but having to put my thoughts away I write...Adeiu My Love
Forever Yours,
Paul

Awwwwww.....;)

I haven't seen all of his movies, but I do have to say this one is my favorite. The character of Paul makes me swoon.... Aw man, now I want to go watch it again for the millionth time.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In my mind, that must be one of Reeve's finest movies.

It's a little movie with a big heart and Keanu (I'm not a major fan of his usually) suits the part so well.

I love the Fedora and braces look, but it left me wanting to one day try out something as romantic as using the angel wings to fan the flames, that's just such a beautiful image.

Anyone out there, if you have the chance to see it, then go for it, and the 40's clothes are worth it!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
After seeing Reeves in period getup, I thought he ought to be the lead in the long overdue Artie Shaw bio-pic.
5awalkinthec.jpg
shaw200.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow Fletch, you nailed that one.

Nice one! you should suggest it to Keanu next time you have him around for a drink! I really like that suggestion.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I love this movie and I just watched it again the other day. I adore the mom's hair, and Victoria's outfit while on the bus.. the burgandy dress with yoyo trim and matching hat, coat, ect...
And I keep thinking... did they ruin the dress she just stomped grapes in? LOL!
Vargas that is so neat you have that letter. I'm also amazed that they went to the trouble of actually writing all of those letters! Maybe just the ones on top, ect??

Nikki

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why Paddy, you old romantic . . .

Under those cool flight leathers and air of WW2 derring-do beats the heart of a genuine romantic.

Part of me wants to succumb to the romance in this movie, another part feels it's a tad too sappy; I guess my own (awful) experiences with a woman from a foreign culture cloud my view of the movie to a great extent. A sweet story witha happy ending; definitely a movie well worth watching.

Great find VargasGirl.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw this movie over the weekend after a recommendation and I liked it so much I watched it twice.

I'm another one who doesn't usually care for Keanu Reeves but I thought he was really lovely as Paul. I liked it that I felt so much for his character--his orphaned background, that he has so much love and his war bride was so oblivious, that he was so honorable. I was really rooting for him to find someone who would appreciate all he had to give. The actress who played Victoria was wonderful too--in fact I thought the whole cast was great. The cinematography and costumes were exceptional as well. Wonderful romantic, sentimental movie--in the best senses of those words.

Very neat that you have the letter too Vargas--I'd love to see a picture if you can ever post one.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I remember when that first came out. There was a group of us that wanted to go out to the movies but couldn't decide what to see. It boiled down to A Walk in the Clouds of Seven. Needles to say the testosterone won out that night and we saw Seven. We had talked the girls into it since we didn't know anything about it and said that Brad Pitt was in it, that was all that was needed to go there. We all came out after that flick very disturbed and wishing we had watched A Walk in the Clouds. It's amazing how a movie can sear an evening into your mind.
I had later seen A Walk in the Clouds and had thoroughly enjoyed it. There is something about Anthony Quinn that brings a little something something to a film, even a sleeper like this one.
024543041146_z_walkiccu.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred