Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A week of trains, the Tacoma NRHS convention, 2011...

p51

One Too Many
The National Railway Historical Society's national covention is in Tacoma this year, last month. I started out by chasing one steam trip and rode the following day behind 1941 Lima locomotive, former Southern Pacific 4449. I scored a seat in the observation car from Vancouver, WA to Tacoma, which was an amazing ride! Enjoy the photos!
This guy is a professional train videographer. No, I'm not kidding!
Marcam.jpg

Train to Ruth, WA along the Chehalis River:
curve.jpg

4449 crossing the Columbia River before boarding:
NRHSday2016.jpg

View from the dome at about 60 MPH
NRHSday2036.jpg

After arriving in Tacoma:
NRHSday2060.jpg

My digs for the trip:
NRHSday2062.jpg

From the rain-soaked trip to the Mt Rainier Scenic. I'm glad I didn't pay to ride this one as it must have been a miserable ride with the weather as it was. The run was going so slow, I was able to outrun the train on foot for a different camera position on a birdge!
Along the farms en route:
RainierNRHS066.jpg

My first glimpse of train, pulled by the sole running Willamette geared engine on earth:
RainierNRHS025.jpg

RainierNRHS034.jpg

At the Rainier shops, one of several engines being overhauled:
RainierNRHS115.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
This shows you what the weather was mostly like as well as where it was taken:
RainierNRHS108.jpg

I rode a dome car up Stampede Pass behind 4449 two days later:
My digs:
Stampede073.jpg

Stampede017.jpg

Stampede061.jpg

Stampede055.jpg

Stampede074.jpg

Stampede090.jpg

Stampede095.jpg

Final installment below!

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
I have uploaded two videos of the ferry run of 4449 southbound from the final day. I didn't ride this trip because I'd already ridden 4449 twice by then and I had to deal with something else later that day I didn't wanna miss. My timing was amazing as I got to each location with just enough time to get set up, but due to the speed of the train I could only catch it twice and was darned lucky to catch it more than once at all. I threw my older digital camera onto the tripod while I was taking stills with my newer one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjhyF0hj3E0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8G4M7A6CaA
Got some decent photos at the same time as well.
Tenino:
4449south028.jpg

Chehalis, behind the fairgrounds:
4449south038.jpg

And passing a Cascades train that must have really surprised the passengers:
4449south049.jpg

And with that, the convention rolled into history. After a week of chasing trains, it was quite the letdown to go back to the house and continue with life as normal... Still, I'm sure that afternoon was the best ever for the people who'd put it on, now that it was behind them!

Last edited:

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I remember when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis; my buddies and I would stash beer up in the snow at Mt. Rainier, just so we would have cold beer waiting for us when we went on a road trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters