Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southern Pacific GS-4 # 4449: The largest Art Deco object in motion today?

p51

One Too Many
I went down to Portland over the weekend to watch my second favorite steam engine running, Southern Pacific 4449. A couple of years ago, she was repainted in her original 1941 paint job.
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/57889/ppuser/4329
Here's a shot of Doyle McCormack, the guy who restored her for the Freedom Train in the 70s and still runs here today:
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/57890/ppuser/4329
If you've ever seen the great film, "Tough Guys," he's the guy who says to Kirk Douglas, "You're crazy, nobody robs trains anymore," just before Burt Lancaster puts a revolver to his head! :eusa_clap
More train photos of this and other engines can be seen here:
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showgallery.php/ppuser/4329/cat/500
Last year, 4449 was coupled to the front of Union Pacific #844 (both about in the same size/power class) for a run from Portland to Tacoma. They passed through Chehalis, WA (very near where I live) for a servicing stop about 4 hours late, and just as the skies clouded over.
4449and844Chehalis1.jpg

4449and844Chehalis2.jpg

4449and844Centralia.jpg

Northbound.jpg

Also, here are some shots from the National Railway Historical Society's annual convention in Portland, Oregon in 2005. One trip involved 4449 and former Spokane, Portland and Seattle #700. http://www.sps700.org/ The main trip went from Portland, Oregon to Wishram, Washington, along the Columbia river basin.
WishramSitting.jpg

WishramObs.jpg

4449Tunnel.jpg

4449VancCurve.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Daylight and Lark

I had a Californian pal who rode the Daylight from San Francisco to LA back in the day many times. He also rode the Lark, the identical grey liveried sleeper that ran the same route at night. He described them as heaven on rails.
Now that ship . . . holy schmoley! Yes! They must be saved!

Way back when these trains were actually working the passenger with mail routes and the various Railroad Companies were in real competition for the pasenger trade. The trains were fully part of the competitive nature and were akin to going on an ocean liner. The decor and detail was fantastic and the dining was top notch. To travel on one of the named trains like the 20th Century limited or the Super Chief was both glamorous and in first class luxurious. The trips were noted for their views of nature, especially out west.

It is one of those things, that if I could afford to I'd love to take a trip like that. (The Copper Canyon trip down Mexico way, is called the Sierra Madre Express, and is supposed to be wonderful.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Back in the heyday of rail, service on the "High varnish" lines, like the Daylight, the 20 Century, The Broadway Limited or the Phoebe Snow was unsurpassed. Unfortunately, there were also plenty of "milk run" lines where the service was horrendous. My grandmother, who use to ride the DL&W (Delaware, Lackawanna and Western) back around 1900, said the the joke was that DL&W stood for "Delay, Linger and Wait".

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
These locos were considered only "semi" streamlines. They still left the front of the boier exposed, and a lot of other doo dads. But to me they're just gorgeous. A more fully streamlined loco would be the Burlington Northern Hiawatha or the New York Central Hudsons that pulled the 20th Century Limited. But they ain't around no more. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran