Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texas & Pacific Lofts - living in an Art Deco train station

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Great news - the other half of the old Texas & Pacific complex, the neighboring Texas & Pacific Warehouse that has been vacant for so long, is getting redeveloped into 260 apartments and ground-floor retail. This is a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE building, nearly 750 feet long, and getting it redeveloped is a big deal for the redeveloping Lancaster Avenue.

A few pics (it's hard to get the whole thing in one shot):

835103266_ad0233a2b1.jpg

179255381_ff6e03fd8d.jpg

179254399_13e7ba1152.jpg

179253251_acfda291bf.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
That is GREAT news! It's been so sad and broken-looking as long as I can remember.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lovely buildings...

...I just wish the developers would sympathetically extend touches of the Art Deco into the actual new apartments, to reflect the whole building. Those shots from the beginning of the thread just look so clinical to me and impersonal (I appreciate that that might be a show room) and needs to be humanized rather than sanotized.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Atomic: It's great having you as the local FL reporter in the DFW area. You know your stuff. Those darned interiors could be swapped for any condo being built in the entire country. Brooklyn is full of them. But it's cool to see other parts of the country trying to simulate the formula that has worked for Brooklyn, and other urban areas of the same vintage. The 3 to 4 story urban profile is just wonderfully livable.
The problem with Deco interiors is that they're a lot trickier to achieve than it would seem, I think. Lots of bland designs are foisted under the name of Deco, that have no "Deco-ness" to tham at all. For one thing, it uses a lot of wood, if only in veneers. For another, it's built on old technologies that are hard to retrofit, like dial phones. The Williamsburg Savings Bank Building, the largest building on Long Island at 43 stories (and about a block from where I live), is being converted to condos. I'll post some pix when I get a chance. I'll bet the units look just all the rest. But there are great opportunities there.
Thanks for the great pix! Sounds like a lot of FLers are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters