Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 Back Length

pak

One of the Regulars
Posture will have a significant impact on the on where the back will lay.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
This is 25.5 and the shortest I'll go when I go there. My sweet spot is around 26.5" though I'll wear 27.5" (but it creates a casual look). The tradeoff for me is that shorter A-2s can often look more stylish, while I feel more comfortable/confident/natural with longer jackets than ideal, even though they may approach an untidy look visually. I've grown to prefer the loose and long "Harrison Ford" fit rather than the ideal short/slim fit. Idk why really.

View attachment 36712

Agreed. I personally feel that shorter A2s look more stylish and longer ones look a little sloppy, even if they are more comfortable.

I think that first jacket looks much better, but I think a LOT of people will like the second one you posted more.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the shorter length A-2 camp myself...just never comfortable with the longer jacket (don't know why). Mind, I quite like a regular length WEP & they are SHORT :)

willyto

One Too Many
Rabbit I really like your style. Which pants are those? Digging the vintage look with shirt, tie, high waist trousers and A2.

I think I'm one of those that prefer them a bit shorter. I have an Aero A-1 and I think it's quite short and the fit is tight. Being my first leather jacket I think I was lucky to nail the fit with the 42 from a member here.

yTfdpmx.jpg

That's the only picture I have for now.

I've had long and short and I just got a Good Wear Perry A-2 that is shorter than my usual fair. I like it as I don't sit on it while driving or going to a movie, etc.
Seems to me, a flying jacket would likely be more comfortable this way, but the pics are all over the place, so wear what you like!
Honestly, everyone here and elsewhere has an opinion, and what does it matter?

Banzai

Familiar Face
When I bought my custom A2, I sized it so the leather portion ended at my natural waist, right around the bellybutton/top of pelvis. That put the knits just over my belt with my Levis.

Maybe that's not correct, but it seems to look ok, at least according to you guys.

I'm 5'6", and the back length on mine ended up being 23", including the knits.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
When I bought my custom A2, I sized it so the leather portion ended at my natural waist, right around the bellybutton/top of pelvis. That put the knits just over my belt with my Levis.

Maybe that's not correct, but it seems to look ok, at least according to you guys.

I'm 5'6", and the back length on mine ended up being 23", including the knits.

This is how mine fits and what I think is the perfect fit for me. The knits just cover my belt. I am 5'7" and my jacket is about 23.7 in the back.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If I buy an A2 (I still can't decide), I'm thinking 26.5 inches. HD is my height and looks great in a 26 - I know everyone has different proportions, yadda, yadda... 26.5 is what Shaul at US Authentic recommends for me. I'm 6'2", 185 pounds. I have a Raider (the one with knits) from G&B which is 27.5 inches long and it looks pretty good but I don't mind going a little shorter.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
If I buy an A2 (I still can't decide), I'm thinking 26.5 inches. HD is my height and looks great in a 26 - I know everyone has different proportions, yadda, yadda... 26.5 is what Shaul at US Authentic recommends for me. I'm 6'2", 185 pounds. I have a Raider (the one with knits) from G&B which is 27.5 inches long and it looks pretty good but I don't mind going a little shorter.

At 6'2", 26" or 26.5" sounds about right. On the slightly shorter side (in a good way), but not above the belt at all.

Dav

One Too Many
I'm 6'1" and went for 26.5 back length with this one

which for me feels just right with a modernish cut jean.
Whereas this one is 25.5, which to me feels a bit too short even with a higher cut jean.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As we say down here, that's a ripper that top one. Great looking hide and jacket Dav. You have some of the best gear on this site IMO and certainly the greatest doorway.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've had long and short and I just got a Good Wear Perry A-2 that is shorter than my usual fair. I like it as I don't sit on it while driving or going to a movie, etc.
Seems to me, a flying jacket would likely be more comfortable this way, but the pics are all over the place, so wear what you like!
Honestly, everyone here and elsewhere has an opinion, and what does it matter?

I was watching Storage Hunters (don't judge me, it's my guilty pleasure) and one of the items found was a pristine original A-2. They took it to a militaria expert who identified it as having belonged to a fighter pilot, rather than bomber crew, because it was short. I thought this was an interesting perspective, no idea if it's right but it certainly helps to explain the variation in lengths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner