Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 Jacket..Steerhide or Horsehide...??

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
I am just about to order a new A2 but getting a wee bit confused on steerhide and horsehide. Are they the same or not??? In particular I am looking at the ELC Pearl Harbor 'Time Worn' which is in steerhide and an Aero 'Real Deal' in horsehide. Now one says steerhides were never used in the old days and the other manufacturer says differently.

I know what will happen, I will end up ordering two jackets from the respective manufacturers and take it from there !

Would be grateful for any hardcore info on the hides ! Cheers !!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Go with horse.

Run with the horsehide, as per the original Govt. Specs in 1931 (I have a copy of the original memo, but it's saved somewhere on my computer). Many would argue that during the war, steerhide was used too due to shortages, and that may be so (and of course, Goat was used). But treat yourself to some authentic horse. ELC PH, or ALC RD..? Go with the Real Deal, IMHO.

falcodriver

New in Town
DiabolicalAngel said:
I am just about to order a new A2 but getting a wee bit confused on steerhide and horsehide. Are they the same or not??? In particular I am looking at the ELC Pearl Harbor 'Time Worn' which is in steerhide and an Aero 'Real Deal' in horsehide. Now one says steerhides were never used in the old days and the other manufacturer says differently.

I know what will happen, I will end up ordering two jackets from the respective manufacturers and take it from there !

Would be grateful for any hardcore info on the hides ! Cheers !!

You can get a ton of information on just these questions on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum (VLJ III) . It would be worth you going over there and taking a look....BTW, Horse is a horse, and steerhide is a male "cow', or started life that way, in other words, snip,snip!

Hacker

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
falcodriver said:
You can get a ton of information on just these questions on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum (VLJ III) . It would be worth you going over there and taking a look....

I tried joining VLJ III just under a fortnight ago, and my account has yet to be validated (I just checked). I'm sure it's a terribly useful resource, but information's no good if you can't even read it without a login.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you haven't already done so, there's lots of good info to read over at Acme Depot:

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

With the caveat that most of the material there about the repro makers is now a bit out of date, and reflects some degree of bias. But it's still extremely useful info when you're ramping up on this subject.

You should definitely go with horse or goat for your first good repro A-2 - steehide jackets can be very nice and are often a good deal cheaper than the other hides, but steer/cow was never an approved leather for the A-2... if that's important to you!

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Yeah, thanks for that Falco, had a brain fade there on the cow and horse ! ( pushing my tongue into my bottom lip now!)

I guess you are right Paddy, Aero are the nutz ! Leaning slightly over to their Natural Vintage Horsehide, that will do it's round in the local laundrette with a few bricks thrown in late at night with nobody about! If I tried that at home the missus would kill me !!

I joined up VLJ with no probs at all, got validated within the hour, a wealth of info there. I'll have all day at work tomorrow to browse through that.

-Doc- I have just got back into the A2 jackets after unearthing two from Aero which I had purchased in the 80's, one as shown on my avatar - I havent a clue what the materials are and will be sending them up to Aero to have new zippers put on although my son has hijacked the other which is a 'Flying Tigers' theme and he loves it to bits !

Thanks for input here guys, really appreciate it !

Cheers !!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I tried joining VLJ III just under a fortnight ago, and my account has yet to be validated (I just checked). I'm sure it's a terribly useful resource, but information's no good if you can't even read it without a login.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, bfrench got in touch with me after reading my post and we've now sorted out what the trouble was. My registration's in, and I look forward to learning a great deal. Thanks Bill! :cheers1:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Horse..good decision...

untitled203.jpg

So, is it the REAL DEAL you are thinking of from Aero?
They are pretty awesome jackets for the money, having seen them after a few years of wear, they look excellent. Also, have a check on their SALES page too, as if you are lucky in sizing, you might just strike lucky.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hey thanks for that Paddy! Amazing piece of documentation there !

Gonna pick up a used Buzz Rickson Werber jacket tomorrow in 'worn' horsehide, so that saves me waiting for a ELC 'time worn' in steerhide, they quoted delivery mid May and the Buzz is roughly about the same price !

Aero wise, been trying to get hold of Will today to place my order for an A2 in vintage horsehide, seal / rust cuffs, guess they are busy on a Friday. Well it will have to wait until next week and it gives me a chance to chase up a little A2 I am having made for my nephew by them.

Cheers !:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy