Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 type without epauletts?

guitone

Familiar Face
That's the one I am thinking of. I will have to try their A2 for it, the upcharge is $100 for custom, not matter what the specs are, and if I want horsehide another $100. How do most feel about goat vs. horse?

Thanks

guitone

Familiar Face
KC, thanks...I think I will have them send in a goat to look at in my size, then if I want to add hand warmers and no epauletts it should be pretty easy. I don't know, I have never liked epauletts, never. But I do like the fact that they use wool instead of nylon on the sleeves and waist and that they use a cotten liner. I think they make two colors in the goat, seems to me the dark brown would be nice.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Goatskin is actually a tougher and more long-lasting hide than horse, I believe. According to Nelson and Parsons' 'Hell bent for leather' (not the most accurate of jacket books, but I think I believe them on this), horse rates fifth on the durability scale, goat rates second. Only kangaroo skin, which is very stiff and inflexible (unlike goat) rates higher. That's why the US Navy, who had less to cater for and thus more bucks to spend, and could afford better specs and materials for the G-1, went for goat. I think most collectors will tell you that long-term, goat stands up a lot better to the ravages of time than horse-hopefully you'll be able to wear your jacket long enough to see the benefits of that!

MB17

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of the Goat...

... and no epaulettes- my long awaited early '40s USN M-422a flight jacket arrived safely today after 8 months of world travel in the evil clutches of ParcelForce UK. It's in bril condition and it fits perfect. Some of the old USN flight jackets are a little on the small side but this size 42 is spot-on for me.
It's made by 'Edmund T. Church Co.'. The Goatskin needs a conditioning after being squashed up for so long- need to get it moistened up a bit and shape it out- get the wrinkles out. The mouton collar is in mint condition and the knit parts are good enough- but could take replacing in a few years- plenty of original knit around for thes jackets.
One of the better vintage jackets I've had and a perfect wearer.
And only $300... which was nice...

And re: Goatskin- I'm not sure about the more modern offerings but the dubyadubyatoo goat is quite thin- thinner than you'd imagine and very supple and easy to live with- supple yet crisp. And it is very resistant to age, drying and abrasion- compared to horse at least.

Tokyo Joe
B
T

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Ah, so it finally appeared! Good to hear it was worth the wait. If there's one thing I really must get it's a WWII navy jacket. $300? Good deal!

MB17

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
With the current state of the MB17 piggy bank, forget it. But one of these days, deffo. Rather have one of those than pay £500 plus for a moth-eaten A-2 I wouldn't dare wear.

MB17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats