Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aaargh! Buttons not properly applied....again

Scottish Steve

New in Town
Hi all
I've spent the last few days going through Suzhou, in Eastern China (where I live and work at the moment), to get myself an acceptable sports jacket. I eventually bought a navy one by Giovanni Bellini in soft, thick, closely woven 100% new wool, with a tourquoise and purple "tweedy underthread", which was size 170/96 with 3 buttons, skinny lapels and centre vent. All the other jackets in the whole of this city were obviously too narrow across the shoulders, but this one sat very well and the length and width is perfect.....but when I wore it for a minutes around the house it rode up and revealed a small but telling ripple at the top of my shoulders. It's not too bad and to be honest, I doubt many people would notice, but I'm hoping it'll rain good and hard soon, so I can give it a natural drenching and stretch it out a tiny bit- 1/2" should do it.
Anyway, within this time, one of the buttons fell off and I've just finished re-applying the top two. I cut off the bottom one as I've been told by several different people who wear suits a lot never to fasten the bottom button on a jacket or waistcoat and thought this would be a nod to this convention.
So it hit me while i was trying to thread a needle, that I've had to re-apply the buttons on every single jacket I've ever owned, even having to re-align them on Harris Tweed jackets which were not cheap items. Is this the scourge of a perfectionist? Does everyone else find this need too?

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I regularly sew the buttons back onto my waistcoats and some of my jackets. But then I buy a lot of my stuff second-hand, so it's kind of necessary. But sometimes, the factory-sewing just isn't good enough and you need that extra security.

So no, you're not alone.

MikePotts

Practically Family
While not fastening the lowest button is indeed the convention, I think it should actually BE there if there's a buttonhole to match.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
While not fastening the lowest button is indeed the convention, I think it should actually BE there if there's a buttonhole to match.
Ditto.

Buttons fall off of even the best made jackets. Here's a tip for sewing them back on.

Scottish Steve

New in Town
I shall sew it back on forthwith sir!
On an additional note, do you have any tips for recognising whether a jacket is canvassed or fused? I've noticed my new purchase has a strange feeling to it when worn, like there are two distinct layers to the construction and occasionally there are little ripples underneath the fabric, which disappear when I move. The only other jacket I've owned that felt like this is a Supasax one (can't remember the brand), which has horsehair linings and cost $550 new.

Scottish Steve

New in Town
I had a disgusting experience in Burberry on this very topic. I tried on a pea coat for which they wanted $1,200 and on which there was about 5 threads holding on each button. I could not believe it. I also looked at some Canali sports jackets- they wanted $2,200 for an unlined jacket the fabric of which was so thin you could almost spit through it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
any tips for recognising whether a jacket is canvassed or fused?
Here's a great read on the subject.

I also looked at some Canali sports jackets- they wanted $2,200 for an unlined jacket the fabric of which was so thin you could almost spit through it.
Sounds like a great jacket for summer. Seriously, nothing at all wrong with an unlined (termed quarter lined) jacket as it is used by many top makers and bespoke tailors......and lightweight breathable fabric is a godsend in warmer climes.

Scottish Steve

New in Town
Here's a great read on the subject.

Sounds like a great jacket for summer. Seriously, nothing at all wrong with an unlined (termed quarter lined) jacket as it is used by many top makers and bespoke tailors......and lightweight breathable fabric is a godsend in warmer climes.

Yes, in linen, or a very finely-woven worsted wool. Even a good cotton or hemp duck. I do not have much experience of very expensive clothes made for a warm climate (I'm from Scotland) but this didn't feel like it would last long.

dnjan

One Too Many
Great tip! I bet it threads easier as well, for those of us who forget to grab the reading glasses before sitting down to sew on a button!

HeyMoe

Practically Family
When buttons fall off my shirt I sew them back on with dental floss. I sew for a hobby and have made shirts and jackets that I used dental floss on. Twice vertically, twice horizontally, and a few spins around a toothpick-width shank between the button and fabric, is all you need. Dental floss never breaks. If you're making something that will touch your skin, it will be scratchy. Unfortunately, dental floss is only available in white. But the cinnamon and mint flavors come in handy: They have a slight anesthetic effect if you stab your finger with a needle. :D

Update: I'm not the only one: http://www.google.com/search?q=sew+buttons+dental+floss

I do also. This is something that my mother taught me long ago :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo