Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AAF Shoulder Decal. To apply a meatball or not?

Edward

Bartender
Interesting thread. Mixed opinions myself. If it was my only A2, or at least an only brown leather jacket, I'd stick with the plain look, as there might be a lot of scenarios where I wouldn't want to wear a jacket with any decals (IMO, it can look a bit casual, and it's not every time you go out you'll want to answer folks' questions about any marks on the jacket either). That aside, if you're going to wear an A2, it's an option. Both my A2s are have them. It wasn't a choice exactly, as I bought the jackets used. The ELC is horse and has the decal as the only marking, while the Aero is goat, and also has a 77th Fighter Squadron patch. I like it on them.... TBH, when I especially like it is hanging on the rail, alongside my B15-C and B15-C Mod, the row of AAF & USAF decals. I don't think I'd put it on a jacket that definitely wouldn't have had it originally, though. Both my jackets are 1942 patterns, so it's correct in that sense.

Stand By

One Too Many
Well off topic, but as some are talking old kits. Here is a pic of the very first model I made with the help of Dad. What really attracted me to this model was the box artwork. OK it's historically wrong, flack and fighters together? But what 7 year old could not resist this. The Revell kit was the Memphis Belle with an opening bomb bay but the box art was not as good.
All the turrets rotated and the wheels went up and down. When my own son took an interest in my old jackets, I took him to a few of the bases and gave him a brief history of the old bases, then I built the same model with him. Slightly spoilt by the more politically correct box art.

Airfix585B-17GBOL_zps68a791ac.jpg

161752-12155_zps54dbf501.jpg

John

Oh yes, that's a classic cover (and one I have out here in Canada on my desk as a coaster! Really).
That's the beautiful work of Mr. Roy Cross. (and you're a Red Stripe guy, eh? I'm more Type 3 era, which is '72 - '79. My very first kit was a 1973 issue when I was 6). Roy painted a great many of the box artworks - and was my first idol in the field of aviation art. Those covers just grabbed my imagination (as they were supposed to do. Flak and fighters. I never noticed! I just saw the chaos of war) - and the works are superbly composed and rendered.
You may be interested to get a compilation book on his work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Vintage-Years-Airfix-Box/dp/1847970761/ref=pd_vtp_b_1#_

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celebration...UTF8&qid=1369166754&sr=8-2&keywords=roy+cross

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred