Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AAF Shoulder Decal. To apply a meatball or not?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got the 'Art of the Flight Jacket' as a present, wow that's some book.:D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Anyone want a free copy of "American Flight Jackets"?
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=295

I'd prefer to give it to someone who will draw artistic inspiration from it. It's sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Also, I will throw in "hell bent for leather".

I've read both books cover to cover so at this point they're reference books ill probably never reference. PM me. First taker gets them. Free shipping. Free Free Free.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Just got the 'Art of the Flight Jacket' as a present, wow that's some book.:D

It certainly is and I'd love another like it - and you raise a good point (thank you) - have begun a new thread on reference books.
Hopefully I can obtain something else as inspiring as that one....

nick123

I'll Lock Up
No problem. Its good to spread those books around IMO.If those books had been tossed around like the Communist Manifesto, the world would be a better place. Btw I hate the notion of karma.

Stand By

One Too Many
No problem. Its good to spread those books around IMO.If those books had been tossed around like the Communist Manifesto, the world would be a better place. Btw I hate the notion of karma.

Regardless, I will pay it forward. I'm heading over to my local model shop on Saturday (I've been building model kits since I was 6) and it's another passion of mine. I'm on a hiatus right now due to workbench difficulties in the house but I still love the hobby and feel the passion to build, and (since seeing a letter in Fine Scale Modeller magazine) I'd been thinking of going over there and putting together a box of a new kit and model supplies for the US forces in Afghanistan or the Wounded Warrior Program ... you've sealed that deal with your generosity. Thank you !

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Regardless, I will pay it forward. I'm heading over to my local model shop on Saturday (I've been building model kits since I was 6) and it's another passion of mine. I'm on a hiatus right now due to workbench difficulties in the house but I still love the hobby and feel the passion to build, and (since seeing a letter in Fine Scale Modeller magazine) I'd been thinking of going over there and putting together a box of a new kit and model supplies for the US forces in Afghanistan or the Wounded Warrior Program ... you've sealed that deal with your generosity. Thank you !

I love models. Used to read FSM all the time. The guys in that magazine are something else. How anyone can build such things is beyond me. I usually just ended up with a messy floor and a migraine. Do post some of your work when you get a chance.

Stand By

One Too Many
I love models. Used to read FSM all the time. The guys in that magazine are something else. How anyone can build such things is beyond me. I usually just ended up with a messy floor and a migraine. Do post some of your work when you get a chance.

Ha!Ha! That's funny.
It was Nick123's comment that made me think of mentioning that - as it's like I always say: If everyone built models, the world would be such a better place.

I credit that hobby as being what ultimately made me the medical artist I am today.
And yes, just when I think my models are good, I look in FSM and see the work in there ... and it's a whole other level of detail. Incredible. Sheer perfection. And they're fast too! They do in 25 hours what would take me months!
And will do ... thanks!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Ha!Ha! That's funny.
It was Nick123's comment that made me think of mentioning that - as it's like I always say: If everyone built models, the world would be such a better place.

I credit that hobby as being what ultimately made me the medical artist I am today.
And yes, just when I think my models are good, I look in FSM and see the work in there ... and it's a whole other level of detail. Incredible. Sheer perfection. And they're fast too! They do in 25 hours what would take me months!
And will do ... thanks!

My A-4 Skyhawk is on hold until I receive my variant-correct photo etched seat harnesses from Japan. Just kidding.

Stand By

One Too Many
My A-4 Skyhawk is on hold until I receive my variant-correct photo etched seat harnesses from Japan. Just kidding.

Photo-Etched parts. Jesus Christ! Have you SEEN those ?! Well, maybe with a magnifier. It's like working with frickin' HAIR ! It's anathema to me how anyone works with them. And how are they even made ?! And some are pre-painted to mind-boggling detail. How'd they DO that ?!
P.E. parts in a word: Advil

American Flight Jackets, found an extra copy years ago that I gave away to a friend. And building models, I used to build with my Dad for private collectors and have many in cases at the Cockpit Shop in NYC (Avirex) if they are still there. Many years ago when I was a teenager, and I credit that hobby with what i do today making patches, nose art, etc.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Photo-Etched parts. Jesus Christ! Have you SEEN those ?! Well, maybe with a magnifier. It's like working with frickin' HAIR ! It's anathema to me how anyone works with them. And how are they even made ?! And some are pre-painted to mind-boggling detail. How'd they DO that ?!
P.E. parts in a word: Advil

I wouldn't even know where to start.

Stand By

One Too Many
And just before this thread runs completely off topic, I've just had a really nice reply from the chap who runs the US Wounded Warrior program - and all kits are gratefully received. He (Dick Montgomery) can be contacted at dmontgomery8327@sbcglobal.net if anyone wishes to help them too. I'll be picking out a kit or two this weekend.
Thanks.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Lol.
I can't tell you how many models I've literally thrown at the wall after giving up on.
What an intimidating hobby. You just can't, repeat, can't compare your work to the built pictures on the box. If you are inexperienced (like I am) and think you're going to get anywhere near the pictures, you're wrong!
But I wish I grew up with someone to actually teach me the craft. When I was in Southern California I walked into a hobby store and there were people (all ages) going to work on a squadron of B-25s.
Apparently the AMC movie theater commissioned them to build hanging models at the time of release of the movie Pearl Harbor.

devilish

A-List Customer
So, after a little research, it seems unlikely that a '41 contract jacket would have had a shoulder decal. So for now it will remain plain. Thanks for all the input though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn