Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AB arrives - 16 year quest ENDS

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Yes - Steve Delk delivered. After that first fedora plopped on my head in the summer of 1989, the search for the Raiders fedora ended this afternoon. It's been quite the adventure and for those of you who've been on it with me all these years and listened to me rant (MK, Sergei, Michaelson, Fedora, you know who you are) I can only say that it was worth all the wait and frustration.

This being the ninth and final Indy fedora, it is funny that even with the obvious quality out of the box, the human brain does not immediately like change. After three long years with the Akubra Federation, I don't think my mind was prepared and when first placed on my head, my mind said, "Wait a sec...This isn't right....Or is it?"

In went the Raiders DVD, pause went the remote, shot by shot. The AB matched up perfectly, the Akubra did not. So I went back to the mirror with the AB on and stared at it for a good twenty minutes when I should have been doing work on my thesis. The brim had pancacked slightly in shipment so the hands went to work and soon the hat started to take on its Cairo self again.

The workmanship is unlike anything I have ever experienced with a hat before. As a veteran of the Dorfman and the Stetson, an outright victim of the Peters Bros., and a die-hard fan of the Akubra, my eyes are a little more trained and paranoid than they probably should be.

I kept telling myself how weathered my Akubra was, and how this hat would eventually take on the same look, only 100% better. See, I WEAR my hats in all conditions, everywhere, so this probably won't take long. Needless to say, this hat is the one to beat. A little more coaxing of the brim and a few good bouts with the elements and this will easily be the perfect Raiders fedora - hands down.

The picture I took for this post isn't the best and doesn't give a good idea of what I am talking about, but I plan to get some better pictures as soon as my camera battery recharges and the weather is agreeable.

It's really poetic justice that it finally took an Indy fan to recreate the Raiders fedora - and it's even more poetic that for many veteran Indy fans like myself, their quest will end at the hands of this other Indy fan.

Steve, it's been a long road since the Indyfan days and I know the road before that was even longer. Thank you so very much for everything you have done, all the money you have invested, the time, and the energy. This really is a quest come to an end.

With all sincerity,
Michael French

abilt.JPG

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Glad to see you finally have the hat you've always wanted. I remember the quest for the perfect Indy hat very well. Herbert Johnson to Stetson to Gary White (to some other ones I don't want to talk about) to Optimo. Money kept coming out of my pocket throughout the search, though my thirst for the Indy look has been usurped by the want of a look of my own. Congratulations and wear the hat on all your adventures.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Michael -- Who is Steve Delk and where can I get a hat like that?

It is great looking hat, and looks as much Indy as any hat I have ever seen.

Is it a soft hat or fairly stiff? How does it feel on your head?

karol

MDFrench

A-List Customer
The hat is of a pure beaver felt, very soft and only slightly stiff right now as it is brand new. It will soften up quite nicely in a short time. Matt showed you the link I see. Don't hesitate. Steve is a capital businessman and an honest Joe.

It is the best hat I have ever owner, and I have been through 8 other Indy hats since 1989.

How does it feel? Perfect - most comfortable hat I have ever had and most of my hats have been downright nasty as far as comfort.

Mike

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. French and Mr. Deckard...

Mr. French, very nice hat, although I am only a casual acquaintance, I commend you in your diligence and congratulate you on on your deservedly happy outcome. I'm also sorry to hear about that first Fedora plopping on your head back in '89- ooh! the nerve. The impudent pup! Fedora-plop remover?

Mr. Deckard, don't search too much longer, seems you already have it down.
(Otherwise you'll be like me... too old to pull it off)

Serious lookin avatar gonna clean burn my eyes out!

BT.

Victor

One of the Regulars
Congrats on your new aquisition! I too have an Adventurebilt and wear it every day. It is made of a perfect all beaver midweight felt that is both soft and malleable yet holds its shape. I first bought it because I wanted a perfect Indy hat and indeed it is probably the most perfect Indy hat you will find. Since I got it I felt that I did not want to look like I was in costume all the time I adapted it a bit to my face shape (brought the crown down a bit and reshaped the top) and now it feels like MY hat, not so much an "Indy" hat. Either way it lives on my head and that is the proof of the pudding. Steve is a hellofa nice guy to deal with too so I am adding to his praises here.Since he makes these hats custom he can also give you a slightly wider or narrower brim or even open crown if you prefer to shape it yourself. If you want a top quality real beaver Indy style hat look no further!

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Thanks to Michael starting this thread, I've just saved 16 years and ordered a fedora from Steve moments ago. Life is good.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Other members told me about Fedora, too; now that I have seen his handiwork, I will order from him this summer when I have a better cash flow.

Thanks, Michael, for saving me lots of money. I already have a Stetson 1984 Indy hat, a brown Knox which is nice, but the brim is too narrow, and a Jaxon Iconoclast which will do in a pinch, but I want the real Indy look. And that hat has it. Luckily, I am only out $100 or so.

karol

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
The AdventureBilt is indeed a wonderful hat in my book. I've been wearing mine solidly since I got it months ago. It also held up wonderfully during my recent visit to Mexico and continues to hold up to what I give it. (Several Mexicans even tried to buy the hat from me!) Steve knew how finnicky I am with many of my hats, so he even told me that he was a bit nervous whether I'd like it! It's one of the best hats I own. The more I wear it, the better it gets! :fedora:

bink

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
The Adventurebilt I ordered (earlier in this thread) arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't know that until this morning, when I saw the box on the front porch when I was racing out to go to work. The box is fine, didn't have any bad weather last night, but now it's sitting behind the seat of my truck and I have to wait out the rest of the day to get a chance to open it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy