Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accepted price ranges for jacket drawings? (need advice)

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
This thread is a separate branch of my only other thread on this forum (the "nonsensical" oversized jacket thread). I chose to put this question in here because it's a specific subject for itself, as it is not about any unusual jacket or any other specific jacket, but simply any leather jacket, if it can be described that way.

I need to know - as a lesson for the future - what is an acceptable/reasonable price range would be for an exceptionally well done, detailed drawing of a jacket?

By exceptionally well done and detailed I mean: High quality front side view, back side view, side view, plus all seams and functional features being clearly visible.

The reason I ask is, in case I ever decide to pay someone for a jacket drawing again, that I don't randomly send money based on "feelings", but that I know what is acceptable and what is not. In other words, how would I know I'm not being ripped off? Total amateur here, of course, hence the question.

I very much appreciate it.

born113

One of the Regulars
There are two options.
1. Production of drawings according to a single exhaustively complete description of the customer.
2. Formation of the description (task) of the drawings according to the customer.
The first option is the easiest and fastest and relatively inexpensive.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
To me, a fair price would be $100/hour. Don't ask why, just a gut feel for an hourly rate for a skilled person. Then you'd have to figure out how long it would take draw the jacket (couple of hours?). Hopefully local artisans can chime in to let me know how far off base I am...

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Thank you both...

There are two options.
1. Production of drawings according to a single exhaustively complete description of the customer.
2. Formation of the description (task) of the drawings according to the customer.
The first option is the easiest and fastest and relatively inexpensive.
In this case it would be (or better said has been) option number two. But if, in the future, I would need to do it again, it would be option number one. So what, in your opinion, would be the approximate price ranges for both option one and option two?

To me, a fair price would be $100/hour. Don't ask why, just a gut feel for an hourly rate for a skilled person. Then you'd have to figure out how long it would take draw the jacket (couple of hours?). Hopefully local artisans can chime in to let me know how far off base I am...
Yeah, it would be great if others would chime in. :)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've never priced this, but I know artists who do commission work, and they're not cheap. They are constantly being lowballed or asked to work for free, and it's insulting to waste their time. If you are negotiating with an artist and you don't like their rates, you can make a counter offer and negotiate, but you should be respectful of their time and talent. Particularly if you are asking for a "high quality" drawing.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
I've never priced this, but I know artists who do commission work, and they're not cheap. They are constantly being lowballed or asked to work for free, and it's insulting to waste their time. If you are negotiating with an artist and you don't like their rates, you can make a counter offer and negotiate, but you should be respectful of their time and talent. Particularly if you are asking for a "high quality" drawing.
Basically I already have a drawing that is exceptionally high quality, but the minor adjustments that are needed for screen accuracy before it could be submitted are something that I simply cannot pull off by myself. I don't have the necessary image editing skills to make it work, and I elaborated more about this in the other thread.

And even though I decided I'm done with the project, there are people privately motivating me not to stop since I've already gotten this far. So I'm at a total loss what to do... either (a) pay someone for simply adjusting the already existing, near perfect drawing, or (b) pay someone to do a new one. I personally find (b) to be total nonsense since the drawing only needs slight adjustment, but as a complete amateur I simply have no clue, hence the question.

Another reason for this thread was for me to know a certain price-range, because even though the person in question did not request any money from me, I sent it to them without any regret, cause the work was phenomenal. So "good conscience" reasons, that I did not underpay someone, is another reason I'm having this discussion with you guys.

I appreciate it.

If you are going with 5 star, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Others have done really well without professional help, but you need to be very clear on your measurements and details. The first version might need tweaking- consider it a test run.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
If you are going with 5 star, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Others have done really well without professional help, but you need to be very clear on your measurements and details. The first version might need tweaking- consider it a test run.
Thanks, but the issue has been resolved recently. I've updated the other (main) thread today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails