Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Activities with Fedoras

ronin

New in Town
There are special activities wearing a good fedory allow you to indulge in that are much more sweet than when going bare-headed. In fact, these are signature activities that our hatless friends cannot indulge in without looking not-quite-right.

For example:

Standing on the street- maybe leaning on a building or lampost- opening up a newspaper fully- and then just standing there reading it.

Chewing on a wooden matchstick.

Whistling. Hardly anyone whistles anymore. Wearing your hat almost forces the music from you.

Upon hearing something exasperating you can just flip your front brim up, knocking the hat to the back of your head. This is also a chance to whistle.

When taking a walk in the evening, and seeing a neighbor woman, you can just dip your head and lightly tug at your brim. For some reason when you do that their husbands glare at you.

When you enter someone's house you can just fling your hat to land on any available surface. Much classier than fussily insisting it be upside down, dry and clean. This shows a casual nonchalance, marking you as debonair and elegant. Hardly anyone gets to be debonair anymore.

When you are at a ballgame and the national anthem plays, or watching a parade and Old Glory marches by, removing your hat really means something.

What else?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Strolling in town.

No, I don't mean walking in the city. That's a forced march of sharp elbows, locked knees and churning stomach acids (if you're doing it right).

I mean putting a hand or two in a pocket or two and sauntering, medium sprightly, with a slight bounce in your step. Not dawdling, mind you, just taking the air (as it used to be called).

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Or, when a tour bus rolls by, as one did in downtown Atlanta this morning: You take off your fedora, hold it high and wave it once. It is a sweeping gesture, one that takes in the buildings, the sidewalks, the passersby, and says: Welcome to the city.

RBH

Bartender
SamReu said:
Or, when a tour bus rolls by, as one did in downtown Atlanta this morning: You take off your fedora, hold it high and wave it once. It is a sweeping gesture, one that takes in the buildings, the sidewalks, the passersby, and says: Welcome to the city.

And a GRAND WELCOME at that!

newspapercowboy

Familiar Face
pipe

Fletch said:
Strolling in town.

No, I don't mean walking in the city. That's a forced march of sharp elbows, locked knees and churning stomach acids (if you're doing it right).

I mean putting a hand or two in a pocket or two and sauntering, medium sprightly, with a slight bounce in your step. Not dawdling, mind you, just taking the air (as it used to be called).

Walking in the park, smoking a pipe

ronin

New in Town
I was sitting for a prolonged time in a waiting area today. What I got to do that others could not: Slouch back a little, tip the hat forward toward my forehead with the brim shading my eyes, and doze...

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
ronin said:
I was sitting for a prolonged time in a waiting area today. What I got to do that others could not: Slouch back a little, tip the hat forward toward my forehead with the brim shading my eyes, and doze...

This is personally one of favorite things to do with a fedora.

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
ronin said:
i constantly do that while riding in the car. mostly because i'm exhausted.

another thing you can do that non-hat wearing peopl cant is use a hat rack.

My buddy Max!

I like to be sure to wear a hat, either fedora or the newsboy cap when taking the dog for a walk.

Max, where's your leash? Do you wanna go walkies?

solvang01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy