Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Admiral Byrd from Aero

John Lever

One Too Many
There's a Youtube US army vid. of incendiary rounds easy piercing 3/4 [18] mm manhole covers. Apparently they can take out APC 's.
Wonder how much they cost £10 k ?

handworn

New in Town
I second the salute to Amanda; she's most helpful & professional. What did the Admiral Byrd jacket set you back? It's a great-looking jacket that they ought to add to their line. And is there a photo online of the man himself wearing the original?

BladeSmith said:
Hello All,

Here are more detailed photos of the Admiral Byrd Jacket that Aero built for
Me. I had two modifications made after I got back home. I had two inside
breast pockets added, and I had the belt loops changed. The original loops
allowed the belt to droop in back and I kept getting hung up with it. The
new ones lay flat and there are two extra that help it stay close to the body.
I would really like to have one in seal brown goatskin also. I would have it
made with zippered cuffs and longer sleeves- mine ride up on my arms a bit
when motorcycling. I want to mention a lady at Aero named Amanda. She
was very patient, helpful, and went out of her way for me.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
BladeSmith:

I think you just demostrated how to properly break-in a leather jacket. Wow, that jacket looks great!! I really like the styling as well. Thanks for sharing your pictures and congratulations on a stellar Aero jacket.

Regards,

Noel

Welcome to the Lounge

Hi Fuad,

I just wanted to say that your Aero jacket is a great looking and very functional piece of grand adventurer outerwear. You have the panache of the Gentleman Adventurer of the teens and twenties. (1910-1929ish)

Please be sure to give us the details of the TV program so we can watch it when it comes on cable / satellite TV.

For those interested in the machine gun, the MG42 is an awesome machine gun and to hear it being fired helps reveal the nickname it had "Hitler's Zipper!" The style of bolt and how it fires gives it an different sound, as the burst gets longer the cyclic rate climbs quickly and it sounds like a zipper being unzipped in a way. Many machine guns have a rate reducer, this one doesn't.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

BladeSmith said:
pilot9-1.jpg

Do you have a concealment holster for that thing?

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I've been wondering the same thing, but it seems that Bladesmith posted this thread, and hasn't been back since [huh]

Did we offend?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Blade Smith, you have just made a certain segment of the Fedora Lounge membership TOTALLY CRAZY with interest and curiosity over the artifacts you have dangled before our eyes.
I agree that Aero should add the jacket to their line, and I think they should include a full scale replica of a Ford Trimotor with it. The jacket just makes you automatically assume a Trimotor must be nearby.

carter

I'll Lock Up
1911 Man said:
I've been wondering the same thing, but it seems that Bladesmith posted this thread, and hasn't been back since [huh]

Did we offend?

Maybe he just got busy. He does some beautiful work as a bladesmith. You may be able to contact him via his homepage.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Fantastic Jacket

I'd love to know how much it was to have that Admiral Byrd jacket made up.

I wonder how much more than the standard Aero offerings, given that many of my 'extras', added only a fraction to the overall jacket price.

Let's hope that Aero kept the details & template.

Well, I do hope that BladeSmith returns to reveal the cost.

Edit: Got that wrong; there was NO increase in price, even though I had a list of non-standard 'extra' requirements.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Thanks Milu

Milu said:
I've just heard back from Amanda. £450. I've just found my Xmas present to myself.

A big thanks (from many of us I would imagine) for finding that out. I was going to email Amanda to ask the same.

It's pretty late in the year now. Considering the time to build an Aero, I'll probably wait until next summer before placing the order.

Keep us informed regarding what Amanda had to say about sizing & fit, compared to other Aero jackets. Please do post pics as soon as it arrives.

It'll be funny if Blademith is totally unaware of the interest he's caused. :)

Lear

BladeSmith

New in Town
Sorry Fellows

Sorry Fellows,

I have been very busy, and have been remiss in keeping current with you. I am very happy that others are seeking to have Aero reproduce the Byrd Jacket. Alas the History Channel pilot never took to the air. It was quite a disappointment, but it helped to focus my attention on other more important things. I have been producing more work in my shop, and preparing myself for the daunting task of attaining my Master Smith's ranking. In a few months I will stand before a Master Smith and destruction test a beautiful Damascus steel knife of my own making. This is called the performance test and here is a link to see what that entails http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ABS_MSTest.htm. I have done more television work and will let you all know where that leads. I concur in the opinion that Indy should have worn this jacket instead, but there are many things that Dr. Jones has done as-of-late that I take issue with.

Here is the spiffiest thing to emerge from my smithy recently.
100_1731.JPG

100_1741.JPG

100_1751.JPG

100_1747.JPG

I have busied myself this past weekend by refurbishing my old campaign hat.

Cheers,
Fuad Accawi

carter

I'll Lock Up
Glad to see you're back, Bladesmith. Sharaf Acca is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.
Good luck on obtaining your Master Smith ranking and in your other endeavors. Your posts are inevitably interesting and leave us wanting more.

BladeSmith

New in Town
carter said:
Glad to see you're back, Bladesmith. Sharaf Acca is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.
Good luck on obtaining your Master Smith ranking and in your other endeavors. Your posts are inevitably interesting and leave us wanting more.

Many Thanks Carter,

I very sincerely appreciate your interest and encouragement.

Cheers,
Fuad

Story

I'll Lock Up
Neat silent video of a 1926 Fordson tractor 'snowmobile'
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=568_1233111054

Apparently used on Admiral Byrd's second expedition,
https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/1811/35732/1/PolarEpubs_YoungsNarrativeAcct.pdf

they were converted to winter use by adding screw propulsion via large cylinders. The result was a "snowmobile" - dubbed the Snow Motor or Snow Devil. The 11-minute (silent) video shows impressive performance, and not just "for its time." The last portion of the video shows the screw propulsion mounted on an automobile rather than a tractor.

He's all set to visit the Mountains of Madness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR