Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventurer in Oz

Jones Boy

New in Town
Thought I would offer my first post after much research, reading and veiwing on this great forum. I was in the market for a new Akubra and came across the Adventurer from David Morgan (DM to you guys). Tried getting this hat here in Australia and nothing doing so after much angst I decided to put my order in. Ordered on the Thursday and had the hat in my hot little hand the following Monday - this from one WA to another WA (Washington State to Western Australia) - unbelievable time!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Any hoo, the hat was brilliant, tho' is a size 61 (I have a large noggin) and the brim looked too large. Now I swore that I would not trim my brim, however after researching the forum and many other great sources, I decided to take off around 0.5cm (between 1/4 and 1/8 inch).

I will post some pickies soon of the finished product, however it changed the persona of the hat completely and now I love it - cannot keep my eyes off it and are looking for excuses to put it on and go out in it - much to my wifes chagrin.:D

Cheers on a top forum.
Jonesy

Jones Boy

New in Town
Okay, finally got some pics and then sorted out how to post the beggars!

All of these shots were taken after the hat trimming - like a few other posters here, in my excitement to wield the blade I neglected to take some before shots.

Here is a shot of the side - a really classic profile. I am new to the whole formal hat thing and this is my first high crown hat, but I do like the look of them on. This of course photographs under the flash much lighter than the true colour

IMG_1224.jpg

This one includes our curious Birman who was really keen on the hat for some reason - she tried having a chew which was firmly discouraged.:eek: I bashed this Adventurer straight out of the box and was happy with the result from the get go. Still working on the lip at the back though. Needless to say I am an Indy fan from way back having grown up with Dr Jones and was keen on a generic type Indy bash.

IMG_1225.jpg

Right this is closer to the true colour - quite dark brown, although I would expect it to lighten up in the harsh Aussie sun and since I am a geologist it will be a working hat.

IMG_1230.jpg

Finally a side profile - as you can see my nut is a bit longer than average and it tends to pull the front of the hat down somewhat. No matter, it gets a good swoop going and keeps the lower sun out of my eyes at the beginning and end of a day.

IMG_1231.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to more postings and interesting topics.

Cheers
Jonesy

K

Kaosharper1

Welcome

Glad to see another DM Adventurer. Mine has made it through the New England winter with flying colors. We should start some sort of club.

Did you find trimming the brim difficult?

Jones Boy

New in Town
Kaosharper1 said:
Glad to see another DM Adventurer. Mine has made it through the New England winter with flying colors. We should start some sort of club.

Did you find trimming the brim difficult?

Not really - just a steady free hand. I practiced on one of my old Akubras - a "Cattleman" before I took the plunge. Just chalked it in freehand around the brim and then took a stanley knife (box cutter for the US blokes out there) to it - again freehand.

Adventurer club it is! Stay in touch.

Cheers
Jonesy

Jones Boy

New in Town
MississippiLong said:
:eusa_clap Great pics. Yeah, how did you manage with the brim trim?

Thanks ML. See my other post, however I will tell you that once I got the idea in my head I just felt compelled to do it.

I was not, however, compelled to keep chopping at it like another bloke I read about elsewhere in the FL. Must have been the lack of beers that held me back!!

Cheers
Jonesy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails