Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice about my hat

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
How do you do that?

Here is my Fed IV with a center dent and then with a diamond pushed into it. You can see how the diamond straightens up the sides. If you like what you've done you can steam it in, or spray it down with water and letting it sit until it dries, usually overnight.

20160524_143302_500x889.jpg
20160524_143317_500x889.jpg
20160524_143449_500x889.jpg
20160524_143503_500x889.jpg

ninman

One of the Regulars
Ok, but I'm wondering why does it look fairly boxy on one side but not the other? I thought that it would have the same open crown shape all around, so applying the same dent should achieve the same effect surely?

ninman

One of the Regulars
Also, do you think I pushed the side dents a little too far back. I'm thinking I should pull them forward a little bit.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Judging by the photos in the OP, I think your hat looks perfect.

However, there is nothing wrong with experimenting. Pulling the dents forward should straighten up the sides a bit, but you'll lose the character of those great side dents.

And none of my hats are identical side to side. It's just something that is the way it is.

But if you want the sides to look more identically straight up, try pushing a diamond into the top of the side that is more tapered looking. The worst that can happen is that you don't like it, and push it back out again into a regular center dent.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Ok, but I'm wondering why does it look fairly boxy on one side but not the other? I thought that it would have the same open crown shape all around, so applying the same dent should achieve the same effect surely?

I see your point but there can be several reasons why the sides aren't identical. For example, on getting one side as you like it, you've pulled over the other side just a smidgen. Also, there may just be slightly more felt on one side or if you've been using steam, one side has shrunk a little.
I think your hat just doesn't want a perfectly boxy crown, short of re-blocking it, you'll just have to live with a very, very slight taper, which will be more in your mind than in the veiwer's eye. ;)

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
the squareness is mostly due to the block

there are shaping tricks that you learn with experience that can lend themselves to this appearance ... more difficult to achieve when using a center dent with a more tapered crown

but mostly it is the block ... as is the case with the Herbert Johnson Raiders hat

Yep... it's the blocking that'll give you that square look without any taper... learned that... can't make a crooked line straight...

ninman

One of the Regulars
So I thought I'd post a few follow up photos. I tweeked the dent on on the non-bow side a little bit, which removed most of the taper. Basically I lowered it about half and inch. I can't get it perfectly boxy, but I think that's to do with the shape of the hat, so I'm guessing this is about as good as I can get it. For the record, I do like the way it looks, I just wish I could get a sharper more boxy shape into it.

20160529_092757_resized.jpg 20160529_092834_resized.jpg 20160529_092844_resized.jpg 20160529_092854_resized.jpg 20160529_092906_resized.jpg

RJR

So I thought I'd post a few follow up photos. I tweeked the dent on on the non-bow side a little bit, which removed most of the taper. Basically I lowered it about half and inch. I can't get it perfectly boxy, but I think that's to do with the shape of the hat, so I'm guessing this is about as good as I can get it. For the record, I do like the way it looks, I just wish I could get a sharper more boxy shape into it.

View attachment 50657 View attachment 50658 View attachment 50659 View attachment 50660 View attachment 50661
Looks good to me.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah actually looking at the pictures, it looks like the whole crown is kind of sloped in that direction. I've done the best I can though, I enjoy wearing it now.
That's the main thing. I've found, though, that no matter how much I try to impose my will on a hat, the thing usually has a mind of its own and reverts to whatever shape it wants to be. What usually happens is that I get to a sort of compromise with the hat, usually with the hat slightly getting its way. I've come to the conclusion that the hats probably look better that way.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Great, now what are we going to do about those angles & taper at the front of the crown. ? ...........................................Oop's :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You may be able to find a hat in cast plastic, that will satisfy you. If you want one, made from felt, you'll have to come to terms with the fact, that felt is an organic material. A felt hat is not meant to look like some perfect, symmetrical shape, cast in a "dead" material :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner