Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on buying Aero Rocker/Highwayman

Chris_B

New in Town
Hey all,

after reading all these posts about other people's leather jackets I finally decided to get one too.

I would like to have a clean, slim fitting jacket, so I am thinking about ordering an Aero Rocker/Highwayman in black FQHH in size 40 with these alterations:

- one-piece back
- no breast pockets
- zippered sleeeves
- two internal pockets with snap closure
- black cotton drill lining with gold satin overlay in the arms
- silver/nickel metalware
- inside leather band at the bottom of the lining
- smaller collar (half an inch off)

To get a tighter fit Amanda offered to taper from the armpit down to the waist by 1” (my measures are 107 cm exhaled at the chest and 96 cm at the navel area).

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Chris

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I like it. Two suggestions, based on my experience:

1. On your internal pockets, specify whether you want horizontal or vertical pockets. Some refer to the latter as "gun pockets" as they permit an easier cross draw (if you're into that kind of thing -- I never carry using my Highwayman's gun pockets). My Veste de Rallye came with the former type of pockets which makes it easier to carry longer items like maps.

[Edit to add pics so you can see what I mean:

a. Gun pocket

3658318105_e176f81f10.jpg

b. Horizontal pocket

4800026193_3df39dcdaa.jpg

]

2. On the taper, I recommend telling Aero whether you want the fit with buckles fully retracted or extended. I prefer the former but it is a matter of personal preference. The way I see it my size 32 waist won't be that size forever so I can extend out the buckles over time. Others will (rightfully) point out that having the buckles retracted can cause an unsightly fold in the sides of the jacket. Up to you.

3659113132_4fdd62117a.jpg

This is a measured size 42 chest (tagged size 40) tapering to size 32.

Chris_B

New in Town
Thanks for your quick reply!

Ace Rimmer said:
I like it. Two suggestions, based on my experience:

1. On your internal pockets, specify whether you want horizontal or vertical pockets.

Hm, I really like the look of the vertical pockets, but the horizontal ones seem much more practical to me.

Ace Rimmer said:
The way I see it my size 32 waist won't be that size forever so I can extend out the buckles over time.

Well, that's correct :rolleyes: But I will see it as an incentive to stay in shape ;)
Like you mentioned I would like to avoid the crumpled sides...

BTW: what I forgot to mention is that I will go for zippered sleeves instead of the ones on the standard Highwayman....

Edward

Bartender
If you're particularly interested in a neater fit, I would also consider the 30s Halfbelt as a start point over the Highwayman.

Chris_B

New in Town
Edward said:
If you're particularly interested in a neater fit, I would also consider the 30s Halfbelt as a start point over the Highwayman.

I considered this option too, but I don't like the halfbelt at the back of the jacket...

Chris_B

New in Town
GriffDeLaGriff said:
You could have one of each pocket.
Left gun pocket for cellphone/ipod. Right map pocket for....um..maps lol

Very good idea!
Left for cellphone, right for wallet...
:)

@Ace Rimmer: Beautiful jacket, BTW!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
One thing to consider is specifying the maximum depth of the pocket.
The standard pockets seems to go almost all the way down to the bottom of the jacket :eek:

I have specified maximum 10" depth 2 times and one time they came like normal deep ones and the last jacket got the short depth but its worth a shot to try imo.

Edward

Bartender
Chris_B said:
I considered this option too, but I don't like the halfbelt at the back of the jacket...

There is that... I imagine you could order a custom job with a one-piece back... It's definitely a trimmer fit than the Highwayman, which has that 50s 'boxy' shape (still much less blousey than a modern jacket, though).

Navin323i

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
You could have one of each pocket.
Left gun pocket for cellphone/ipod. Right map pocket for....um..maps lol

That's a great idea, Griff. I would definitely prefer deeper pockets to shallower pockets to avoid stuff falling out of my jacket, especially when driving and all.

Chris_B

New in Town
I am just trying to figure out, how much tapering is needed on my Highwayman.
Could anybody with a size 40 regular tell me, what the side to side measurement on the waist is?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Chris_B said:
I am just trying to figure out, how much tapering is needed on my Highwayman.
Could anybody with a size 40 regular tell me, what the side to side measurement on the waist is?

Chris -

The jacket will be cut to your measurements, so the measurements another person gives you may be different than what you receive.

However, the beauty of buying an Aero is that you can customize to your heart's content. For example, if you want a snugger fit, you could buy an Aero Cafe Racer and request a one piece back, and Highwayman collar. Also, on this jacket the zip cuffs should be included in the price - I'm pretty sure that on the Highwayman they are an added cost option.

Also, I saw your other thread and Mark Moye at Aero USA told me that the ACE "Rocker" is just a Highwayman with zip cuffs and two adjustment straps per side.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I agree with Jimmer, just tell Aero your waist measurement and then tell them how you want it to fit (loose, close, baggy, etc.). They'll take care of it for you.

Chris_B

New in Town
Ace Rimmer said:
I agree with Jimmer, just tell Aero your waist measurement and then tell them how you want it to fit (loose, close, baggy, etc.). They'll take care of it for you.

Well, that's what I did. Sent Amanda my measurements and that I would like to have a close fit.
I also told her that I recently tried on a size 40, which was basically fine, besides that I found the waist way to large.
So she offered me to do some tapering "by an inch or so, whatever I feel is needed". :-/

So now I try to figure out how much that would be by guesstimating how much adjustment I made on the side straps of that Highwayman I tried on...

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
^^ Hm. In the alternative, I would take a tape measure and provide Aero with a circumference measurement that suits your needs.

I did something similar when I ordered my Veste de Rallye; it too is a boxy jacket that does not normally have a taper. I was afraid that the waist would be too large, so I took a tape measure and taped out the bottom (inside) circumference of one of my existing car coats. I gave it to Aero and asked them to match it.

Aero ended up providing a jacket that was a bit too large in that department but to their credit they fixed it up quickly and it looks perfect now. Give it a try, I think that will be better than estimating off the "stock" Aero Highwayman measurements, because in all honesty I do not believe there is any such thing as a "stock" Highwayman.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I also sent a digital picture of my "measurement" showing tape measure and jacket. I think this helps them fine-tune the fit because they can see your starting/end point of measurements instead of just guessing. I also had them do a similar fit with my jacket's length; I taped* a measuring tape to my Highwayman, starting at the seam between the collar and body (behind the neck) and let it fall down my back so they could see what length I wanted, and snapped a photo.

*: NOTE do NOT use Scotch or masking tape to do this, as it may peel off some of the finish of your existing jacket. I made that mistake and while it only caused some minor finish damage, it was stupid of me to do so. Use painter's tape or other tape that is designed not to mar the finish of the item being taped. In fact, if you look very closely at the last picture I posted you will see the damage. It's at the very bottom edge of the back of the jacket.

Chris_B

New in Town
OK, finally placed my order today:

• Highwayman, size 40, in black heavy front quarter horsehide
  • wider chest by small turnings (size 41'')
  • tapering at the waist by 3.5” total (from 24'' to 20.5'')
  • plain one piece back
  • zippered sleeves
  • no breast pockets
  • two handwarmer pockets
  • two internal map pockets with zip closure (6'' deep)
  • black cotton drill lining with black satin overlay in the arms
  • all silver/nickel metalware
  • inside waist leather band at the bottom of the lining in light/soft leather
  • single straps at the sides
  • smaller collar (by 0.5'') --> maybe I'll go for more, what do you think?

Thanks for all your clever input and comments! I really appreciate that!

So now I am impatiently waiting the delivery. It's a pity Aero closes now for 2 weeks, makes the wait even longer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm