Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Noble House flight jackets

deCressy

New in Town
I'm new at the Lounge, so forgive me if I don't observe the proper etiquette.

I am interested in acquiring a short leather jacket of the "flight" or "motorcycle" type.In particular I'm interested in something along the lines of the "Marseille" jacket made by Noble House. The official link is here: http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/35

Better pictures are here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHER-fly..._Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item870d46dc12

I've done a little research here at the Lounge and the majority opinion seems to be that Noble House's product is not as good as it should be at the price. On the other hand there is a strong minority opinion that Noble House makes a pretty good jacket. I know that Eastman and Aero Leathers make superior products but I haven't had occasion to look at any of their jackets "up close and personal", so those comparisons don't help much. I have a 1970s vintage Schott A-2 that suits me fine so far as quality of workmanship and weight of the horsehide is concerned. SO, can anyone tell me whether I can expect the Noble House jacket to be about the same, better or not as good as the Schott?

Second question: Does anyone know if another manufacturer makes a high quality jacket cut on approximately the same lines as the Marseille?

Metatron

One Too Many
Hello deCressy

I own a Nachtjager jacket made by Noblehouse. I really like it, but I admit that it has a few imperfections. It isn't 100% faithful to the original. It has a layer of insulation under the lining which I had removed. It is obvious that most of their jackets are civilian jackets 'heavily inspired' by original flight jackets, not quite repros but not quite 'generic bomber jackets'.

However they seem to do some designs better than others. The American jackets they make don't seem that convincing to me, however some designs that they exclusively reproduce seem really nice. I think their best jacket is the winter Kanaljacke. Firstly it doesn't deviate from the original design as far as I can see (most of theirs do). secondly, we have a member here with a collection of originals, and he found his spot on.

The jackets that are exclusive to them (or exclusive in that price range) are the Marseille, the Kanaljacke (summer & winter) the Barkhorn and the Nachtjager. To me these are all good value jackets because they cannot be found anywhere else, and particularly the Kanaljacke is very accurate to the original. The Marseille also looks nice. I'm not so convinced by the Barkhorn, seems too generously cut for that design. The new horsehide 'Bf 109' looks nice, but again it's probably a bit loosely cut for the design that it's replicating.

I think they would have a better reputation for accuracy if they stuck to the designs that are exclusive to them, but there's obviously always a demand for A2s.

As far as similar jackets to the Marseille, the only one I'm aware of is this by aero:
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=195

Design wise, I find it less wearable, but it's obviously of a higher quality.

deCressy

New in Town
Thanks, Metatron.
I’ve looked at your thread on the Nachtjager. It seems like a good jacket, and it seems you are well pleased with it. I think I would be pleased with the Marseille. I am not so keen that it be 100% authentic. Mainly, I like the styling. Anyway, from the photos it seems it is pretty close to the original jacket worn by Marseille, close enough for me.
I like the styling of the Marseille better than Aero Leathers’s Radjacke, which does seem to be about as close to the cut of the Marseille as one can get. However, I just wonder about the weight of the leather on the Marseille. I want something fairly heavy and durable, comparable to my Schott A-2. I take it your Nachtjager is a good bit heavier than the average leather jacket available at typical clothing stores. Is that more or less correct?
Thanks again for your help.

Metatron

One Too Many
I think the fellow is looking for a double breasted leather jacket...

As for me, I have seen your's before, Paden, but it's too expensive for me... It does look wonderful though.

Last edited:

deCressy

New in Town
Been away a few days. It's great to get back and see these responses waiting for me.
The Messerschmidt jacket is impressive, but I am looking for a double-breasted jacket.
Kevin, what is in the works at Pegasus?
Thanks,
Neil

Been away a few days. It's great to get back and see these responses waiting for me.
The Messerschmidt jacket is impressive, but I am looking for a double-breasted jacket.
Kevin, what is in the works at Pegasus?
Thanks,
Neil

Hi Neil,

I don't want to sabotage this thread so I'll send you details in a private message.

Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner