Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on this straw hat, please

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have a chance to purchase this hat and I'd like input from you experts on it.

I like the look of it overall, but I notice there's no pinch at all in the front.

I'm not experienced (or comfortable) trying to rebash a vintage straw hat -- would it look good as is? Is rebashing a relatively simple procedure that an employee at, say, NYC's JJ Hat Center could handle (since I don't want to undertake it)?

What do you guys think?

I had a shot of the label inside, but somehow lost it. It's a Knox.

genehat1.jpg
genehat2.jpg
genehat3.jpg
genehat4.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Straw hats don't easily re-bash like a felt hat does. I think if you like it the way it is don't mess with it. It would need to be re-blocked by a professional if you're wanting it to be another shape.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I agree it looks fine as is and wasn't intended to have any front pinch. In fact, with the wide pug band and fairly low crown there really isn't space for more than a slight narrowing anyway. Give it a try in its original form.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Take it to Worth & Worth...

Hi,
the hat looks very nice. If you are indeed planning on having its shape changed I strongly recommend you to take it to Worth & Worth and not JJ.
Orlando Palacios is a master hat maker with all the tools and skills for the job.
His store is on 57th st and 6th ave. www.hatshop.com is his site.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Well, I took the plunge. I'm not entirely convinced it's going to fit (I'm a 62, but extra long oval), but the vendor's agreed to accept a return if it doesn't work out, so what the heck.

Thanks, all.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
I have a chance to purchase this hat and I'd like input from you experts on it.

I like the look of it overall, but I notice there's no pinch at all in the front.

That hat is just peachy, skyvue. I dig it!

Chinaski

One Too Many
skyvue said:
Well, I took the plunge. I'm not entirely convinced it's going to fit (I'm a 62, but extra long oval), but the vendor's agreed to accept a return if it doesn't work out, so what the heck.

Thanks, all.

Since you took the plunge you can try it out on your noodle for a while. If you end up not liking it as a porkpie you can see about changing it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice lid!

IMO, you might tilt the lid down an inch or so in the front.

Or not. [huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I sometimes tend to wear straw hats a bit further back on my head than my fur felts. It's unintentional, not sure why I do it.

Perhaps I'll take another photo with it a bit lower and a profile shot or two.

Thanks, all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff