Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1980 Highwayman, tons of character!

dan_t

Practically Family
You just don't see these every day.....
I recently acquired this absolute stunner of an original Aero Highwayman jacket.
Purchased by the original owner (who I acquired it from) around 1980 from a shop in Taunton UK.
It's been well-worn over those 40 or so years & has developed a wonderful character that can only be generated through time & wear.
The jacket is Black, with brown undertones appearing in many spots.
It is a size 40 (fits closer to a 42, which has always been true for the generous Highwayman cut).
The lining is original & is actually in a superb condition, especially for it's age. There are only 2 extremely small spots that could do with a very light darn.
It has elastic cuffs at the wrist, which again are in an excellent condition.
I'm only passing this one on as it's really a good inch too short for me in the body and sleeves - a shame really....
Zips are all original and appear to me to be a very good working order.
It's not perfect, but it's a bloody good condition & honest Aero Highwayman from way back when.

Price is USD $500 - which INCLUDES international shipping, tracking and insurance to your door.

Size; 40
P2P; 24"
Sleeves; 25.5" around the curve
Shoulder; 19"
Back; 25"

Here are many, many pic's, taken in shade, direct sun & inside for full transparancy.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Aero 1980 Hwymn (9 of 41).jpg
Aero 1980 Hwymn (1 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (4 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (5 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (12 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (14 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (15 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (17 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (18 of 41).jpg Aero 1980 Hwymn (20 of 41).jpg

dan_t

Practically Family
Any idea if the is the Connolly Steerhide? Is the liner wool or cotton? Heavy and warm or lighter? Soft or scratchy? Thank you!
Good questions.
Connolly...?
I know that Aero were using Connolly around this time & I have owned another Highwayman that was made from Connolly Steerhide (since passed on to another lounger).
This one IS very similar to that hide (certainly shows very similar grain & has a very soft hand), but as I can't say for certain, I haven't mentioned it for fear of misleading someone (call me conservative).
Lining
I'd guess that the lining is wool, at the very least all of my other Aero's with Tartan are wool & this matches them perfectly.
As for the weight of the Tartan, that's a bit difficult for me to answer. Although I've owned many Aero's, I can't think of any that ever claimed to be a 'heavyweight' lining, so I don't really know. What I can say is that it IS a heavier thread and somehow more 'robust' than all of my modern Aero's with Tartan. Now, whether that's a true heavyweight lining, or simply that they used a thicker wool back in the early '80's I just can't say.
Soft or scratchy; definitely comfortable, not scratchy at all.

Hope that helps, don't hesitate to let me know if there are any more questions.

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks, I can only pass on the info as relayed to me from the prior (and original) owner. The info above is exactly as I was informed.
Either way, it doesn’t change whats offered for sale here. The best way for any potential purchaser to make a decision is take a look at the pics.
Ive done my best to take as many as possible, in varying lighting conditions to illustrate the condition in as honest a way that I can think of.
I’m happy to have a discussion about the jacket with anyone via PM if they’d like.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like early Aero highwaymans, I am on my third HM do to body changes and how I like my jackets to fit. Currently I have a recent issue but have owned early 2000 issues with the heavier HH

Bummy67

New in Town
Thanks again for today Dan,beautiful jacket which will be well loved.
But even more so was the time Dan spent showing me the different types of leather ,styles of jackets & how they all vary in size from 38-42 but all fitted great a real eye opener, what a great hour spent learning so much!WOW what a collection of great jackets you have mate. Top guy , thanks again dan_t
Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112