Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 30's HB armhole

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello Gentlemen,
I have an Aero 50's HB wich is very nice but definitely too big in the arms and the waist area.
So i intend to change it for something slimmer like a 30's HB but i wonder how is the arm hole ?
Is it narrow and high placed (just under the underarm) or a more low ?
I intend to wear this new jacket with only a shirt or a tee-shirt but i don't want to suffer in the underarm area.
Or maybe a 50's HB, in a size down, (i'am 38 chest but i had chosen a 40 to have more room for a sweater, which is in fact too big!) would be enough ?
Opinions welcome !!!
Cheers, F68

schitzo

Suspended
given that the 50s HB fits 'oversized' getting that 40 was obviously a mistake. Sorry, I know you know that. But since a 38 in this design fits more like a 40 I reckon you should just go for a 38 next time. It's an all time classic design that you can't go wrong with whereas 30s HBs can look a bit poncy sometimes, IMO. Plus, I think your armhole worries are a valid concern. If you can't try it on before you buy I say play safe and get another 50s

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Ok Schitzo, thanks for your honest reply, i'am a big fan of your reviews.
A 50's HB in 38 would work but a 30's HB in size 40 could be a between ? what do you think ?
Cheers,
F68

wdw

One Too Many
My thoughts are that the 30s styles aren't really made for layering, so best to go with a 38 for a trim look and just wear a shirt. Like Schitzo says, if you want to layer, then a 50s 38" would have been plenty big enough. I've been through the same issues and just had to admit that I'd bought too large and suffered the financial consequences when downsizing.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Thanks Wdw, there are lessons quite hard to learn.
Anyone have compared on this forum the fit of the 50 and 30's HB, i searched but such a think hasn't been done (not yet ?).
Cheers,
F68

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that many of us have struggled with this same issue; I definitely have. With a 38 chest, I would imagine that a size 38 30's HB would probably give you the proper fit and look. An alternative might also be the 40's Pioneer, also in size 38. Your best bet would be to give your body measurements to Aero for guidance.

pauleway

Practically Family
I like the 30's HB better because it is more narrow at the waist and just looks and fits better because of that. I would give Aero, or Alexander your measurments and go with the slimmer cut. 30's HB if you're going with Aero, or the Arkansas if you choose Alexander. Both top of the line IMHO! You can't beat Aero's FQHH, and Alexander's Goatskin is beautiful, can't go wrong with either one!

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
Go by the measurements of a jacket that fits you. Sizing 38, 40 etc of a jacket means nothing without the actual measurements.
pit to pit
shoulder to shoulder seam
bottom of back collar to back bottom
arm length, shoulder seam to end of sleeve
waist is good to get also.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Thanks Pauleway and Winterland1, i think i will go for a 30's HB, i'am quite slim with no belly (my chest size is 38-38,5 and my waist size is 35,5).
I will see that with Aero next week...
Cheers,
F68

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Go by the measurements of a jacket that fits you. Sizing 38, 40 etc of a jacket means nothing without the actual measurements.
pit to pit
shoulder to shoulder seam
bottom of back collar to back bottom
arm length, shoulder seam to end of sleeve
waist is good to get also.

+1

Having gone through the same issues as you have I can only confirm the above. The sizing and fit are a huge weak issue with Aero and many have learned expensive lessons here. The absolutely only way is to ask them to give you the actual measurements of the jacket you're interested in purchasing. Don't take anything else for an answer and don't just downsize or chances are you'll go from a bad fit to a slightly less bad fit. And even if downsizing works for one particular model, it says nothing about the sizing or fit of another. There are just too many variables involved.

When ordering, just give them your actual measurements and ask them to make a jacket based on those, specifying how much extra space you want and insisting on the fact that no 'fudge factor' be applied. Finally, ask to be sent a list of actual measurements of the jacket you'll receive, it's the only way. I would never just blindly trust their advice on sizing, been there, done that and now own a jacket that's too large and will likely end up on ebay.

sshack

A-List Customer
+1

Having gone through the same issues as you have I can only confirm the above. The sizing and fit are a huge weak issue with Aero and many have learned expensive lessons here. The absolutely only way is to ask them to give you the actual measurements of the jacket you're interested in purchasing. Don't take anything else for an answer and don't just downsize or chances are you'll go from a bad fit to a slightly less bad fit. And even if downsizing works for one particular model, it says nothing about the sizing or fit of another. There are just too many variables involved.

When ordering, just give them your actual measurements and ask them to make a jacket based on those, specifying how much extra space you want and insisting on the fact that no 'fudge factor' be applied. Finally, ask to be sent a list of actual measurements of the jacket you'll receive, it's the only way. I would never just blindly trust their advice on sizing, been there, done that and now own a jacket that's too large and will likely end up on ebay.

Sage advice... intend to follow this on my next purchase!

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Thanks, Xenophon, i see there's a lot of people who had the same problem. Even with the numbers, it's hard to figure out how the jacket will fit and i had been tempt to size up...
Some pics with the jacket on with the numbers of the person would help, or the sending of a test jacket as Insurrection USA does would be great, if the jacket fits, you keep it or return it for customize. A detail of every pattern with some numbers such as, if you're 38, choose 38 or size up or down would also be useful etc...
Cheers,
F68

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Aero can be hard to size.

I'm a 40 chest, 31" waist and a 38 30's HB fits me great.

The best is to go by measurements as others have said. My Aero Stockman fits me perfectly in a 34!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo