Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero '50's Half-Belt Configuaration Recomendations for a Mild Climate

Deacon

Familiar Face
I'd like to order an Aero FQHH '50's half-belt in the lightest configuration possible so that it's suitable for the very mild climate of the North Bay Area of San Francisco. My idea is to get one with the cotton twill lining, sans storm cuffs. Would this configuration be the best I could do to keeping this type of jacket as climate-appropriate as possible, or should I perhaps consider a different form of leather for my purposes?

Thanks in advanced for your input.

Deacon

I think you are right on with your selects so far...
You might try a mid-weight horsehide or Goatskin!
There have been a few beauties posted by Jan Solo and Rudie.
I live in SoCal, and can't wait to wear mine (30s FQHH), but it's been way too hot!
Best of luck!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I live in Texas and share the same concerns. Several months ago, I placed an order for a Highwaymen in medium weight horsehide with cotton drill lining (maximum strength/longevity) and without storm cuffs. My jacket should arrive before too much longer. Whether you order FQHH or MWHH, cotton drill lining would be the way to go IMO.

Midweight hide at the lightest. It's designed for a heavier hide. Drill is fine, but get the satin/sateen in the sleeves. For me, storm cuffs suck. If you wear watches or gloves, they're less useful and too warm for my liking. But it's all personal.
Tartan is not very warm, and looks cooler. Just my 2¢

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I live in Northern California. I have a 50s halfbelt, as well as the Highwayman and the normal FQHH with an alpaca lining is not a jacket that is too warm for the winter months around here. Even when the temp drops in to the 40s, it is not like it is a sheeplined jacket by any means. The main issue is not whether the FQHH is too warm, so much as it whether one likes the heavy leather, having to deal with breaking it in etc. These FQHH jackets are heavy. I have storm cuffs in the halfbelt, and they are loose enough that they don't bother me. My new Highwayman cuffs are still tight, a little bothersome. That said, I would prefer no storm cuffs if I have a choice.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Ditto the hide weight, leather jackets are not that warm to begin with. I have had highwaymans with both cotton and wool tartan, and while I could tell a small difference it's negligible when I layered a sweater underneath. Surprisingly I think the addition (or in this case subtraction) of storm cuffs might make the biggest difference.
I'm with butte tartans look much nicer than the cotton.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'd go goat or mid-weight horse. Our climate here isn't as warm as other parts of our nation (similar to parts of California) but anything as heavy FQHH is just uncomfortable to wear most times of the year. If you can borrow one and wear it for a while you can test it for yourself.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Seb. I had a 30s half belt in FQHH and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my 30s half belt in goat. I still think the brown FQHH is the most beautiful leather Aero have, though.

schitzo

Suspended
I always found aero FQHH jackets a bit uncomfortable, until my last one which fits me really well. Since no movement is restricted in that I can almost forget it's there. IMO I would say that FQHH is perfectly manageable for the regular length jackets i.e. the shorter ones but for anything below the waist it becomes less practical. As for linings, I agree the tartans look much better but in my experience - I've had maybe 4 jackets with that lining - it does keep the heat in more, and the difference is noticeable. So when I finally tried one with cotton drill I was pleasantly surprised, and I'll be sticking with that from now on

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
It depends which of the tartan weights you choose! there are 3 different weights and the lightest (Reiver) as Butte says is not a warm lining ,very little difference to the cotton but of a nicer appearance and a choice of over 500 different patterns, leather in itself is not warm, I personally don't find any discernable difference between the insulating properties of FQHH and Mid weight, some may prefer the lighter weight of Mid weight, extra weight doesn't bother me at all and to me the appearance of FQHH is far superior!

D

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
It depends which of the tartan weights you choose! there are 3 different weights and the lightest (Reiver) as Butte says is not a warm lining ,very little difference to the cotton but of a nicer appearance and a choice of over 500 different patterns, leather in itself is not warm, I personally don't find any discernable difference between the insulating properties of FQHH and Mid weight, some may prefer the lighter weight of Mid weight, extra weight doesn't bother me at all and to me the appearance of FQHH is far superior!

D

schitzo

Suspended
that's interesting. I never really thought too hard about the linings and did not realise that there are different weights of the tartan. I used to go with Black Stewart tartan, perhaps that's one of the heavier types?

NorCal is a great jacket place. You'd be fine with a tartan and midweight HH. Fanch has a midweight coming soon, so we'll see that soon.
FQHH requires some commitment. It's truly not a girlie hide. And I mean that to be a warning of sorts. Kinda like Iron Heart 21 oz denim. Like marriage vs a hooker. Marriage requires work, commitment, and tenacity. The others you can do with your eyes closed and not much effort. lol

trapp

Practically Family
Agreed, NorCal is a wonderful place to wear jackets.

Deacon, there's an active thread on aero's mid-weight oil pull that has some good information and excellent pictures of jackets made in that leather. You might want to check it out as you put your order together.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Deacon
Just dont get the storm cuffs for our climate its a waste & uncomfortable....unless you have a old Hog with a Sucideshifter & wide original handlebars...
i have 3 aero's all FQHH & they have diffrent linings the best is the cotton drill.....for the bay area....
& dont make the mistake of getting added leather to the lower inside lining.
it just creates a giant crease along the bottom & it gets uncomfortable sitting in the car on our bay area parking lots called freeways...
I do have one with a heavy tweed & a heavy codoury along the inner bottom liner...good choice for the cooler days with just a Henly underneath & the codoury will stand up to cool old biker/western belts too....& the FQHH makes a great rain coat when it pours in the bayarea it's not cold enough for layering....

Last edited:

Deacon

Familiar Face
I really appreciate all the great information; it's been very helpful in nailing down my order, and I've learned a lot, especially about the different aspects of the various linings. One other question, though: Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of, "shaved" FQHH? This version is supposed to have the lighter weight of the medium horsehide, but the more appealing aging qualities of the FQHH, which seems to be the best of both worlds.

pauleway

Practically Family
Jacket Linings

If you want a cotton lining and a tartan look, you could go with the Berry-Brown Tartan cotton lining. I have it in my 50's HB and it is a lighter style lining and looks great!

I really appreciate all the great information; it's been very helpful in nailing down my order, and I've learned a lot, especially about the different aspects of the various linings. One other question, though: Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of, "shaved" FQHH? This version is supposed to have the lighter weight of the medium horsehide, but the more appealing aging qualities of the FQHH, which seems to be the best of both worlds.

Deacon
I've seen several Aero A2s in shaved FQHH. Personally I'd much rather have that hide than the regular midweight HH. Much nicer grain and charactor. I suggest talking to Amanda about it..!
HD

Deacon

Familiar Face
I took HooierDaddy's suggestion and made an inquiry with Amanda regarding the shaved FQHH, and she said Aero only has the standard FQHH. So if I want a lighter jacket, my decision comes down to a choice between mid-weight HH or goatskin (my fallback will be to just go with the standard FQHH, but I know the resulting jacket will have much more closet time if I do). I'm leaning towards goatskin, but does anyone have any thoughts on the middle weight HH, i.e., its appearance after break-in, wear-ability, etcetera?

Thanks again,

Deacon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou