Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A2 "new with tags" on eBay....£250? Aroma de rodent?

I'm not sure how anyone would not know who Gibson and Fender are as they're as known and GM, Ford, and Chevy! As for acronyms, every hobby has 'em. That's why it's fun to read and learn along the way...learned a couple myself there. Never heard of NY prior to this lol

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
As a musician who's "played for pay" since Nixon was president... If you don't care about Fender or Gibson then you probably never been moved by Chuck, Jimi, Slow Hand, Stevie Ray, Carlos or any of a million guitar and bass players I could mention. A truly "American" invention we taught the world to play.

Worf

These terms are as foreign to me as Kupfer Cells, McBurneys point or Organ of Zuckerkandl are to you. C'mon man get educated.;)

Edward

Bartender
So how did you start your ebay feedback score?
I started by buying something, then a bit more, got burned a couple of times sending $$ to the US, bought a few more things from what looked like honest traders using money transfers, then PayPal was invented and made things easier.
After a around a year I thought I would start selling and built up from there. Got to about 1100 feedback and there seemed to be problems with 33% of my stuff arriving, usually the cheap, that is £30-50 items and anything not sent tracked. Baled out when I knew an item would go missing, Unsold till the last second and a BIN, with a zero feedback and sexually explicit eBay ID.
Started afresh now, dont sell anywhere near what I did and not as many bids as most of my postage has tracking of some sort fixed into it.

I still use eBay a lot, but for very different things than once I did. Not worth the hassle to sell on it for one thing. Recently tried to sell a Burberry trenchcoat on there. First thing was the system sent me an automatic warning before I posted it, practically accusing me of trying to shift a counterfeit. Then it had loads of watchers, but zero bids, two or three times. I well recognise the laws of the market, but equally There's comes a point where I'd rather not sell than basically give it away because eBay is full of cheap b******ds who want everything for nothing..... (unless they're selling, in which case that old, claimed 1950s (but could be eighties) wool suit is definitely worth a hundred quid, despite the fact that the trousers are moth eaten beyond repair.... arrgghh...).

I know what these abbreviations are : A2, B3, ELC, WWII, FL, US. And I know what the words refer to: Ebay,Indy, Irvin, Cirrus, Aero, Hoover, Brando, Wested, Perfecto, Buzz/Buzz Rickson, Scotch tape. Not too familiar with: Sellotape, Squier, Gibson, and Fender, but don't quite care.

Sellotape is a brand of clear sticky tape which has seen its name become used as the generic, catch-all term for all clear sticky tape in the UK. Same as Scotch Tape in the US. Gibson and Fender are the two biggest global brands in the electric guitar market - you'd recognise a Fender Stratocaster or a Gibson Les Paul if you saw one, assuming you've seen a picture of a few popular musicians of the last sixty years. ;) Squier are the budget arm of Fender.

I for the life of me don't know what ALC, and IWM are?

Caught above - yes, IWM is the Imperial War Museum. ALC = Aviation Leathercraft. They make a range of contemporary sheepskin jackets which they sell to the well-heeled, heritage market. Their advertising photos typically feature obviously wealthy thirty-somethings in T series MGs or posing beside Spitfires, all looking very much like they stepped right out of the 1980s. ALC are known in these circles because they own the exclusive licence for the "Irvin" name on sheepskin jackets. They do produce a quality product, but suffer badly against the likes of Eastman if historical accuracy is taken into account. Presumably most of their target market are happy with the name association and want added features like handwarmer pockets in an Irvin, don't care that the colour is 'off' against an original, or that the zips are 'too modern'. Those are the sort of things that very much do matter to an FL crowd. Horses for courses, of course. I'm not opposed to them as a company, they just don't produce what I would prefer. The irony that of all the people who make Irvin-type jackets ,though, the only ones allowed to use than name produce one of the least accurate jackets to the romanticised WW2 era product that makes the name so saleable just amuses me.

Pity the poor guy that just joined The Fedora Lounge, and started reading thru this thread.:)

Hey, some of us arrived here in the OFAS* days - you don't know how easy you got it! ;)

* Our Favourite Auction Site - OFAS - was a common term for eBay around here five years ago when I arrived. In the end the management called time on its use because they'd had enough of threads asking "What is OFAS?" lol

As a musician who's "played for pay" since Nixon was president... If you don't care about Fender or Gibson then you probably never been moved by Chuck, Jimi, Slow Hand, Stevie Ray, Carlos or any of a million guitar and bass players I could mention. A truly "American" invention we taught the world to play.

Worf

Well..... ceptin' it took the Brits (in the form of the Beatles and the Stones) to turn you guys on to your own heritage, Jimi only made it after he cane to London (a prophet in his own land, and all that), and Slow Hand is very much an Englishman..... ;)

I got no dog in this fight myself, I'm Irish, not a Brit. We just invented rock and roll. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner