Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Apprentice-Made Section

Aero have placed a new Apprentice-Made section on the website. Jackets with some imperfections are available with defects listed. Of course, they're much less than the regular jackets, so it might be a good chance to get a jacket - an imperfect jacket - for less.

Aero Apprentice-Made Jackets

Scott

Edward

Bartender
Well worth it! My Highwayman is an Apprentice-Made model I bought last Spring. It's a cracking jacket. I paid about half price or a little less, and I can't find a flaw. If you're looking for a Highwayman and you're prepared to wait until one comes up in your size, I'd say go for it. Two qualifiers:

1] You might have to wait a while to get your choice of hide (they obviously start them off on the cheaper hides, so if you want FQHH, you might have to wait longer). FWIW, mine is Steer, and I believe it to be the lighter, European Steer - it's not the armour-like heavy steer. It's a beautiful hide. About as thick as my FQHH Aero jackets, but much more pliable. The look and drape is perfect for the late 50s Lewises and the likes on which this design is based (tough actually still a fair bit more durable than a lot of original Lewises I have seen!). In terms of weight of the jacket, I'd put it about on a par with the average A2.

2] These apprentice jackets are made to the standard Aero pattern, which means no internal pockets.

The Marlowe AM Highwayman:

IMG_20120321_110241.jpg

KevG

New in Town
Love the steerhide hwm

I know I'll get stick for this, but had to return my fqhh hwm as just too heavy for me

Love the steerhide hwmI know I'll get stick for this, but had to return my fqhh hwm as just too heavy for me
I'd wager more than you realize this after ordering. I've always stated that it's not for everyone. You really have to understand it's some work to own one of those FQHH jackets.

KevG

New in Town
I'd wager more than you realize this after ordering. I've always stated that it's not for everyone. You really have to understand it's some work to own one of those FQHH jackets.

It was all part of the journey of becoming an A1, A2, B10 kinda guy :)

Edward

Bartender
I'm a big fan of the FQHH - have a couple - but I actually lean to the view that the Highwayman is a pattern that actually sits better in a lighter hide.

I would agree Edward. I had (briefly) a Steer HWM and it was awesome. The peanut gallery though determined it to be too large, so I sold it. But it was a nice hide, and if I got another, it would be in steer again or the middleweight HH.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I'm a big fan of the FQHH - have a couple - but I actually lean to the view that the Highwayman is a pattern that actually sits better in a lighter hide.
+1 The lighter hides "drape" better than a thick, stiff FQHH and I think the overall look of the Highwayman is improved. Of course I think that every Highwayman can be improved with an additional 2 inches of length (and no, we don't need any "That's what she said" jokes...)

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
As usual, too small for me... even in used, seconds, and practice coats.... Dammit I HAVE a chest!

Worf

Sorry Worf, on the whole we're keeping the trainees on the most common sizing, but what size are you looking for and maybe I can have a word with our cutters.

Please keep an eye on this section, I've just added a few more jackets to the 'Apprentice Lot One', as more jackets of the same leather/design are made. So any future lots being put up may be updated reasonably frequently.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Worf, on the whole we're keeping the trainees on the most common sizing, but what size are you looking for and maybe I can have a word with our cutters.

Please keep an eye on this section, I've just added a few more jackets to the 'Apprentice Lot One', as more jackets of the same leather/design are made. So any future lots being put up may be updated reasonably frequently.

Thanks for your kind response... you guys/gals truly are "aces" in my book. I was speaking mostly in jest. Owning a custom Aero is a dream for me that I will get to one day suppose. However if I could pick one up within my current budget I'd jump on it. Trust me I look at the "specials" and "used" sections every single day and scour ebay as well. Sooner or later I'll get one. I still lift weights for exercise and I used to play American football in the service. I've broad shoulders that are still thickly muscled. As a result, off the rack doesn't usually work for me. I'm a size 52 in most of your designs... but I'm still losing weight. If I can ever become a size 48 like my good friend Butte, we'll be having a different conversation altogether more along the lines of what lining I want and which hide.

I must admit it kinda irks me to see guys complaining about the fit of jackets and coats because their shoulders are to narrow or their chests too small. I'd pay good money to have THAT problem, but I digress... Again, thanks for your response, you didn't have to, I was just grousing, but by responding you've made another friend for Aero...

Worf

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Thanks for your kind response... you guys/gals truly are "aces" in my book. I was speaking mostly in jest. Owning a custom Aero is a dream for me that I will get to one day suppose. However if I could pick one up within my current budget I'd jump on it. Trust me I look at the "specials" and "used" sections every single day and scour ebay as well. Sooner or later I'll get one. I still lift weights for exercise and I used to play American football in the service. I've broad shoulders that are still thickly muscled. As a result, off the rack doesn't usually work for me. I'm a size 52 in most of your designs... but I'm still losing weight. If I can ever become a size 48 like my good friend Butte, we'll be having a different conversation altogether more along the lines of what lining I want and which hide.

I must admit it kinda irks me to see guys complaining about the fit of jackets and coats because their shoulders are to narrow or their chests too small. I'd pay good money to have THAT problem, but I digress... Again, thanks for your response, you didn't have to, I was just grousing, but by responding you've made another friend for Aero...

Worf

No worries, good luck with the weight loss and hopefully we can get something to you soon! :)

I know how you feel Worf buddy. I wasn't as wide and muscular as you, but none of the (custom) makers sans Aero made jackets my size when I started the jacket quest. I was really disappointed. Every single place I emailed/called said "Sorry, we only go to a 48".
Your turn will come. And when it does, it's still not over. It never ends.

cornish1970

New in Town
Apprentice made

No worries, good luck with the weight loss and hopefully we can get something to you soon! :)

Can I call you and talk about an apprentice made in a certain size?

Looking for a highwayman in brown and I am a 40" chest and a 32" waist but 6ft tall. Will the standard 40" highwayman fit?

Cheers

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Can I call you and talk about an apprentice made in a certain size?

Looking for a highwayman in brown and I am a 40" chest and a 32" waist but 6ft tall. Will the standard 40" highwayman fit?

Cheers

Email Amanda at amanda@aeroleatherclothing.com or call the factory on 01896 755353 to discuss sizing. I'm afraid we don't do custom orders for apprentice made jackets, but she'll be able to advise you on sizing. Oldcrow82 is right, that the Highwayman is a boxy cut, but can be tapered to your tastes with the cinch belts on the waist. Best to discuss with Amanda, she's an expert in sizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner