Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Armholes

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Has anyone ever worked with Aero to customize the armholes on a jacket?

I am not a fan of low armholes, which is standard on the jacket I am ordering (Barnstormer), but I don't know whether a) Aero would be willing to change them or b) whether it would be worth putting smaller armholes on such a heavy jacket.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I have a Barnstormer and the armholes are not as bad as my Halfbelt. I never really considered it an issue on the Barnstormer while the Halfbelt is terrible.

Edward

Bartender
(Nice avatar, BTW, HDRnR - Johnny Winters?). I've never had a problem with any of my Aeros (MC 'Brando' model, AN6552, A2 (goat), Bootlegger, Half Belt) - indeed, if they were any higher they would start to become uncomfortable.

HD, is your halfbelt the Fifties model? Mine's a Thirties, not sure of there's any difference between them on that score.

With the Barnstormer, I'd be careful of wanting them too high; even if Aero's patterns allow for such an alteration, you have the bear in mind that it's a heavy outer coat designed to be worn when maximum warmth is required. The upshot of this is that it is designed to accommodate a lot of layers, thich sweaters or other, lighter jackets being worn beneath it. Go too tight with the fit and you risk a jacket that can't take the extra layers you need in Winter, and yet is too hot for wearing over just a light shirt or t shirt in Summer.

(Nice avatar, BTW, HDRnR - Johnny Winters?). I've never had a problem with any of my Aeros (MC 'Brando' model, AN6552, A2 (goat), Bootlegger, Half Belt) - indeed, if they were any higher they would start to become uncomfortable.

HD, is your halfbelt the Fifties model? Mine's a Thirties, not sure of there's any difference between them on that score.

With the Barnstormer, I'd be careful of wanting them too high; even if Aero's patterns allow for such an alteration, you have the bear in mind that it's a heavy outer coat designed to be worn when maximum warmth is required. The upshot of this is that it is designed to accommodate a lot of layers, thich sweaters or other, lighter jackets being worn beneath it. Go too tight with the fit and you risk a jacket that can't take the extra layers you need in Winter, and yet is too hot for wearing over just a light shirt or t shirt in Summer.

Edward
All of my HalfBelts are the slimmer fit '30s model with narrower button cuff sleeves and higher armholes...whereas my Bootlegger is more like the '50s HB in construction with the wider sleeve and lower armholes...as well as my Highwayman. In fact these '50 style Aero jackets do mimic many origional jackets of that period. The '50s style armhole has never bothered me..but I do prefer somewhat the '30s cut and style.
HD

Edward
Actually in retrospect..and since my jackets are not nearby to examine right now...the '30s HB armholes may not be much different than the '50s style...but only deceptive due to the narrower sleeve. In any event..IMO they work well being easy to slip in and out of. However,I do understand why some would prefer a smaller opening..or higher set sleeve. I do think there are pros and cons for each style.
HD

HDRnR

A-List Customer

Edward, correct, Johnny Winter. My Halfbelt is a 50's model, its interesting to compare it to any other jacket with it unzipped and raise my arm and watch the whole side of the jacket lift up. Then compare it to other jackets, some lift a little and some barely at all.

blethook

One of the Regulars
That's right... I used to have a long half-belt from the 50s, and the armholes are in fact as large as those of the Aero's. However, because the hide has become well broken in, raising my arms didn't cause the jacket to lift up..

Edward
All of my HalfBelts are the slimmer fit '30s model with narrower button cuff sleeves and higher armholes...whereas my Bootlegger is more like the '50s HB in construction with the wider sleeve and lower armholes...as well as my Highwayman. In fact these '50 style Aero jackets do mimic many origional jackets of that period. The '50s style armhole has never bothered me..but I do prefer somewhat the '30s cut and style.
HD

Radu

Familiar Face
Hi,
All you have to do is to ask Aero for 1" higher armholes and it will be ok. I had a brown heavy HH HWM with regular armholes and it was a little uncomfortable especial when driving. Now I have , from 1 month, a black HWM in their very very heavy steerhide with 1" higher armholes and it is perfect even the hide is much much thick than their heavy HH.

But beware what you will wear under the jacket. If you will wear a suit , probably the lower armholes is what you will need.

I saw that some say ( not only on this thread ) that Halfbelt is cut with higher armholes. Wrong. The Halfbelt armholes are as low as HWM or other classic (30-50's) Aero jacket.

Last edited:

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Hi,
All you have to do is to ask Aero for 1" higher armholes and it will be ok. I had a brown heavy HH HWM with regular armholes and it was a little uncomfortable especial when driving. Now I have , from 1 month, a black HWM in their very very heavy steerhide with 1" higher armholes and it is perfect even the hide is much much thick than their heavy HH.

But beware what you will wear under the jacket. If you will wear a suit , probably the lower armholes is what you will need.

I saw that some say ( not only on this thread ) that Halfbelt is cut with higher armholes. Wrong. The Halfbelt armholes are as low as HWM or other classic (30-50's) Aero jacket.

Does this 1" reduction in the armhole make the sleeves seem longer when standing with your arms relaxed? Also does it take away from the Highwayman look?

Brian

Radu

Familiar Face
Does this 1" reduction in the armhole make the sleeves seem longer when standing with your arms relaxed? Also does it take away from the Highwayman look?

Brian

Hi Brian,
The sleeves look doesn't change at all. Don't seem longer than my old HWM because the shoulder to cuff length is the same.

And the jacket look, from my point of view, like a veritable classic HWM, but maybe a little versatile because of higher armholes.

HWMBK5resize.jpg

Hope this help.
Have a nice week,
Radu

Radu

Familiar Face
Thanks Nick. I finally managed to get close to perfect fit for a HWM. But the hide.... wow, I didn't understand what very heavy steerhide means until I dressed up the jacket for the first time :) .

Edward

Bartender
Yes, nice Highywayman. It's a model I've shied away from as it always looked a bit 'boxy' to me. Yours looks closer to the neater fit of the 60s Lewis Dominators and Corsairs to my eye.

Edward
Actually in retrospect..and since my jackets are not nearby to examine right now...the '30s HB armholes may not be much different than the '50s style...but only deceptive due to the narrower sleeve. In any event..IMO they work well being easy to slip in and out of. However,I do understand why some would prefer a smaller opening..or higher set sleeve. I do think there are pros and cons for each style.
HD

Yes, I hadn't thought of that - makes sense, though. I know I don't find any difference on that score between my Bootlegger and Halfbelt, though the sleeves n the former are fractionally wide on the bicep, tapering to the Thirties-Halfbelt style button cuffs I requested as a variation on the standard design.

Edward, correct, Johnny Winter. My Halfbelt is a 50's model, its interesting to compare it to any other jacket with it unzipped and raise my arm and watch the whole side of the jacket lift up. Then compare it to other jackets, some lift a little and some barely at all.
That's right... I used to have a long half-belt from the 50s, and the armholes are in fact as large as those of the Aero's. However, because the hide has become well broken in, raising my arms didn't cause the jacket to lift up..

I've never had that problem on my Aeros, but it certainly is something that will, I think , lessen with break-in. It's interesting to know Aero can reduce the hole by an inch, though on my own jackets, that would mean the armhole seam would actually be rubbing on my armpit all the time, as opposed to being the inch or so from it that they are at present (and which I prefer). We're none of us a 'standard' size, though, so I'm probably just closer the average in that respect, hence closer the idea fit on the standard pattern.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
Hi Brian,
The sleeves look doesn't change at all. Don't seem longer than my old HWM because the shoulder to cuff length is the same.

And the jacket look, from my point of view, like a veritable classic HWM, but maybe a little versatile because of higher armholes.

HWMBK5resize.jpg

Hope this help.
Have a nice week,
Radu
Thanks for the reply and pic! Yes, this is very helpful. Jacket looks great! And fantastic fit as well.

Thanks, Radu

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the replies.

However,I do understand why some would prefer a smaller opening..or higher set sleeve. I do think there are pros and cons for each style.
HD

I hadn't quite thought out that there is a difference between the size of the armholes and where they are set. What I really want to avoid is the "shoulder pad" look (and restriction) when I raise my arms. So maybe what I really want is not smaller armholes but a higher set sleeve. Any ideas on whether Aero could accomodate this? I wonder if it would alter the pattern too much.

Mad w/o power

New in Town
Higher sleeve = smaller arm hole. You can't change the height of the of the top of the arm hole; that's the top of the jacket! Simply raising the bottom of the arm hole, as opposed to making it smaller, would create a horizontal oval shape for the arm hole.

JLStorm

Practically Family
This reply is a bit late, but Aero can do just about anything you want. I have large arms and a broad chest which make normal arm holes really uncomfortable. I have aero make my jacekts with wider than normal sleeves and lower the armholes. Honestly, the only time Ive had aero tell me they cant do anything is requests that push the limitations of their equipment. Just make sure you go right to the source and order from Amanda or Will.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
This reply is a bit late, but Aero can do just about anything you want. I have large arms and a broad chest which make normal arm holes really uncomfortable. I have aero make my jacekts with wider than normal sleeves and lower the armholes. Honestly, the only time Ive had aero tell me they cant do anything is requests that push the limitations of their equipment. Just make sure you go right to the source and order from Amanda or Will.

Thanks for your advice. Actually, it isn't too late, as I just placed my order at the beginning of the month.

I wouldn't call my arms large, but I probably have slightly thicker shoulders and arms than many people my chest size. This, I think, explains why I often find myself going up a size in suits.

I hate to bother Aero again, but perhaps I will ask Amanda what size armhole a size 36 Barnstormer has and compare it to a jacket I have that is comfortable.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Thanks for your advice. Actually, it isn't too late, as I just placed my order at the beginning of the month.

I wouldn't call my arms large, but I probably have slightly thicker shoulders and arms than many people my chest size. This, I think, explains why I often find myself going up a size in suits.

I hate to bother Aero again, but perhaps I will ask Amanda what size armhole a size 36 Barnstormer has and compare it to a jacket I have that is comfortable.

My first aero took close to 100 emails to sort out (extremely customized). I'm pretty sure Amanda is used to getting multiple emails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner