Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aero b-3 arrived , comparison with my Eastman b-3

trialsallday

One of the Regulars
These shots look alittle less bulky
Wow it's a toss up though . This mornings crowd favored the aero , but the afternoon crowd favors the Eastman lol!
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG

trialsallday

One of the Regulars
Both look great but in the 'passive stance' the Eastman sleeves only look around and inch shorter than the Aero. Now we come to the 'Zombie strangle' and the sleeves of the Eastman look around 2ins shorter than the Aero. So if I'm auditioning for a part in the Walking Dead, it's Aero all the way.
Seriously how do the sleeves feel when in a driving position or doing something natural such as walking a dog, chopping wood or some other outdoor activity.
I like to turn my cuffs back so I would go with the Aero, both would look ok with a pair of A10s.
I'm guessing the sleeve fit is down to the shoulders so which ever is the most comfortable is what is most important.
Yes rocketeer , in the passive stance ....
Well the aero has VERY tight cuffs !!
The extra length is distributed in the folds and puffiness along the arm , where's the Eastman is what u see is what u get .

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eastman here too for shape & fleece, that Aero colour is rather splendid though :)

A B-3 looks a very attractive proposition over here at present with the current COLD snap.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes rocketeer , in the passive stance ....
Well the aero has VERY tight cuffs !!
The extra length is distributed in the folds and puffiness along the arm , where's the Eastman is what u see is what u get .
If you went for the Aero, could you not get wider cuffs? I have an Eastman and there are pleats at the cuffs, I imagine Aero's is the same so they could fit a wider size.
I like both.

Stand By

One Too Many
Tricky. But I prefer the Aero.
For me, the fit trumps any fleece thickness/tailoring/colour preferences of the ELC. All those are nothing if the fit isn't right - and I know what you mean about the short arms on the ELC. No, nobody does the Frankenstein walk to the pub, but it's there, isn't it? It'd annoy me too - and the Aero fits perfectly.
I do personally prefer the shorter nap on the ELC sheepskin and the colours are very classic B-3 - but then the redskin is synonymous with the early air crews around 1942-early '43 (and my ELC RW B-3 is a redskin too as I like that era), and Aero's looks very fine and authentic indeed - and it rocks. And it looks like it was made for you.
And as for the longer fleece on the Aero, it'll darken and settle down beautifully over the years in all the inclement weather you can manage ... and as it's the warmer jacket, I'd say sell off the ELC B-3 and get a lighter weight ELC B-6 - with longer arms and in the bitter chocolate/russet tones that your girlfriend likes so much, so you get the best of both worlds. Now that's a win-win!
But you've got a cracker there to be proud of. Enjoy it in good health!

Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
As someone whose bothered by it when I've had jackets that (don't) fit that way, the 'Zombie Stance' thing comes in every time you drive, reach up to unlock a door, travel on any kind of public transport, do basically anything that involves raising you arms half way.

I mean I get it doesn't bother some people but if you are one of those people it does bother then its the difference between wearing a jacket and bypassing it in the wardrobe. And I'd rather have a jacket that didn't do it, much more than one that did.

trialsallday

One of the Regulars
If you went for the Aero, could you not get wider cuffs? I have an Eastman and there are pleats at the cuffs, I imagine Aero's is the same so they could fit a wider size.
I like both.
For sure , but this was one of there winter quartermaster sales . You get what you get :)

trialsallday

One of the Regulars
Tricky. But I prefer the Aero.
For me, the fit trumps any fleece thickness/tailoring/colour preferences of the ELC. All those are nothing if the fit isn't right - and I know what you man about the short arms on the ELC. No, nobody does the Frankenstein walk to the pub, but it's there, isn't it? It'd annoy me too - and the Aero fits perfectly.
I do personally prefer the shorter nap on the ELC sheepskin and the colours are very classic B-3 - but then the redskin is synonymous with the early air crews around 1942-early '43 (and my ELC RW B-3 is a redskin too as I like that era), and Aero's looks very fine and authentic indeed - and it rocks. And it looks like it was made for you.
And as for the longer fleece on the Aero, it'll darken and settle down beautifully over the years in all the inclement weather you can manage ... and as it's the warmer jacket, I'd say sell off the ELC B-3 and get a lighter weight ELC B-6 - with longer arms and in the bitter chocolate/russet tones that your girlfriend likes so much, so you get the best of both worlds. Now that's a win-win!
But you've got a cracker there to be proud of. Enjoy it in good health!
And I really appreciate these detailed feedback guys. Keep them coming !

CBI

One Too Many
Enjoy your dilemma!

First of all, you are way better positioned than most as the wife actually LIKES the Eastman! Sexy/er in it………..SH**! Now let me think……………jacket vs. sex life!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean REALLY, you are trying to decide…………about what? If she likes it, keep the ELC. Actually, the real answer that would take care of everything based on your photos is a size 46 Eastman (unless you tried that already). The 46 will give you the roominess of the Aero with the cool look of the ELC. IMO, I really dislike the Aero color. The outdoor light pics I have seen of these look way more red than any original reddish B-3’s I have ever seen and it's an odd finish. Also, is not the hardware better on the ELC? If you do go up to an ELC in 46, the Misses might not like the looser fit...........something she will need to decide. Also, keep the lady happy, be “responsible” and just keep one. Having NOT done that over the years I can attest to how much better off you will be keeping her happy and with the extra $ you might be able to get a completely different style high-end jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
The short sleeves on the Eastman would drive me to distraction, even without the Zombie strangle stance. They aren't that short, but would be too short for me. Others may not be bothered by it.

Stand By

One Too Many
I was on the morning dog walks in the dark this morning and thinking about your tragic dilemma here - and, IMHO, I still think that a lateral move to a B-6 is the solution - as I was wearing mine at the time! It's the perfect Fall/Autumn jacket jacket and mine has been worn daily for many weeks now - and when I need/wish to, I wear my ELC C-3 beneath it and it just works at this time of year. It's perfect and has the similar look you're after. It just isn't B-3 weather - not yet. But it soon will be, and then the B-3 will be on every day (and sometimes with the C-3 again) and so you have more flexibility with the jackets we all love so much...
Nobody needs two B-3's, let's face it. I have a B-6 and it's great for now - and when it gets cold, I love to lift out my trusty ol' ELC RW B-3, but it's now 11/12 years old and the sheepskin pile has flattened over the years and it seems more like a beefy B-6 to me these days - so when it gets colder still, I lift out my ELC Irvin which is warmer ... and because I have the B-3 and Irvin, I can't justify an ANJ-4 to myself as I have them both to add enough variation to what I wear so I don't get bored of the same look (as opposed to wearing just one jacket all Winter long. And the Winters here are long!) ... but they're all different types and there's much to enjoy in that.
Two jackets of the same design but from different makers alone wouldn't make me want to keep both. But that's just me. And I envy your dilemma! We should all be so lucky ...! If only. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner